Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

What do you guys think about installing the lipos here?

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

What do you guys think about installing the lipos here?

Old 04-22-2008, 10:58 AM
BigTruckDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you guys think about installing the lipos here?

Dont know if its a good thing or a bad so I figured I run it through here in case some has done it the can give their opinion.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18679.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	934625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17273.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	934626  
Old 04-22-2008, 01:30 PM
GOskateFL

Default RE: What do you guys think about installing the lipos here?

have you tried to fly it like that? in my opinion it looks like it would work.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:37 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

The battery offsets the weight of the tail. To see if it will work, hold the heli by the flybar when they are positioned to the left and right. If it balances, it'll work, if it hangs tail low, the weight is too far aft.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Shadow99

Couple of things I noticed off the bat, was that your lipo was acually touching the heat sink on the main motor (not a good idea, lipo's are EASILY dented & that could cause cell damage, plus that heat sink gets HOT, I don't think the plastic wrapping on the lipo will like that).
Also you should remove the heat sink on the main motor & modify it so it opens up the vent holes on the motor (see pic below). This will add signifigant cooling to the motor & add to the overall LIFE of the motor, I oiled the bronze bushings of the motor as part of my pre-flight, using Tri-Flow 3in1 oil.

Shadow
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50551.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	934959  
Old 04-23-2008, 01:57 PM
BigTruckDriver

ORIGINAL: Shadow99

Couple of things I noticed off the bat, was that your lipo was acually touching the heat sink on the main motor (not a good idea, lipo's are EASILY dented & that could cause cell damage, plus that heat sink gets HOT, I don't think the plastic wrapping on the lipo will like that).
Also you should remove the heat sink on the main motor & modify it so it opens up the vent holes on the motor (see pic below). This will add signifigant cooling to the motor & add to the overall LIFE of the motor, I oiled the bronze bushings of the motor as part of my pre-flight, using Tri-Flow 3in1 oil.

Shadow
Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to play around with it and see what I can do. I figure if I can get it balanced right at the main shaft section I will fly and try it out. I dont know if the helis fly better being nose heavy so I am going to try it.

Also for cooling , thanks Shadow for pointing that out about the heat sinks on the motor. I did buy another set of heat sinks yesterday. I am going to modify and use 2 main motor heat sinks ,and 2 tail motor heat sinks wraping both sides of the motors. I have been reading how fast heat kills a engine and now with the addition of a gyro heat will be up a little more.