Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

what the? Axe CP jumping in the air!

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

what the? Axe CP jumping in the air!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:46 AM
dlcrashrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what the? Axe CP jumping in the air!

15-16 batts still flyin no jumping or popping , i think the molyorsomethingnamedstuff would be better as it bonds to the mainshaft on the melecuular or sumthing level[:-] kinda the same way slick 50 bonds to the internal parts of your car engine. Im still using the after run oil on my swashplate (just a drop in 4 corners) as i have this oil from my nitro planes use it so when plane sits motor doesnt lock up [:'(] And again I AM NOT saying its a fix or I am PLEASING the heli gods but it did work very well for me , as after 15 -16 flights or batts (which ever comes first ) No jumps or pops , I waited to post this after my flights to make sure it did work , so far doing really well , getting better at hovering i only have 3 batts (green peas [:'(]) but the only time my AXE is on the ground is to change the BATT need to move to lipos but right now funds wont allow it [:'(] flyin in my basement on an area rug as my boundary and so far no major crashes , getting better at controlling her as I manage to keep her over the rug if she drifts off the rug i do shut down and recenter on the rug , training gear still on [:'(] but in time i will get up enough guts to remove them , im doing good tail in flyin but as far as nose in , im terrible , can not fly this way at all [:@] but still trin. I heard one suggestion in here when flyin nose in (nose of heli facing you) which ever way heli is moving move the stick that way , which makes sense cause it would make heli go oppisite way its moving at least in left right direction, roll i think Yaw is controlled by tail pitch is fore and aft , roll would be left and right, right?
Nose in is tough , I have r/c cars but 2D is much more forgivin then 3D [:-] Practice Practice Practice , any suggestions for Nose in flyin or anything that helped u other guys get better at nose in flyin , would be greatly appreciated. Also have extra main blades but still on original set , they are a little chewed up on ends but no vibration , I assume they are out of balance , but when she flies i cant see it and when i rev her up and sit on floor and look at blades no double vision , so i keep using them , also im just hovering no turns or anything yet but workin on it and im hovering all the way through the batt , Land change batt and hover some more I did notice a controll issue when batts start to get low is this normal does your guys heli's do same and will it do the same with a Li-Po ?

[:'(]Its not the fall , Its that sudden stop at the end of the fall[:'(] LMK and thanks for all the great info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:09 AM
strat1960s

DLCRASHRC,

I've been told to time my flights. When the heli takes a lot more stick to keep it in the air, you are nearing the end of your flight (battery charge). So, if you can fly for about 6 minutes before the power starts to fade, that is pretty close to your time limit. It's the same way with LiPos. You have to keep an eye on how long you're flying so you don't loose control and crash. I have an ESC and gyro on my AXE. When power gets below a certain point (about 12 to 14 minutes of hovering) the tail motor cuts out on me. It's not quite as abrupt as that, you can hear a pitch change in the main rotor and then the Axe will slowly descend. If you give it more stick, it'll rise, but then the tail motor cuts out and then you have to set it down anyways.
I applied some antiseize on my shaft, just in the area that the swash plat rises and falls. I'll look for some of the after run oil for the swashplate itself as time permits. The moly lube you mentioned did the name sound something like molybendum lube/grease? I am a special purpose mechanic in the USAF. I'm pretty familiar with automotive oils and lubricants and their uses. I just don't know what automotive products I can use on my rc heli.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:38 PM
MMatheny

DLCRASHRC, - the tail rotor authority fade as the battery runs down is normal - I adjusted the 3n1 pot on mine to where I need a couple of left clicks on the trim with a fresh battery, and as it fades I slowly click to center, maybe one click right. Be gentle, the adjustment is very sensitive.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:45 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

Push the cyclic stick under the low part of the disc for nose in hover. If the heli is leaning towards YOUR left, push the stick left. If the heli is leaning nose down, push the stick aft, etc... Kinda the same idea, but you're not waiting for the heli to start moving through the air and then correcting. It leans first, then it moves, so you're one step ahead with this technique. And, while it's nose-in and everything is backwards, push the rudder stick right if you want the nose to go to your left and vice-versa. Another way to think of it is looking at the tail and push the stick the direction you want the tail to move to. Nose-in and tail to your right, pull the tail to the left by pushing the stick left.

