Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

GP Lancair 60 stab joiner tubes.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 07:06 AM
Barfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Lancair 60 stab joiner tubes.

Bought the plane third hand, the builder epoxied the stabs on. I need 'em off to fit in my little car. The joiner tube appears to be the large size (anodized gold) but the manual addendum says this is replaced by a 1/4" one. I dunno how the builder got the large one to fit, I'm worried he drilled out the holes and may have weakened the whole installation.

Question: What is inside the stab halves to guide the tubes? Is there a fiberglass, plastic or paper tube, or just a series of holes through the ribs?

I would like to know this before I make a strenuous effort to pull the stabs off, with the risk of internal damage. Otherwise, no choice but to epoxy it all together again and live with it.

Cheers from the Barfly.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: GP Lancair 60 stab joiner tubes.

If you try to pull the stabilizers off your model, when they've been epoxied in, you'll likely destroy them. It would be of little consequence how the tubes are installed in the stabilizer. The tubes are glued to the stab, and if the joiner was epoxied into the tubes, it's permanent.

If the kit was purchased after mid-2003, then it would have the updated tubes. The only difference is the thicker walls. The O.D. is the same. The stabilizer halves would not have to be altered to use either the older or newer tubes.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:07 AM
Barfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Lancair 60 stab joiner tubes.

Bax,

Since my first post, I did try to pull the stabs of the tubes. I applied a stupid amount of tension. No go, nothing broke, nothing let go! I was amazed I didn't break something. It's STRONG!!

So, I am epoxying the assembly through the fuselage and will live with it.... somehow.

Thanks for your response.

Cheers from the Barfly.