RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   Old Carden Kits: Build them or Store them? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/785941-old-carden-kits-build-them-store-them.html)

rthorne 05-19-2003 07:53 PM

Old Carden Kits: Build them or Store them?

I purchased a couple of Carden kits at our fun fly this weekend. According to Caroline of Carden they have been out of production since the early 90's.

The two specific kits are the Sidewinder and Paydirt kits, both appear to be 60 size kits.

I'm not much of a collector but Caroline tells me they only ran about 100 of each kit. So I obviosly have a couple of rare kits. Theres nothing real special about the kits. The wings are foam and the rest of the plane is built up.

So for you collectors out there should I build them and enjoy flying them or put them up in the closet? I'm leaning towards building them. If the are anything like my Carden 35% Edge I'm building I'm sure they will be excellent flyers.

Thanks in advance.

R. C. Day 05-20-2003 01:24 AM

Rich,

Do both!

Copy the plans full size before they start deteriorating at the fold lines (like my old kit/plans have).

Create templates from the parts to duplicate what is not on the plans.

Build a copy using the old plan and the templates. Now you can build and fly a copy and still keep the original wood and a fresh set of plans.

Just my way of having my cake and eating it too.

R. C.

rthorne 05-20-2003 01:49 AM

RC

Now why didn't I think of that? Your idea will be a piece of cake. Theres not much to this kit, a few plywood formers and a bunch of blasa. The wings are foam, but I can make a template out of masonite so I can cut the wings.

rrandletn 05-20-2003 08:45 PM

This is way to do it. I purchased a Skooter II kit and a Kraft Wingmaster kit. Both kits were discontinued back in the 70's and 80's. The wingmaster, I have not only built the plane from my parts but I'm also creating a modified version. The Skooter II kit, I not only traced all the parts but I have also sold foam wings cores, and copies of the traced parts sheet and the original instruction page.

rthorne 05-20-2003 09:43 PM

I may even take the plans to Kinko's and enlarge the plan and make it big enough to be a gasser. That would be fun.

dennis 05-21-2003 03:39 AM

It's funny to see these 2 kits mentioned. There has been one of each in my local hobby shop for years. He was never able to sell them.
If someone wants them they are still there
1 570 668 2288
ask for Gill Walters the owner and go from there.
Thanks Dennis

RobStagis 06-07-2003 10:21 AM

Don't collect - FLY!

gixxerjack 08-15-2010 10:05 AM

RE: Old Carden Kits: Build them or Store them?

I was given an old Carden Sidewinder kit last week. It is complete except for theinstruction book.I called Dennis & Caroline over at Carden Aircraft and they are sending me a copy. I plan on buildingand flying it with the recommendations from Dennis.

Jack

papermache 08-16-2010 07:45 AM

If I collected guitars and never played them, most people would consider that a waste. Same with kits. Build them, fly them. Make templates and keep the plans so you can repair them if needed. Save the templates and plans, but build the kit. Life is too short, and besides, the templates and plans take up less room.

papermache

HighPlains 08-16-2010 08:02 AM

It's a slippery slope. If your building keeps up with your buying you are not collecting. But if you have picked up a dozen or so kits while other projects occupy your time, it could go either way. When you start discovering kits in your stash you completely forgot about, it may be too late.