Thinking of only 2 directions instead of 4 made things easier for me. Instead of thinking nose up, tail up, left , and right, think nose up or NOT up, and right stick or NOT right stick (for this I look at the antenna tube to keep track of right side on the heli). You are only controlling the cyclic with 2 gimbals on the radio, so only think 2 directions when applying corrections. In a word, Simplify!
Old 09-14-2007, 02:55 PM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: strat1960s

DLCRASHRC,

I've been told to time my flights. When the heli takes a lot more stick to keep it in the air, you are nearing the end of your flight (battery charge). So, if you can fly for about 6 minutes before the power starts to fade, that is pretty close to your time limit. It's the same way with LiPos. You have to keep an eye on how long you're flying so you don't loose control and crash. I have an ESC and gyro on my AXE. When power gets below a certain point (about 12 to 14 minutes of hovering) the tail motor cuts out on me. It's not quite as abrupt as that, you can hear a pitch change in the main rotor and then the Axe will slowly descend. If you give it more stick, it'll rise, but then the tail motor cuts out and then you have to set it down anyways.
I applied some antiseize on my shaft, just in the area that the swash plat rises and falls. I'll look for some of the after run oil for the swashplate itself as time permits. The moly lube you mentioned did the name sound something like molybendum lube/grease? I am a special purpose mechanic in the USAF. I'm pretty familiar with automotive oils and lubricants and their uses. I just don't know what automotive products I can use on my rc heli.
here's that moly stuff... and yeah, it's that molybendum stuff... I can never remember the whole name...

http://www.shootersolutions.com/molyfusion1.html

Old 09-14-2007, 09:33 PM
HelisRule

ORIGINAL: MMatheny

DLCRASHRC, - the tail rotor authority fade as the battery runs down is normal - I adjusted the 3n1 pot on mine to where I need a couple of left clicks on the trim with a fresh battery, and as it fades I slowly click to center, maybe one click right. Be gentle, the adjustment is very sensitive.
That's a great idea. Right now I'm starting out just right of center on the tail trim but after a few minutes have maxed out the right tail trim. I like the idea of making it so that I have more play room from the start. So which POT are you working with and how much are you adjusting it? CW or CCW? I usually think of any kind of rotary adjuster as a clock; given that, my middle POT is currently at about 12:30 and the bottom POT is at about 13:00. Which direction and how far do I need to turn [it/them] to get the kind of adjustment you're talking about?

Thx.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:35 PM
PilotLight

ORIGINAL: HelisRule

ORIGINAL: MMatheny

That's a great idea. Right now I'm starting out just right of center on the tail trim but after a few minutes have maxed out the right tail trim. I like the idea of making it so that I have more play room from the start. So which POT are you working with and how much are you adjusting it? CW or CCW? I usually think of any kind of rotary adjuster as a clock; given that, my middle POT is currently at about 12:30 and the bottom POT is at about 13:00. Which direction and how far do I need to turn [it/them] to get the kind of adjustment you're talking about?

Thx.
I'll bet if you turned them to the stops and put them back you'll find that the middle pot is at 18:30 (180 degrees out) and the bottom is like you say 1300. Turn bottom pot cw and see if you need to add left trim on the TX.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:25 AM
dlcrashrc

Thank You Gentlemen , All this info is great and we have each others support , I think is a win win and as u know those r hard to find. I keep coming back to check for new posts and I WILL report any new findings , mods , ETC This forum is excellent , Just wanted to say THANK YOU , GOOD FLYING , AND SOFT LANDINGS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Dlcrashrc
Old 09-15-2007, 09:10 PM
HelisRule

You could be right PilotLight, it may very well be 18:30. I'll check that out tomorrow, and try your suggested adjustment. How much CW adjustment should I use on the bottom POT? Or are you saying just use trial and error until I get it where it feels right?
Old 09-16-2007, 01:27 PM
PilotLight

Trial and error works great. That's how most of us here have found the proper adjustments. Try 1/8th to 1/16th of a turn and see what you get.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:26 AM
dlcrashrc

