Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

What did I screw up on my axe?

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

What did I screw up on my axe?

Old 07-26-2008, 06:58 PM
BigTruckDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did I screw up on my axe?

Besides everything.... I crashed the heli and when I went to check it out I picked it up and gave it a little throtle to see if it still would spin the blades. It did not spin the blades and a puff of smoke came out of the canopy. Is there a way to check the motor? What usually goes first the motor or the esc?
Old 07-26-2008, 09:17 PM
r_william

Default RE: What did I screw up on my axe?

Hard to say where the smoke came from from where I sit but generally speaking the motors are more tolerant, forgiving, etc, than the electronics...

Was the main shaft stalled (jammed, bound, etc) while you were trying to spin the blades?

Can you see or "smell" damage to either component (motor, 3 in 1)?

Does the tail motor work?

Do you have any other electrical and/or test equipment handy?

You can check the motor(s) by applying voltage to it from another source such as a battery, or, by spinning it with a voltmeter attached to see if the motor(s) generates any voltage (a DC motor will act as a generator when spun).

The 3 in 1 can be tested by attaching a DMM to the motor leads to see if it is "outputting" power, voltage, etc.

These tests can help determine the extent of the damage(s).

Good Luck, RWW

Old 07-27-2008, 02:45 AM
BigTruckDriver

Thanks for the help . I checked it out and ya I burned up the esc and a new one is 90 dollars so I will give it up instead of putting another 100 dollars into it.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:19 AM
r_william

Sorry to hear that.

This hobby does require somewhat elevated personal (emotional) and financial dedication as compared to other facets due to the high rate of "crashes".

Often these expenses are beyond what satisfaction some receive in return.

We'll at least you tried it.

BTW: You can find 2nd hand 3 in 1's on eBay all the time at about 25 - 50% of retail.

Coversely you can sell your Axe (or as parts) there as well.

RWW
Old 07-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Shadow99

That's too bad your willing to give up on the heli-hobby, there are alternatives to the $90 Helimax 3in1. You could go separates (3 individual componets, Main ESC, Tail ESC & HH Gyro).
I did this upgrade on my buddy's BCCP, cause he fried his 3in1, the main ESC was $21 bucks & the tail ESC was $14 thru Tower Hobbies. The HH Gyro was a Telebee-Zoom Head Lock gyro for $60 buck thru Helidirect, or the BCCP 3in1 is cheaper than the helimax unit and works just as well, if you can stand the Rate Gyro.

Shadow
Old 07-27-2008, 10:27 PM
BigTruckDriver

I was thimking about spending the 100 dollars on a better heli. I do have a gyro installed on this one with lipos. You guys got a good link on going seperates, how to? I have searched but I could not find good info on doing it.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Shadow99

BTD, This should help.

The part number for the Main Motor ESC (a Great Wing Servo unit) #ISC 400E/J (15 amp) with JR plug. The tail motor ESC was also a GWS unit # ICS 100/J (5 amp) with JR plug. I bought them thru Tower Hobbies, Towers numbers are LXHUY5 (tail) & LXHUZ1 (main).
The interfacing of the 2 ESC's into the workings of the AXE is not too challenging if you can solder.
Start with your BATTERY connection, I changed to ULTRA DEANS (UD) plugs from the MICRO DEANS the v1 AXE came with, they are a MUCH better plug. I also added another set of ULTRA DEANS at the motor connection (for set-up & tuning, disabling power to the motor). Both the BATTERY wires from the Main & Tail ESC's need to connect to the male UD plug, be sure to slide the Heat-Shrink Tubing on the wires BEFORE you solder the wires to the male UD plug.
Next is the connection at the motors, like I said above I added a UD connections from the ESC to the main motor, but I also did the same for the tail using left-over Micro DEANS plugs.
Last is the connections to the RX, on the AXE CP stock receiver channel #3 is the throttle, and #4 would be the rudder, but since you already have a gyro the tail's ESC would plug in there. Now it is just neating up all the wires & such. I've included some pictures, to show you somewhat of the arrangement I used (minus I have no Electric-Tail Motor, BDT system), but you can get an idea of where to cram the ESC's. The main ESC was zip-tied under the tail boom within the rear frame, when I had the ETM the ESC went next to the stock RX, just where the 3in1 was.

Shadow
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13409.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	999703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48063.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	999704   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26281.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	999705  
Old 08-05-2008, 11:55 AM
TripleTapper

Wow Shadow...thats quite a setup you have there! I know it sounds noobish (But since I am a noob, I guess its ok), I was really impressed by the on/off switch That right there is a cheap, simple, much better solution then the stock kit. Thanks for the idea.

I also noticed also that you are running a all aluminum head like myself, could you please check out my post here and see if it makes any sense to you?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7810940/tm.htm

Thanks
Old 08-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Shadow99

Doesn't really look like that anymore, switch got smashed after playing "PLINKO" thru an Oak tree in the yard! To lazy to replace the switch so I just plug in the Lipo, plus I changed to BL main motor & JR 285MG servos running on 6 volts! It's a total screamer!

Shadow
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37347.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1005069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34095.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1005070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75803.jpg