Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Wanting to get axe cp as first heli

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Wanting to get axe cp as first heli

Old 01-08-2007, 07:32 PM
carfanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to get axe cp as first heli

I"m wanting to get a heli, and after my research so far, it seems this is a great little guy to get started with. It offers enough I can grow and not get bored with it in 6 months. IS this your first heli for most of you?? WHat opinions / recomendations do you all have?

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2007, 10:27 PM
fastie

Default RE: Wanting to get axe cp as first heli

For the money a great buy, but beware of parts availability. Read other posts and there is someone on this board if you do a search who compares the AXE CP and the Blade CP. I for one wish I started with a co-axial helicopter first since I am breaking everything; but my poor patience is most to blame
Old 01-08-2007, 11:25 PM
carfanatic

I Want something that I can learn with slowly, but I wont be bored with in a month.. for the price I think it seems like a great heli. I plan on practcing indoors to get the hovering and basic techniques down.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Heli Bat

I think the AXE is a good starter becuase of the mechanics of eCCPM. Since you are starting out I suggest two things in this order:

If you can manage to get the Great Planes 3.5 Real Flight Simulator, I would suggest very highly that you do this. It has the AXE Cp included in the Heli Lineup to choose from.

The size of the Heli makes it a little bit squirlly and nervous acting to fly, but you will get used to it.

Next on the list is use the training gear. I know it might seem laughable, but you won't be laughing when you crash it. There are two kinds of RC Helicopter pilots:those that have crashed and those that will.

Someone made an extension to their training gear and made the rods a little longer. this is great too. I probably should have tried this.

I had my Real Flight Sim for about a year, then I finally got the Heli. I can say that it has paid off for me tremendously.

Heli Bat
Old 01-09-2007, 05:13 AM
ElectricHead

What Heli Bat said is dead on. Axe is my first heli and I think it is a good starter. My LHS will sell time on RealFlight G3.5 for $10 per hour. If you don't have a sim then perhaps your LHS may do this for you. Be best money you could spend to help yourself out. I also used Radd's school of rotary flight method and that was well worth the time spent.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:45 AM
Two Handed Axe

I see that you are from Cinci, the LHS I got mine from has lessons to offer. I may take them up on it here in the future, they offer a discount if you bought from them. They also have a good base of spare parts available in case of a disaster.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:17 PM
carfanatic

are you talking about world of hobbies??? I know they give lessons.. THey also have the simulator there, its free to try, people are always on it though!! I got to use it the other day for a bit, man it was alot of fun.

how are these simulators?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-USB-RC-ESKY-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-09-2007, 07:22 PM
carfanatic

also where can I read about this radds school?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Two Handed Axe

I tried the sim the other day but it seems to be the hot spot in there. They had alot of Axes when I got mine but I think they sold them all unless they have more on the way, they should anyhow. Here is the link to Radds school......http://www.dream-models.com/index.html I started to read some of it and it seems alright.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:59 PM
carfanatic

I could be retarded, but I couldn't find anything about RADD on there? []
Old 01-10-2007, 12:29 AM
robmoney

Buy A Blade CP Pro.... Parts are available everywhere.... Do the HH gyro, Brushless, and the direct drive tail motor mod and it will fly he pants off the Axe CP....

CP PRO is 50 bux more and you get 800 lipo and balance charger with it!

Axe CP flies big and heavy for what it is, NO POWER!

IMO!
Old 01-10-2007, 02:39 AM
fastie

Why not just save time and get a ALign T-REX? But, I do have to say - I am thinking about getting the Blade since parts are cheaper.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:41 AM
carfanatic

the blade looks alot more fragile to me.. Since I'm a beginner its obviously at some point going to crash... I dunno if the local store stocks the blade stuff, I know they stock axe parts.. there made by the same company aren't they?
Old 01-10-2007, 09:49 AM
COPO

Try this link. This is RADDS School of rotary flight. I am going to give this a try.

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html
Old 01-10-2007, 10:43 AM
robmoney

I looked closley at my LHS that is a Helimax dealer. The Axe CP addresses several weaknesses in the Balde CP design, yet a Helimax dealer local had ZERO parts for them....

When you fly a heli, it's not IF you crash, it is WHEN you crash...

Parts supply is a HUGE thing... Think about it...

Knowing what I know now, I would try an Axe CP if parts were at EVERY hobby store around like the Eflite heli's and as cheap as the Blade...