Well gentlemen I am very sad to report that my axe is acting very strange again , after aprox 20 batts it flew great no pop no jump rock steady hover I was so pleased with the heli and myself just to be able to keep her in one spot , BUT then or I should say NOW I have a more serious problem. OK charged batts went to the basement all ready to fly , prefight check , retighten check , blade tracking check , everything ok , so started my flight about thirty seconds into 1st batt she started jumping and popping and by the way still using after run oil on swashplate cuz I had some good luck with it or at least I thought , did it once then seemed to settle down so I kept flyin then 2nd batt , flew ok about a minute got her in a pretty descent hover (im no pro) then all of a sudden with no stick input from myself the heli took a hard left turn or yaw and dropped the tail to the point the nose was almost pointing straight up , I quickly panic , shove right stick forward and PULL left stick all the way back , to my surprise or I should say to my luck the heli went down almost level and came down like a rock on the training gear , took a good look at her evrything seemed ok , so I though what was that , reluctent I take her back up this time keeping her very close to ground just enough to clear prop wash but then again I was prob in and out of it cuz i was very timmid of what it was going to do , so she is hovering pretty steady and then BAM hard left yaw , tail dropped and Im sure it did same thing first itme , but I was in such a panic I didnt hear it , while the heli made this very hard yaw and tail dropping motion I could hear a very hard surge almost like the sound when u turn the idle up switch on. The noise was very loud and I am sure it was directly related , I am stumped and very very dissapointed I will no longer fly cuz of fear of serious crash I was lucky it didnt already crash hard and it was luck when it first did it and it just landed hard (NO POWER) on the gear and tail skid.
Toady I am going to call tech support and have a long talk and ask for some serious help or maybe some kind of adjustment on eboard maybe its the bias but prob not either way I am calling for help. I am so dissapointed now I have a 200 heli I am to scared to fly cuz it is definitly very unpredictable I dont understand she flew like a rock for about 20 batts and I was so happy and NO hard landings no tipovers , no bladestrikes , She hovered like a rock, little tail rotor trim and she would stay straight as an arrow I impressed myself Cuz I am just learning and thought I was doing pretty good for a newbie. PLEASE HELP GUYS [:@][:'(][&o]
Old 09-21-2007, 08:45 AM
dlcrashrc

GREAT NEWS GENTLE MEN , I called 217-398-8970 then push #5 to get support and skip all the crap , Explained my sitch and they told me if was DEFINITLY a servo issue (Talked to Jake) , They r currently sending me 3 brand new servos and do not want the old ones back (WHA!) I think they are aware of the sitchuation and they will prob do the same for the rest of you guys with this popping and jumping issue, I was lucky not to have a seriuos crash but the potential was definitly THERE (LUCKY) I hope passing this info on helps other people with this prob I am currently waiting for servos to arrive and WILL report back when I make the swap and test her out. I seriously hope this corrects the problem and I also explained to jake about the heat sink covering the holes on the main motor and told him how I used a dremel to cut slots in heat sink to open these slots for better cooling of the Main motor, He said he was going to pass it on to the build department so I think newer models will have the slots in the heat sink out of the box , They should of done this out the gate but hey we are human , Also like to give credit too the product support team for standing behind thier product they are very easy to deal with and I thought that was a very good trait on their part. Jake was The guy I talked to and he was excellent and very supportive with me "WAY TO GO JAKE" Dont want to jump the gun until I replace the servos and test her out , I know even with the new servos I will be very very cautious and prob scared the first flights but hope all will end well.

POPPING AND JUMPING IS DEF A SERVO ISSUE ACCORDING TO TECH AND PRODUCT SUPPORT
SO GENTLEMEN GET ON THE PHONE AND GET YOUR NEW SERVOS BEFORE SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS[sm=drowning.gif]

dlcrashrc
P.S. Hope this helps everyone I really do , getting to the root cause of this issue would I am sure be greatly appreciated by everyone with this issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck , Good Flyin AND VERY SOFT LANDINGS

Your fellow Heli Pilot
dlcrashrc
Old 09-21-2007, 03:15 PM
strat1960s

DLCRASHRC,

What kind of servos are they sending you??

Ted
Old 09-21-2007, 03:31 PM
thestratcat

cool, I just picked up new Hitecs for the MX today, guess the e-flites that I have in that can move over to the CP and we'll see what happens then!
Old 09-22-2007, 06:09 AM
dlcrashrc

not sure i think prob same stock ones but they did say they were aware of the problem, i dont know really but when they come in monday or tuesday i will def jump back in here and let ya know , iknow man i hope they r not the same as what i already have hope they are of diff brand so maybe they will perform better and last a litttle longer and or talk with the eboard just alitlle better and if it doesnt correct the prob i WILL be right back on phone and ask for Jake and ask once again for his help on fixing this very frustrating issue . What should i do with the old ones pitch em , i have airplanes but if these are faulty servos i def dont want to use em and i dont want to look at em either , then again the gears and case might just be good enough to keep around for parts cuz lord knows u might smack suumthin crack the srvo case or strip a gear if they r the same i could use as spare parts right or will the faulty ness of the seruo rob me of this also????????
Doug
Old 09-26-2007, 07:30 PM
dlcrashrc

