Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

RX Antenna shortened

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

RX Antenna shortened

Old 03-30-2007, 07:39 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX Antenna shortened

Had some vibration in my heli a while back. The problem was in the main shaft. Apparently, it was bent from a minor scuff with the floor. Anyway, the vibration caused the antenna tube on the Axe to vibrate which "work hardened" the small wire sticking out of the end. Now, about 4" of wire are missing off the antenna.

Can I just solder on another piece? Should I just let it go, seems to fly ok? Should I get a new antenna? Can I just get another piece of wire? (how long is it?)

I've got a new main shaft and new blades, but don't want to put 'em on 'till I get the antenna fixed.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:23 PM
Heliko

Default RE: RX Antenna shortened

I wasn't crazy about the OE antenna either. I know many people have went with Dean's antenna, but I wanted something even smaller so I went with a Micro Z (below).

If you want to go the aftermarket antenna route Helihobby has a good selection of antenna [link=http://helihobby.com/html/extras.html]here[/link].
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59032.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	653258  
Old 03-30-2007, 10:34 PM
osterizer

Default RE: RX Antenna shortened

If you don't want to get a micro (base loaded) antenna (you should, they're great), 4" shouldn't make a difference. BUT, BUT, BUT... if you keep the shortened one, then range check the heli carefully. I've flown shortened antennae (usually after an incident involving a propeller, though), but you may find that your radio gear has different performance, even from another Axe.

If you need to replace the antenna, don't add wire; replace it completely.