Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

The Axe CP-L as a 2nd Helicopter?

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

The Axe CP-L as a 2nd Helicopter?

Old 05-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Wierdone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Axe CP-L as a 2nd Helicopter?

Greetings from a rookie who's learning hard on a Blade CX2 and considering a Helimax Axe CP-L or CPv3 (when it comes out) as my next Helicopter. First, is this practical or advisable after I get good on the CX2? Next, should I consider a fixed pitch before going to a CP machine and last, how does the Axe CP stack up to a 400 class machine or should I forget about a 400 class machine for now? I know the final decision is ultimately mine but I whould appreciate any advice or opinions out there as to my next step. Thanks ahead of time to you all!

A bad day flying is better than a good day working any day of the week!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:31 PM
GotM

Default RE: The Axe CP-L as a 2nd Helicopter?

I bought the AXE CP-L as my first Heli, and have been trying [&:] to fly it for a few months now. Having never flown a fixed pitch I dont know how to compare it to CP. Having said that, I am not sure it is all that different when not using idle-up mode. And, through most of my training I have only sampled the idle-up. Hopefully, someone will chime in and explain the difference.

If I were to start over again, I would go straight for the Blade 400. I like the idea of the heading hold gyro vs the rate gyro. With the AXE, I am always having to manipulate the tail. I think this has slowed my own progress. Plus, the Blade 400 comes with a better radio that can be used on future Helis. I know this is twice the price of the AXE, but would provide a less expensive next stepping stone using the Blade radio. Right now, I am trying to decide if I should buy the Blade 400 or go with a TRex 450 V1 or V2. A tough call, since I have also been spending on FPV fixed wing flying.

If money is a factor, the AXE has been a great first heli. Buy some flat bottom plastic main rotors blades, extra blade grips and feathering spindles. So far those are the only parts I have had to replace. Except for the tail boom, but those are easily had from 8mm 14" knitting needles at Walmart. Oh...eventually the rear tail motor will burn out. So far I replaced mine with a GWS motor for less than 1/2 the cost.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:35 PM
NMP400

I have an AXE Cp with the Lipo and love it for general cruising around. I feel it flies good for a 200 RTF helicopter. It is not that expensive if you crash and is relatively easy to fix.There also is not alot to set up other then pitch and tracking. It can fly with my 400 in the wind with alittle more effort. In less it is dead calm you need the heli in idle up. It is very hard to land in normal mode in a breeze especially when the pack is low. It will do loops and rolls. I fly mine just for fun. A more expensive heli like the Trex or Helimax 400 will fly better but their is alot more setup involved. I have a Walkera DF4 fixed that is a good hovering training tool and is pretty hardy but is more like an indoor heli. Cp's fly a lot better and are more stable with a higher head speed. I would get the CPV3 because of the adjustable pitch and just have fun then buy a 450. Get into forward flight first.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Wierdone

WOW!! Nice info on the AXE folks!! Thank you!! You brought up some good points I hadn't thought of!! Well... back to the thinking tank.... again!!! I appreiate the great info and responses!

A bird in the hand... is one you whacked with the rotor.....
Old 05-14-2008, 10:45 PM
BigTruckDriver

IMO I would not do a trex or same type as a beginer, I am a beginner. You would be looking at major damage from crashes. I have a axe cp and have broken a few blades , grips , and went through a few feathering spindles. What I am trying to say is that even though you might think it makes sinces to just get a trex and be done with it theres a lot of training involved before you can really fly a high dollar heli. Oh ya I just bought a coaxial heli to learn so I can fly my axe without breaking parts. But I think a axe would be ok for your next step.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:24 AM
brian1280

After reading these replies I thought I would just throw in my 2 cents so here it goes. I bought the axe as a first heli being brand new to the hobby. It is a good little starter, however I am fairly unhappy with Helimax in general. It seems the parts are always on backorder with my LHS. Sure you can order them online, but I sure do hate waiting for parts after a crash. I have replaced more on that axe than I would have liked to just in parts failing. Now with the battery recall and no ETA for the replacements, it just further upsets me with Helimax. After about 2 months of "flying"(waiting on parts mostly) I decided to upgrade to a Blade 400. Man what a difference. Sure do wish I had bought that as a first heli. MUCH easier to fly than the axe, parts are way cheaper and almost always available(except for that spindle shaft) and overall it is a much better heli IMO if not for the radio alone. I understand its 2X the price, but I probably invested about $600 into my axe in aluminum and replacement parts in about the first month I owned it. Like I said, the heli itself is a good little starter, but personally I wish I had spent a little extra and bought the B400 from the get go. Seems like I wasted $600 on somthing I cant even fly, not that I want to now that i have the 400.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:03 PM
alienteabagger

The AxeCP is an ok heli ONLY when theres local parts support. I myself owned and constantly crashed a first gen AxeCP. However, at this point in the game there are alot of ±200 RTF helis out there that are pretty much better than the latest incarnation of the AxeCP. But if you are set on getting an Axe, I will point out it's biggest weakness. The radio.

If you can get a better radio, one that will allow you to program pitch and throttle curves, then the AxeCP becomes a whole new machine and a real joy to fly (until you burn out a tail motor). Not long after I sold mines, I came across a guy who had a DX7 setup to fly his AxeCP. Wow!!!!! It flew like a much bigger heli. Amazing what higher headspeed will do for you.

