Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

axe cp not taking off when i use throttle

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

axe cp not taking off when i use throttle

Old 02-13-2007, 01:59 AM
topthebookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axe cp not taking off when i use throttle

I recently replaced the blade grips and put everything back together. Blades are on correct, everything put back together the correct way, now when I went to fly it, when i thottle up the heli pushes down. The controller has not been touched nor any of the electrical parts on the heli. on the controller the idle up is in the correct position, and on the bottom the ail, ele, thr, rud are all in the bottom position. Does anyone have a solution for this? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:52 AM
Rotor13B

Default RE: axe cp not taking off when i use throttle

Take some close ups of the head assembly and your controller.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:55 AM
topthebookie

I also need to add:

When I throttle up, servos go down, if I turn the heli upside down it will lift off.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:57 AM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

Got a picture of the rebuilt head?
Old 02-13-2007, 04:01 AM
topthebookie

I will take pictures and post tomorrow.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:24 AM
phoneman

Blade grips on backwards ?
Old 02-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Prontow

Blade Grips on backwards is the only thing I can think of also. Was the short linkage from the blade grip straight up and down or angled? If they are angled, pop them loose from the grip, flip the grip 180 degrees and re-install the linkage. Should solve problem only thing is the small nut on the grip will be on the top.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Prontow

I was just thinking,,,(It hurt!) what if the see-saw was flipped over??? This would make everything look OK but the linkages to the blade grips would be on the wrong side of the head.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Armhunter

?? When I build my heli I thought I noticed you can not put the blade grips on backwards.. They can work on either side. I dont have my heli in front of me, but when I look at the pics online, it looks like the linkage can only be put on one side, or one way..

You could have your radio switches set to reverse mode... try that..

The more I think about this one the more I know I need my heli in front of me to answer it.. So ignore my post... lol Prontow sounds correct though..
Old 02-13-2007, 02:44 PM
sammy64

I have just checked my TX and all the switches are UP ( REV ) My heli is doing the same thing, not wanting to lift off. Iam going to rebuild the head with new parts and replace the main shaft and bearings. I did not see anything in the manual about the settings for the TX. Also my servo`s are pulling down and puts the blades in a POS setting for lift off. Let us know what you find out and i will repost after the head rebuild....
Old 02-13-2007, 04:20 PM
JJP9398

I know sometimes after I crash my swashplate seperates, the center part pops out of the outside part with the balls that the servos hook to I just have to snap it back togheter and then everything works fine.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Armhunter

ORIGINAL: JJP9398

I know sometimes after I crash my swashplate seperates, the center part pops out of the outside part with the balls that the servos hook to I just have to snap it back togheter and then everything works fine.

LOL, that happened to me too...
Old 02-13-2007, 04:46 PM
Heliko

ORIGINAL: Armhunter

ORIGINAL: JJP9398

LOL, that happened to me too...
...me three.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:09 PM
ElectricHead

I had my swashplate seperate after a crash also. when I did a rebuild I put some "Goop" glue on bearing before pressing it in. I got this tip about using glue from "Finless". He uses glue by the name Plumbing Goop, Household Goop, Amazing Goop and the original Shoe Goo...all products seem to be the same. Use a very light film on outside of bearings,however, do not get it inside bearings. Use it on all bearings to prevent them from spining in bearing blocks,ect.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Rotor13B

ORIGINAL: topthebookie

I recently replaced the blade grips and put everything back together. Blades are on correct, everything put back together the correct way, now when I went to fly it, when i thottle up the heli pushes down. The controller has not been touched nor any of the electrical parts on the heli. on the controller the idle up is in the correct position, and on the bottom the ail, ele, thr, rud are all in the bottom position. Does anyone have a solution for this? Any help would be appreciated.
Did you ever figure this out?
Old 02-16-2007, 09:35 AM
DIVR6347
My Feedback: (1)

your blade grips and seesaw are upside down i know this because i had the exact same issues with two axe cp s

put the heli in front of you sideways with the nose on your left hand side rotate the main shaft until the nut that holds the main gear is facing you

look at the seesaw and blade grip on the front blade the tracking adjustment linkage rod for that front blade should be on the same side as you are
if not the blades are pitching the wrong way once you get the grip/linkage in the right place disconnect the motor and power up the heli in same position nose to your left

give throttle and look at the blade pitch the front blade should pitch down toward you and the rear away from you this should fix your lift issues

hope you can understand the directiond but if you have questions feel free to pm me
divr6347
Old 02-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Blusaber

As stated the blade grips are on backwards the ball link should line up with the trailing edge of the main blades so when the swash moves down the loops pull the top of the head down which pushes the trailing edge down lifting the leading edge giving you pos pitch. The grips are molded wrong if you put the nut side as it is molded down you have them on backwards.

