Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

does your axe cp vibrate? heres a fix!

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

does your axe cp vibrate? heres a fix!

Old 01-21-2007, 11:03 PM
bryon261

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does your axe cp vibrate? heres a fix!

i took a tip from eletrichead. get 1/16'' collars install them on the flybar all the way to the paddles. now hold you heli by the boom with your arm fully extended, throttle up heli, do you feel a vibration? now throttle back pick one collar and slide it half way up the flybar and tighten collar spin up heli , is it better? if worse , slide collar back outwards to paddle and try otherside if improved you may have to fine adjust collar in or out to reduce vibration. now electrichead use a high point balancer, i did not have one so i did it this way. iwood wear safety glasses for protection. i also noticed that my blades were not tracking properly so i adjust linkage . caution should be use when doing this , hold on to your heli tightly. if your not up to it then buy a balancer. the weird thing is the side a adjusted is alitte more than 3/4" away from the paddle. electricheads adjustment was 3/4".... thanks electrichead.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Heliko

Default RE: does your axe cp vibrate? heres a fix!

Hey Bryon would it also work if you made the adjustment by sliding the flybar itself back and forth?
Old 01-22-2007, 12:21 AM
Heli Bat

I have not tried this, but I think that adjusting the flybar "might" work, but I would not do it that way. I think they are on to something, besides they are adding weigt to the flybar which is a double whammy of balancing and adding weight which is stabalizing everything better. The flybar is not acting like a huge fly wheel now (more inertial and more mass) - I can see how that would make things more stable by adding the collars. It is called dampening. However, on the flip side, I am wondering how this is going to effect the 3 D performance. But none of us (that I can thing of at the momemt) is at this stage, so whatever in my opinoin to make the machine more stable is a PLUS for now.
Just my humble opinion.

Heli Bat
Old 01-22-2007, 02:17 AM
Heliko

I actually don't want to increase dampening, but I'm all for a balanced rotor head.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:38 AM
ElectricHead

Do not slide your fly bar! Keep it centered! If you only want to balance without dampening head then slide wheel collars all the way in to hub and then move one out enough to balance. I have changed my fly bar set up on Saturday. I moved wheel collars in to hub then slid one out to balance and I also took off paddles and put on Blade CP paddles as an experiment. Blade Paddles have a little more weight to them. I went out for a fly and I like this set up. Heli is stable in hover and has good responce. I am trying to find that perfect balance between stability and agility. I was outside doing 12 foot high hovers for a little bit and I can tell you that the heli flys much better outside than in my garage. I guess the garage just keeps all the rotor wind contained and that buffets the heli around. Outside you have the whole wide world for your rotor wind to blow into. Try flying outside up out of ground effect and let us know if you experience the same thing.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:32 PM
bryon261

thats funny i have ordered blade cp paddles. and i was going to try the same thing you did with putting the collars all the way in and move one out until balance, i'm glad it works, can't wait to try it.. though i have burned up my 5th batt. pack (10.8 nimh). tech. support is sending me a new charger and batteries. they don't want admit that in my opinion they don't work with this heli, they last about 5 charges. i need to upgrade to lipo's.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:41 PM
bryon261

put the weights inwards and work out, or go cnc parts. as before, i rebuilt the rotor head replacing the hub and you can see. a little wobble. ps shaft and gear where also replaced. i know it dampins but i think that if i become a good pilot i'll upgrade to a little larger copter
Old 01-22-2007, 06:50 PM
bryon261

i would not try that. it seems to me the paddles wouldn't do there job properly. i don't know , but maybe it might interfer with control. i would try the collars it cheap , simple and if you don't like it take them off.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:58 PM
ElectricHead

I ran about 25 flights on the stock battery untill I got my LiPo. Stock battery is still good. See my first video post and you can observe the Blade paddles in action. Was a bit of wind so I and bouncing around a lot.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:18 PM
chaseman81

http://www.tech-mp.com/bat_charge.php

Apex Lipo Battery 1350 MAH 11.1V 15C
The Apex 1350 MAH battery is 11.1 volts of the type 3s1p. It has a maximum discharge rate of 15C
(about 31.5 amps). The dimensions are 35mm x 65mm x 21mm. It weighs about 102 grams and has
a built in balancing connector (TP style). Li-Poly Safety Pamphlet

Great high power battery at a reasonable price. Now with TP style balance connector and
Apex main connector.

Excellent choice for Blade CP, Honey Bee & King, Shogun, and any 300 to 400 size airplanes.

IN STOCK $31.99
Buy two for a little more then the price of one

Heres TP bateries

2 Thunder Power "ProLite" 2100 Lipo Battery Deal
2 TP "ProLite" 2100 MAH batteries (#TP2100-3S) deal. Buy 2 and save!

Battery is 11.1 volts of the type 3s1p. It has a maximum discharge rate of 15C (about 31.5 amps)
with a 50A burst rating. The dimensions are 34mm x 100mm x 20mm.
It weighs about 142 grams and has a built in balancing connector.

These are great 3D performance batteries. Li-Poly Safety Pamphlet

Email us since a discount may be available for this item.

IN STOCK $139.99
Old 01-23-2007, 12:21 PM
chaseman81

Please post your video so we can check it out
Thanks
Chaseman81
Old 02-20-2007, 09:55 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

My Heli has gotten worse with the vibration. I can't find the source. Tried to remove the main blades and spun up the head and there was still a vibration. Only thing I found was if you grap the main blade grips and try to twist them, there is a slight rotational movement. Can't tell if it was there before, cause I never tried it before today.

Its almost as if the head is vibrating towards the flybars, not towards a "heavy" blade. The flybars are exactly the same distance from the head. Man, I wish this Vibration was more obvious.

