Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

CG Tiger 60

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:08 AM
matadco
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG Tiger 60

I just completed and covered a CG Tiger 60. I first built the 40 back in the 80s and thought I would now build the bigger one. I have it powered with a Saito 72. My first problem is the location of the main gears. In order to have the bird sit on all three legs it was necessary to bend the mains backwards about 2 inches. My next problem is balance. According to plans the balance point is from 4 3/4" to 5 3/4" back of leading edge. In order to balance it is going to take approximately 4 oz of nose weight. That equals 16 1/4os weights. That is grossly more than any other model I have ever built, which is about all the GP, TF and CG over the last 35 plus years. I have the battery as far into the nose possible. Of course the 3 servos could add some nose weight, but according to plans they mount at the rear of the cabin area. It appears the elevator is an exceptional long moment. Of course that will make it slow to respond to elevation change. I could add engine weight by changing to a Saito 100 but that might be somewhat over powered. Also I don't know the diffference in weight and if that would that solve the 4 oz necessary to balance. I have never had this problem in any past models. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:57 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: CG Tiger 60

Matt, you bent the gear BEFORE you balanced the plane?

Why do you think a long tail moment is going to make it "slow to respond"?

My first one back in the last half of the 90's flew with an ST 90 and it was "light" on the nosewheel but it flew with the cg just slightly ahead of the designed gear location. In other words without fuel it would sit on its tail if promped to "sit".

Don't remember how much weight mine took but in CG is in CG go to Academy and buy 2 oz fishing weights and screw them to the engine mount.

Tom at the TORKS
Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 AM
matadco
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CG Tiger 60

Thanks Tom, I bent the gear because it would not sit on the noise wheel, tail heavy. While I don't have any problem adding weight, seems like 2 oz is a lot and will make the bird grossly heavy. Usually it is the noise thats heavy, not the tail. Normally repositioning the battery is sufficent to balance. Missed you at the Westside GAD!!