Got my servos today and they were different , the color of the wires changed from blue yellow white to red white and black , leads are definitly shorter and wire gauge is definitly thicker , look same as stock maybe just a tad dif lookin on inside case is a darker blue welp I got her all together and the batts just finished chargin so I am going to give her a test flight , going to need some oil on the right thumb and index finger lol it has def been a while almost 6 days , seems like a year.......lol , hope it flies good and when I am done with my test flight I will report back in here to tell ya how it went good or bad I just hope it solves that darn poppin and jumpin. I really cant stand that crap , But helimax support saidd it should fix it we will see
dlcrashrc
Old 09-26-2007, 08:43 PM
dlcrashrc

well she flew but she did seem a little twichy that or Iam 6-daze rusty , I think I need to work on the linkage a little more the servo arm wouldnt go on at 90 degrees , also swicthed out the servo arm per helimax they sent me those too , when i got her together the swashplate didnt look flat so i adjusted the front linkage to make it level , When she was out of the box the front servo horn wasnt at 90 degrees it was at about 100-110 degrees but the swash was straight and level , Anyway took her up didnt see any pop or jump as of yet but time will tell ......Was adjusting the linkage the wrong thing to do , little bit of trim and she hovered ok , tail seemed like is was moving around a little more than before was always wanting to go left even as i added trim ?????? I saw the measurements for the linkage but im not sure. I will tinker a little more , seemed like it flew better before i had this pop jump servo change issue then again maybe im rushing it and need to get more stick time under my belt . it was the first 3 batts since i put it back together TIME WILL TELL
dlcrashrc
Old 09-27-2007, 07:25 AM
thestratcat

right on man!

I'm going to change servo's out in my CP this weekend, yesterday when I was flying my 400 I had this overwhelming desire to pull back on the stick and try inverted flight... common sense kept me from doing it... but, I am going to get my CP going again and try it with that one this weekend, I'm sure the remaining pieces will be very small
Old 09-27-2007, 07:48 AM
dlcrashrc

e z big guy lets keep her in one piece , then again if at first you dont succeed , rebuild and fly i mean try again , lol If u want to look at it another way the axe is or was the stepping stone for the 400 and better the axe than the 400 (small pieces) if that happens ill buy anything thats left thats still usable.............

dlcrashrc
Old 09-27-2007, 08:04 AM
thestratcat

ORIGINAL: dlcrashrc

e z big guy lets keep her in one piece , then again if at first you dont succeed , rebuild and fly i mean try again , lol If u want to look at it another way the axe is or was the stepping stone for the 400 and better the axe than the 400 (small pieces) if that happens ill buy anything thats left thats still usable.............

dlcrashrc

I'm looking at I may be able to chuckle after I pile the CP into the ground...

if I pile the MX into the ground I tend to fall over, stomp my feet, cry and do all kinds of nasty stuff

I'm considering the CP the crash test dummy for everything 3D!
Old 05-25-2008, 05:36 AM
Phud

I have read several post regarding the Axe CP hopping into the air. I am having the oposite problem. I have gotten the hover down ok, but often when making small corrections, it will suddely drop to the ground. I read a post about faulty servos. Are there compatable replacement srevos.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:07 PM
jayrod

I've been having this problem for a while now and just tried something after reading this post that worked. Hopefully it will for the long term. And guys let me know if I'm not supposed to be doing this adjustment. I realized that there was some play between the main shaft collar bushing and the bearing inside the frame directly above it on the main shaft. So I unscrewed the bushing and slid it up right up against the bearing so that there isn't any play. Seemed to have solved the problem. I've crashed pretty horrifically several times so it would make sense that this got out of whack, but let me know if there is supposed to be play there. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:46 AM
3dbandit

strange how all of your cp's jump when your hovering. mine jumps on 40% throtle. any one have an idea.

,E-flite
Old 06-07-2008, 04:46 AM
dabigboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HS-55 servos work a treat with the Axe. Actually I've never flown with stock, I bought the heli on ebay from a guy who flew it for a few months then moved up to something fancier. He claimed switching to HS-55's made a noticeable improvement in smoothness of control....knowing how minute changes affect a heli, that wouldn't surprise me. Anyway, aside from the flaky surging tail (need to do that belt conversion eventually...) this little rig is pretty solid and flies very nicely, at least to a total helicopter newbie like myself. I've had it for about a month now, put around 20 or so flights on it I guess (most with a 1320mh lipo, so I usually fly a little over 10 minutes at a time). I just did a head rebuild due to my own stupidity (flying when it's almost dark, and rushing into FFF before I'm ready), but it was flying great up until then, and it flew even a little better tonight after finishing the rebuild (I got it balanced better than it was before, plus the flybar I think wasn't quite right before). Of course I'll probably be blown away when I move up to a nicer machine.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:48 PM
jayrod

My Axe CP was actually jumping off the ground too. It was doing it when I got to about 50% throttle and all of a sudden, whatever was getting stuck would release and then boom, the pitch would change and the heli would be almost 5 to 8ft up in the air and then usually ending in a crash. I found the problem with the main shaft bearing as I explained in an earlier post on this thread. I'm gonna change all of my links to ball joints now too after seeing how sensitive the heli is...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.