Ideas????
Old 02-20-2007, 10:42 PM
ElectricHead

Put 1/16" wheel collars on flybar. Slide them all the way in toward rotor. Put rotor head on high point balancer without main blades and slide one collar out on fly bar to balance "light" side. This will not effect cyclic responce with collars in towards rotor. If you need to tame down heli then slide both collars out toward center of flybar and balance from there and then fly and see if you get the feeling you like. I have my collars halfway out and use Blade CP paddles. Because stock radio has no expo adjustment,the paddles/collars are the only way I have to adjust flight handling of Axe. My heli has NO vibration at all. It is flying the best it ever has. Really,my antenna tube is dead still with absolutely no shake. You can even hear a difference as there is no buzzing of the canopy at all. If you do not have a high point balancer and you are serious about balance,buy one. BTW make sure your blades have same CG and weigh the same.

PS
CNC parts in and of themselves will not make a balanced head. You still need to check and balance blades/rotor
Old 02-21-2007, 08:53 PM
PilotLight

I don't have any wheel collars yet, but may go that route. There has been an improvement in the vibration lately. I slowly ran up the heli and watched the head as it was slightly wobbling. Definitely going towards one of the fly bar paddles. I gently applied some pressure to the upper assembly trying to remove the "out of center" quality. Alot of the vibration went away. There's something about the head assembly that doesn't stay completely centered. I don't think its the shaft but the plastic parts mounted above it. Checked all the screws and everything was tight.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65355.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	626894  
Old 02-21-2007, 11:00 PM
bryon261

be sure that the flybar is centered with the paddles off. the idea is, that one paddle is screwed on futher than the other. also look at the button on top of the rotor head when you spin up the motor, if it wobbles you probably have a bent hub. i have also noticed with my axe that the main motor gear is a little warped.read my earlier post about collars. it works. i have been reading alot of posts and one thing i did was replace the blade grip philips head screws with hex head screws. i noticed too much of a gap between the grips and hub assy. be carefull if you try this the screws are lock tighted you will have to use a soldering iron. place the tip against the screw to head it up and it should come loose. also youwil need two screw drivers as the shaft that the grips are attached rotates. since i did this no vibration. keep in mind i had i little crash which did not brake anything but bent the hub alittle. i also replaced all servos with hs-55 servos no play in the servos at all ,made the heli more stable. also there is an after market gyro, futaba 240 i have ordered one, much better gyro than the stock one. helimax has install instructions. can't wait to get it......good luck.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:19 AM
Gamemaker

did you replace the main router shaft and the main gear the big one it looks to be off and i can't get full rpms. will replace vary soon.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:04 PM
bryon261

i replaced main shaft and gear. also replaced hub.when you mean main gear is off , do you mean warped ?.... an interesting problem has come up. after i balanced the rotor head, held the heli firmly, arm extended, throttle up had very little vibration but if i throttle down and back up again i had some vibration. inoticed the main blades , the hole for mounting them has gotten wider, so i have ordered some new ones.... i want to get some carbon fiber blades , the have a brass insert in them , so the discription says. before i buy them i want to be a much better pilot before spending $40 for them. the price has come down $20, they were $60..... if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:45 AM
Rotor13B

ORIGINAL: bryon261

i replaced main shaft and gear. also replaced hub.when you mean main gear is off , do you mean warped ?.... an interesting problem has come up. after i balanced the rotor head, held the heli firmly, arm extended, throttle up had very little vibration but if i throttle down and back up again i had some vibration. inoticed the main blades , the hole for mounting them has gotten wider, so i have ordered some new ones.... i want to get some carbon fiber blades , the have a brass insert in them , so the discription says. before i buy them i want to be a much better pilot before spending $40 for them. the price has come down $20, they were $60..... if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
I have the same problem with a ovaled hole for the lag bolt. I think it's from the blades not being balanced properly. I balanced my blades using some scotch tape and found the center of gravity on each and almost all of the vibration went away. The ovaled hole(s) throws off the c.g. just enough to cause wobble. I'm going to use some five minute epoxy to make the holes round again and on future blades us some thin CA to harden the mounting holes. This should keep them from ovaling out.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:03 PM
bryon261

i tried to balance my blades using a heli max balancer. you could balance them individually, but the holes were to small to in the blades to link them together for final balancing so i returned it. did you find the cg of one blade and make the other blade match? or did you locate the center of the blade and balanced both of them at that point?
Old 02-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Heliko

I really like my Helimax balancer. It's easy to modify it to use a 2mm dragbolt, and I took one leg off secured it to the end of a board and found the the mainshaft fits in their perfectly making an excellent high point balancer for the cost of an extra mainshaft.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:50 PM
PilotLight

Didn't get rid of all of my vibration today, but most of it is gone. I took some time and leveled both fly bar paddles. They were off only slightly. I also slid the flybar paddles through the seesaw to try and balance the head. Finally, I checked blade tracking and one was just barely higher than the other. Its not perfect, but its acceptable.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:04 AM
Rotor13B

ORIGINAL: bryon261

i tried to balance my blades using a heli max balancer. you could balance them individually, but the holes were to small to in the blades to link them together for final balancing so i returned it. did you find the cg of one blade and make the other blade match? or did you locate the center of the blade and balanced both of them at that point?
I did both but I have to do it again because of the I used the epoxy to round out the holes. It probably won't be enough to through them badly but I still want to be sure.

I know what you mean about the holes being to small to fit on a balancer. I have a Kyosho blade balancer and even with the smaller mounting studs they were still to big for the lag bolt holes. I ended up taking out the studs and using two round toothpicks instead. It has bolts so all I had to do was carefully tighten the hex bolts to hold the picks on the balancer.