So in closing, if you get an AxeCP, do not expect the world of it. It is an OK machine. Without upgrade$ you may soon outgrow it.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:15 PM
GOskateFL

when i first got into helicopters i invested in the original axe cp. when i was learning to fly i thought that it was the best thing since sliced bread. now that i am get better at flying i realize that this thing has limits. if i were to do it all over again i think that i would have gone for the blade 400 over the axe cp. don't get me wrong, the axe is a great little flyer i just think that the blade 400 is a better investment. with the blade 400 you can start off slow and move all the way up to 3D in one purchase. with the axe the progression stops at loops, rolls and inverted hovering. if money is tight like in my situation; then the axe would be ok, but i would recommend that you save up for the blade 400.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Wierdone

Thank you all for the excellent info! My flying budget is getting tight so I may have to get an AXE CPv3 BUT, the nice thing is I do have a DX7 I can us in it!!! (YAY!!!) I had about decided to wait and buy a B400 later on this year (and I still may) but, with all the excellent info you folks have offered, I have new hope. Again, I know the ultimate solution is mine but it certainly is nice to find out I have options. Once more, my thanks to you all!!

A bird in the hand means you weren't keeping your eyes on your aircraft!!
Old 05-26-2008, 10:35 AM
jcervantes11
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, My axe was alright I guess, I was able to hover it. After that, I went straight to a Helipro Black hawk 450 rtf. Now thats when ease of flying kicked in.
I think helipro black hawk 450 rtf is the best of under 300 dollar rtf heli. I even baught a eflite 400 3d, and still like black hawk 450 then eflite. Save
you're money and get you're self black hawk 450.

Comes with 2.4 radio for 299
http://www.ka-planes.com/inc/sdetail/1344

This one is the special edition but yet its a regular radio which i have. This one is all metal and fiber.
http://www.ka-planes.com/inc/sdetail/1327

This one is mine, original black hawk 450. I'm hovering in the living room, which is very hard to do, look at the space.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov_bNUvDTUU

Now i'm in my gorage, still a bit hard, all the wind my heli making. But there is also pics. Pics side show ends 2:09 and the rest is
video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDshd...eature=related

Check out the so called official thread of helipro black hawk.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_63...helipro/tm.htm

You will find many people buying these and enjoying it. I currently just baught the helipro black hawk 500 gp pro. Very nice helicopter and it was under 600 dollar rtf with 2.4 radio.
Radio is ok programible but no lcd screen. Basically to program what u do is plug in the usb cord to the radio to ur computer and run a software for it. Enjoy
Old 05-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Wierdone

Thank ye kindly! I'll definitly have to look into it!
Old 05-31-2008, 02:10 AM
Rotor13B

ORIGINAL: Wierdone

Greetings from a rookie who's learning hard on a Blade CX2 and considering a Helimax Axe CP-L or CPv3 (when it comes out) as my next Helicopter. First, is this practical or advisable after I get good on the CX2? Next, should I consider a fixed pitch before going to a CP machine and last, how does the Axe CP stack up to a 400 class machine or should I forget about a 400 class machine for now? I know the final decision is ultimately mine but I whould appreciate any advice or opinions out there as to my next step. Thanks ahead of time to you all!

A bad day flying is better than a good day working any day of the week!
I went ahead and read all the replies and the one thing that wasn't mentioned is parts availability. It doesn't matter what heli you get if you can't get parts locally for it. I'm not one to want to wait for mail order so I fly the Axe(2) also along with a T-rex 450SE. Both have great parts support at the local hobby stores so I don't have to worry so much about a crash. Waiting on parts all the time will severely hamper your learning curve, Sometimes to the point you will want to give up.

The other thing I wanted to point out is the Axe takes to mods very well. Ever since I converted one of my Axe' to belt tail it gets flown more than my Trex because it doesn't take alot of room to fly and the variable pitch tail with heading hold gyro works really well. Add that along with a brushless conversion to it and you have one great flying heli. Even in stock form it is very forgiving of noob hands and flys well if you have everything set up properly. If I had to do it again I would buy the Axe all over again because I never had any issues with it in stock or modded form.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:28 AM
r_william

Ditto on parts supply.

I have a LHS within 5 miles that has enough parts to build and Axe from scratch. Plus I'm about 20 miles from ReadyHeli so parts for my Trex (under construction) will be available in about 30 minutes by car or less than 48 hrs. by mail.

My Axe was my first Heli (Jan. of this year) and if not for the "jumping" that many have experienced I would only have had maybe two incidents that required more than a tail rotor and a set of main blades. And those two times I was flying in too small of an area.

I have since replaced the radio and servos and have had no problems since. I'm not pushing it hard at all and am content to take it sloooww. I'm now fully comfortable with tail in hovering, slow FF and BF to about 50 ft away, and am looing to take it higher and then move to side and nose in.

I'm waiting to send in my batts. for replacement because I'm having such good luck since replacing the radio and the batts. are in fine shape. Hopefully the longer I wait to send them in the sooner they'll come back.

RWW