Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

AXE CP Blade Pitch??

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

AXE CP Blade Pitch??

Old 03-19-2007, 10:47 AM
bigmarcus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AXE CP Blade Pitch??

On the Axe CP, what is the proper blade pitch at full throttle with the idle up off?

I unfortunately have my poor AXE all screwed up. While installing my new swash plate (plastic original) I thought I would check the dimensions on the servo links versus what the book says. They were way out in left field, so I noted what they were and adjusted them to the book. Boy what an uncontrollable mess. The poor bird acted as if the right transmitter stick was on steroids, super sensitive to any inputs. Back to the bench I went and readjusted all the links back to what they originally were. The bird is now somewhat back to where it was but I am at basically full throttle before she starts to lift. The poor main motor is screaming its little heart out and not going anywhere.

None of the other adjustable links were touched. The only other variable is that I replaced the main rotor blades with a new pair (genuine ones). Maybe the new blades have an issue with them. Anyone out there have any advice. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:55 AM
rollingball

Default RE: AXE CP Blade Pitch??

I would say +8 -8 pitch is good enough for a stock setup.
My linkages are set by the book and I must say it is one sensitive bird. I think most of the problem is the stock radio
Old 03-19-2007, 12:09 PM
bigmarcus

So what your saying is to set the pitch up so that at no throttle I have say -8 and at full throttle I have +8? To get this amount of swing would I have to adjust the servo links as well as the 2 upper links coming off the flybar? Which by the way are completely turned together from the factory. In other words the back end of the the upper and lower link are touching each other. It seem that if I turn these links apart the pitch would increase?
Even when the bird was new there was quite a noticeable pitch difference between the 2 stick positions. I seem to remember that I had just a couple of degrees at no throttle, then it would swing the other way.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:23 PM
bigmarcus

Rollingball, Forgot to ask, if the +8 and -8 were set with idle up on? When I have the motors unplugged and test the servos, it appears I have about twice the amount of pitch throw that I have with the idle up off.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:36 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

Here's how I set up mine after rebuilding it:

With Idle Up switch off or towards the rear, Throttle all the way down, servo arms horizontal, Blades adjusted to Zero pitch (eyeballed it, didn't measure it) Swash plate adjusted to level.

With Idle Up switch ON or forward, Throttle centered, Servo arms were about horizontal, Blades again to Zero pitch.

Once you get the pitch set, remember to check the blade tracking.

Heli flew just about like stock in either Idle UP on or off. Note, I have not done any inverted flying to verify this set up.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:56 PM
rollingball

Just like pilotlight said 0 pitch or eyeball @ stick all the way down and the idle off. this should give about 0 pitch @ mid stick with idle switch on. Then you can set the pitch to +8 and -8 with the idle switch on. Blade tracking is probably the most important thing to do since this bird is a tad bit heavy for it's rotor size.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:55 PM
bigmarcus

Thanks all. I will give this a try after work today. The one thing that sort of worries me is that the small arms on the see-saw that one adjusts blade pitch with are basically completely screw together. There is very little room if any left to adjust for level pitch at idle. This being the case, what should I do? Would I unscrew these 2 links a few turns then play with swash plate up and down position (by lengthening or shortening the 3 servo links) in order to get level at no throttle? Would this even work?
Old 03-19-2007, 02:05 PM
rollingball

I had these apart to center the rod to the ends and there is alot of adjustment more than is needed.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:34 PM
bigmarcus

Rollingball, thanks again for the input. I will see what I can figure out tonight. I printed this thread for reference in case I get confused or forget one of the critical details (the wifey calls it selective memory, but that's another story) I'll post "a what happened" in the morning.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:43 AM
bigmarcus

All,

Had to work late last night, so did not have time to do a complete tweaking. Did have time to find my old pitch gauge and check things out. Here are my first findings: Idle up off, swash plate level, throttle at minimum, one of the blades reads minus 2 and the other is right around minus 5. No wonder this thing is a handfull and the factory test flys these. Probably more like "OK, everything looks like it is working. Another thing I found was my concern with the upper links was unfounded. I need to lengthen the links to correct the minus pitch. So the fact that they are completely screwed togther is moot point. Hopefully I can get some time tonight to tweak and test fly.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:12 AM
bigmarcus

WOW – WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

I would have to say that the little bird has never been better. It is smooth, quiet and most important controllable. I went ahead and set the blades at 0 pitch with idle up off, level swash plate and no stick. Instead of using the blades as a guide I concentrated on making the upper opening edge of the blade grip level with the flybar. It took a few twists on the upper arms to get things set. Once I did this on each blade, I went ahead and turned on the idle up switch. Mid stick the blades were level and although I did not specifically measure it, the pitch was even both at full and no stick being right around 7 or 8. The pitch with idle up off it looks to be around 5 at full stick. I then hooked the motors back up and with idle up off, spun her up. The tracking was spot on. Needless to say I was hopeful at this time and into the family room I went for a test flight. If I did not know better I would say that someone switched birds on me. I want to thank both rollingball and PilotLight for your help. I really appreciate it. Mark.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:41 AM
rollingball

Good to hear you are having a better experience flying.