Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

battery charging problem thunder power 3s

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

battery charging problem thunder power 3s

Old 05-19-2008, 11:00 PM
bmwnla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery charging problem thunder power 3s

hey guys i just got a used axe cp with a thunder power 730mah 11.1v lipo

i went to charge the lipo and my charger didnt recognize it......my charger is an astro flight lithium which does 1-9 cells

The battery seems charged and the guy i bought it from charged it with a pro peak quattro charger without problems

Why doesnt my charger recognize this battery???
Old 05-20-2008, 12:40 PM
GotM

Default RE: battery charging problem thunder power 3s

I am not sure of your charger problem, but I am not sure I would use that 730mAh battery on a AXE CP. The TP 730 is rated at 14C, that comes out to 10.2A. I have run an amp meter on the main motor alone and it draws 11-11.5A full throttle. This does not include the draw from the tail motor, receiver or servos.

If this was already used in the Axe, it may already be ruined and potentially the reason your charger does not see it.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:23 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

I agree, that battery is too small.

Have you used the battery yet? If its still fully charged, it might not recognize it. Use a volt-ohm meter to check the current voltage.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:06 PM
bmwnla

hey guess i figured out the problem.....which was wierd......i use a deans to micro deans adapter and the micro deans connector was not conducting the electric current for some reason.....

anyways im glad the battery isnt the problem

but now im worried as to why the battery isnt good for the heli

the stock battery is only like 630mah but its nimh

whats wrong with a small lipo? the guy who i bought it from had 10+ flights for 10-15 min on it no problems???
Old 05-20-2008, 07:08 PM
GotM

I am glad you figured out the battery.

The 730mAh TP battery is only rated to handle 14C continous, which comes out to 10.2A. Personally, I dont think the battery can handle the load needed. But, I am a little new to this myself. The stock Lipo battery for the Axe was a 950mAh, the new replacement battery (after recall) is a 910mAh 15C or 13.7A.

10-15 mins may be possible out of that 730 battery, but highly unrecommended. I was using TP 910 mAh batteries and getting similar time, and even longer out of a TP 1320. But, you dont want to over discharge a lipo battery. 10-15min should have put it over discharged. From what I have read on these forums, 80% discharge is about right. I run my 910 for about 4-5 min and that comes out pretty close to 80%. I run the 1320 about 6-7min.

I have run these batteries in the past 10-15 min, but I think their lifespan has been impacted greatly. I have sent one 910 back to TP, because of a dead cell. And, the other 910 and 1320 I have had my concerns if they are "puffing". I had been running all 3 of these batteries for long durations of flight. All of my future batteries will be treated by the 80% rule of thumb. An expensive lesson learned on my part.

I would like to know if others disagree with my comments, this is all still relatively new to me.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:23 PM
bmwnla

hmm well im still learning to hover.......so it gives me ample power for that

i didnt have a CP-L so mine came with a 630mah nimh pack stock not a 930 lipo like urs