Also, if you can fly a Blade CP Pro, you can fly just about any heli.. I still fly mine to keep my reflexes up on my TrexSE!

Those parts (Tower Hobbies) are THE MOST expensive parts there are for any electric heli I have ever seen... Especially a $199.00 RTF! WOW!

Most all great fliers I have meet like to have a Blade CP around for indoor and low key flying around the house... Trex's are to big to even get trimmed properly in a large two car garage because of the high head speed which creates gobs of prop wash...

RADD'S taught me to hover an entire battery in about 8 packs on my first heli the CP PRO!

USE IT!

GO SLOW! It's cheaper and less frustrating this way! Trust me..

Rob
Old 01-10-2007, 10:52 AM
carfanatic

thanks for the advice!! I will look into that blade cp! I think it will come down to what parts are instock the most!! I know the axe is new, thats y parts are in demand I bet. I am going to read the radd school tonight after work!
Old 01-10-2007, 12:08 PM
robmoney

Radd's gets a little boring, BUT discipline yourself to do every step and it will finally click, I promise...

It really gets you desensitised to the blade speed, sounds, and scarriness it can have to a new pilot... This let's you relax and focus on flying...

It also teaches you to focus 110% of the time on the rotor disk and rotor head...

You'll learn to be a half seconf stick movement in front of the heli to get it really stable and know which way it is about to slide...

Just like riding a bike......
Old 01-10-2007, 12:35 PM
carfanatic

wow, ok sounds interesting!
Old 01-10-2007, 05:00 PM
DriveWRX

I agree, follow RADD's exactly and it will pay off in the long run.
I learned to hover on a Honey Bee FP using RADD's. Real Flight helped too!

Now, I think I want to move on to a collective pitch heli. I was also concidering the Axe CP, Blade CP Pro or a Honey Bee CP2.
My LHS stocks both Axe and Blade parts, so I think it between those 2 helis.

I'd like to hear more opinions on which heli I should get next, the Axe CP or the Blade CP Pro.
I know that the Blade is more agile, but can't the Axe be upgraded too?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:16 PM
carfanatic

I"m in the same boat as you. It seems as if the axe is more beefy and weighs more. That people say it seems a bit more stable because of its weight... but I dunno.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:57 PM
robmoney

Look here: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXMHD1**&P=0

Aluminum parts are WAY too expensive.

Trex SE parts are cheaper..... You decide....

Axe CP does not have Bell-Hiller mixing on the rotor head, so you in theory get better rotor control and inverted flight with equal pit each way with the most accuracy on the CP Pro...

CP Pro comes with a $40.00 lipo...... 14-15 min flight times..
Old 01-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Armhunter

I was told buy the Heli Guru at our local store, that I would be more happy with an AXE CP then the Blade. He said it handles better and is more forgiving.
The Axe is new and I am sure once it gets around the block, prices will drop.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:11 PM
robmoney

Make sure you have main shafts, spindles, blades, and main gears... you'll need these on most heli's as a crash kit...

Remember, no parts, no fly...

Rob
Old 01-10-2007, 10:44 PM
DriveWRX

robmoney, I can see your point. However, initial cost for a TRex SE is way more than and RTF Axe or Blade.
I still consider myself a beginner pilot. I don't think I would really learn to fly on a TRex, because I would be way too worried about crashing an expensive heli... [] (and I know I will crash!)

I agree that the TRex is a great machine, but what I need right now is a durable, flyable heli to learn on. I wouldn't be flying inverted anytime soon. So that aspect is not that important to me yet.
When I do upgrade to aluminum parts on the Axe or Blade, that would be a one time purchase. Correct? That still would be more affordable for me.

I guess what I really want to know is which heli, Axe or Blade, would be a better learning machine.

I read that the Axe is more stable. That would help build confidence. Maybe that would mean less crashing (yeah, right! )
And I read that the Blade is more agile but hard to fly. I can see that it would fun and also frustrating.

Thanks for all the info though!
Old 01-10-2007, 11:34 PM
robmoney

I would not recommend the Trex... It is more expensive...

My first heli was the CP Pro.. It is totally modded now and I still love flying this little gem...

Forward flight inside a gym is a blast... Stall turns, fast 8's, it is a blast for sure...

Just buy what your LHS supports and has plenty of parts for...

Learn to hover and FF and then you'll be ready for a Trex...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52505.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	595382  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.