I still put the nut on the bottom in the rounded hole for ease of installing blades they will tighten up like this and have not given me any trouble loosing up or other wise. The exploded diagram in the manual shows the ball grips on the leading edge but I will not fly like this. If you had a computer radio you could reverse the swash direction but with stock radio this will not work.

Gary
Old 02-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Rotor13B

ORIGINAL: Blusaber

As stated the blade grips are on backwards the ball link should line up with the trailing edge of the main blades so when the swash moves down the loops pull the top of the head down which pushes the trailing edge down lifting the leading edge giving you pos pitch. The grips are molded wrong if you put the nut side as it is molded down you have them on backwards.

I still put the nut on the bottom in the rounded hole for ease of installing blades they will tighten up like this and have not given me any trouble loosing up or other wise. The exploded diagram in the manual shows the ball grips on the leading edge but I will not fly like this. If you had a computer radio you could reverse the swash direction but with stock radio this will not work.

Gary
I don't think his grips are backwards. I pulled out the entire head assembly as a whole the other day to replace the main gear and now mine is doing the same thing. I didn't change any of the setting on the blade grips or the servo arms. When I removed it, I popped off the ball links to the servos, Loosened the collar and then removed the nut and bolt on the main gear. I then tapped out the shaft and with a little fenageling removed the whole thing as one unit. I did remove the main blades but I had them marked according which side that I removed them from.

When running up the heli it does as topthebookie says, But if you keep giving collective, it will lift of but then wants to slam back down on the floor and then bounce back up in the air several times.[sm=frown.gif]
Old 02-17-2007, 12:25 AM
Heliko

Rotor13B, When you put the head back together did you make sure the two shaft bushings on the mainshaft were installed correctly. One under the main gear and and one above the the mainshaft collar. If so how much endplay or up/down movement does the mainshaft have. It should have very little, but if the shaft collar is not set correctly the excessive endplay would cause the uncommanded pitch changes.

Hope this helps, good luck
Old 02-17-2007, 01:26 AM
Rotor13B

Hi, Yes I have it setup right as far as I can tell, There is minimal movement from the mainshaft. I did notice that if you give it any right cyclic, It immediately changes pitch and takes away any collective that was input beforehand.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:44 AM
Heliko

You say the cyclic reduces collective pitch? That's just weird. I suppose the problem could be electronic, but the odd thing about that is this problem started after the rotorhead was removed and replaced. Well you got me.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:08 AM
Rotor13B

Well, I took it all apart again and pulled the indvidual parts off the head. It looks like the slide block binds up on on the center hub. I think that might be pulling he whole assembly down causing the pitch to come out of the main blades. I'm going to try some lithium grease on it and see if that frees things up. I don't want to sand anything really because the head has enough slop as it is, lol.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:04 AM
ElectricHead

Same problem with my Axe after a rebuild. My slide block was same as yours. I rotated slide block 180 degrees and binding was much less. Machine flys much better now. Collective pitch change can also be due to CCPM servo interaction. With your motors unplugged move your throttle to about hover position and work your right stick and watch your swashplate and see if you get a little bit of up/down movement. Better radios allow you to mix this out but no so with Axe radio. I installed HS-55 servos and the interaction was less but still there.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Rotor13B

Well I got it all back together and just came in from a flight outside. Problem still persists and I noticed that the left rear servo doesn't go back to center when you let go of the stick. If you flip the stick quickly, It moves but it seems to hunt for center i.e. it goes down when you want it but then when it returns it goes up a bit, Back down and then finds center. I don't know if this is a bad servo or 3-1. I think I'm gonna have to give Helimax a call and see If I can get replacement parts or better yet just send it back to them and let them figure it out.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Heliko

It sounds like a bad servo. If it doesn't center correctly it will effect collective pitch. The 3-in-1 is not involved in cyclic control so I wouldn't worry about it. If it's in your budget the HS-55 swap makes a nice improvment in cyclic control. If you plan to stay with OE servos Hobbico will send you a new one without hassle. From what I've read many before you have already had servo issues.

On another note when I had to replace my bent mainshaft I polished the new one then used some moly grease between it and the swash and white lithium everywhere else including the outside of the feathering spindle. Along with the HS-55's this made the cyclic control nice and smooth.