Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Axe CP Tail Motor Question

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Axe CP Tail Motor Question

Old 02-18-2007, 08:43 PM
kriegsmacht
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axe CP Tail Motor Question

I am having a problem which just began recently. Here's what it does: In a hover, after about 15 seconds, the heli will rotate opposite blade rotation as if the tail rotor was losing effectiveness. For a moment, you can hold it, but after a few seconds you are at full stick and it still spins out. The main rotor also slows down and more stick needs to be applied to stay airborne.

Thats the way it normally behaves when the battery is nearly dead. The thing is, it does it with a fully charged LiPo. Here are some additional symptoms:

The battery gets very hot during normal hovering. (about 140 degrees) Today, I only flew for about 30 seconds and what began as a perfectly cool battery was already warm to the touch.

I also tried the stock NiMH battery, identical results. It got warm too, and the heli behaved the same.

Now the main question: The tail motor is very notchy feeling as you turn it, as if it is bumping over a strong magnetic field inside. The gears are not tight, plenty of slack. Are the motors supposed to be that clicky feeling? I was thinking that the tail motor could be bad. It could be drawing excessive current and that would explain the hot battery, lost of heading control, and loss of power to the main motor.

Any Ideas? I'd just buy a new tail motor to see, but it's about 25 bucks.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:49 PM
quickster47

Default RE: Axe CP Tail Motor Question

That is pretty much normal for the OEM tail motor. The strong magnets give it that ratchety feel.

Have you checked the gain and proportion mix on the ESC? Sort of sounds like someone may have been messing with it.

But there could be another problem because normally the battery should not get that warm.

Carl

ORIGINAL: kriegsmacht

I am having a problem which just began recently. Here's what it does: In a hover, after about 15 seconds, the heli will rotate opposite blade rotation as if the tail rotor was losing effectiveness. For a moment, you can hold it, but after a few seconds you are at full stick and it still spins out. The main rotor also slows down and more stick needs to be applied to stay airborne.

Thats the way it normally behaves when the battery is nearly dead. The thing is, it does it with a fully charged LiPo. Here are some additional symptoms:

The battery gets very hot during normal hovering. (about 140 degrees) Today, I only flew for about 30 seconds and what began as a perfectly cool battery was already warm to the touch.

I also tried the stock NiMH battery, identical results. It got warm too, and the heli behaved the same.

Now the main question: The tail motor is very notchy feeling as you turn it, as if it is bumping over a strong magnetic field inside. The gears are not tight, plenty of slack. Are the motors supposed to be that clicky feeling? I was thinking that the tail motor could be bad. It could be drawing excessive current and that would explain the hot battery, lost of heading control, and loss of power to the main motor.

Any Ideas? I'd just buy a new tail motor to see, but it's about 25 bucks.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Heliko

Default RE: Axe CP Tail Motor Question

Check and see if the main motor wires get hot. If so you could have a bad connection there. The bullet connectors aren't soldered very well so this is a problem area. A bad connection would increase amperage there by increasing heat. If this isn't the problem than it could be in the speed control in the 3-in-1 board. The thing is to try and see what is getting hot. A motor, wires, circuit board? Since you've tried more than one battery that can be ruled out. Also as Quickster said the tail motor sounds normal, but if it does go bad let Hobbico know so you don't have to pay for it. It should be under warranty.

Good Luck