RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/great-planes-topflite-duraplane-us-aircore-55/)
-   -   Sport Fliers Have Few Choices (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/great-planes-topflite-duraplane-us-aircore-55/1772116-sport-fliers-have-few-choices.html)

bojangle 04-29-2004 07:37 PM

Sport Fliers Have Few Choices

I am a sport flier. Which means I do not fly pattern, 3D, competition, etc. I am sick of Extras, Caps, Sukhois, etc. I fly for relaxation, an escape from busy and tiring days. If all I wanted to do was "hover", I would build a heli.

My favorite plane is an 8 year old Super Sportster 40. It has Trike gear, which I need for my grass fields, and a single aileron servo. It flies great. No flutter, no problem.

I would like to get a new kit, but choices for my preference are limited. Practically all of the kits now have conventional gear, no choice. Companies are pushing dual aileron servos, which are not needed for sport flying. It will of course sell more servos, which means more money. The option for single servo setup is gone.

I considered another Sportster, but the trike gear option is gone. I was looking forward to the Rapture, but again no trike option. I'm a "master builder", so of course I could make the modifications. But why buy an expensive kit if I have to buy extra parts to get what I want?
Of all the kits made, the only one that meets my needs is the Goldberg Tiger, it was designed for sport fliers, and still is. They left things alone, and didn't ruin it by over engineered upgrades.

I just wanted to say that the kit companies are turning their back on a very large consumer group, all sport fliers like me. I guess my problem is that I have been building for more than 50 years, and possibly know more about designing fun planes than the companies? Am I arrogant? Perhaps, but even the most successful companies will one day fail when they stop listening to the voice of the consumer. The kits are better than ever quality wise, but please give us choices. For the present, it's back to scratch building for me.

BO

Bax 05-03-2004 01:18 PM

RE: Sport Fliers Have Few Choices

Thank you for your comments. We've passed them on to the Great Planes kits product team.

About the only thing we can comment about is that every new kit/ARF model is very carefully considered, based upon sales of previous kits, what feedback we get, and what is "hot". The current configurations are derived from much feedback and observation of what people are actually flying.

crookeder150 05-18-2004 07:51 PM

RE: Sport Fliers Have Few Choices

I just completed a GP Ultrasport 40 + for my friend Ray.It is pretty much his second plane after a superstar 40. I set it up w/trike gear because that is what he is used to.It is a very nice & complete kit & has 3 landing gear configurations to choose from.I installed an OS .50 on his & it is as docile as you could wish for @ 1/2 throttle & low rates but if you want to get a little daring just flip the hi switch & have a blast!I have now flown his US40 about 6 times & plan on building one for myself w/retracts & a 70 four-stroke.It builds quick & uses any standard r/c equipment & it looks & flies great.You might want to check it out before thinking the mfg companies have left you out in the cold.I hope this info puts you onto something usefull & enjoyable. Good luck & happy landings, Kelley