Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

CNC Blade Grips

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

CNC Blade Grips

Old 04-22-2009, 05:39 PM
BDT1967
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CNC Blade Grips

Hey all first post! I recently upgraded from an Blade CX to a Rotofly EX then finally to my newest bird the Axe CPV3, I have flown it two times, seems like every time I get overly excited and try to do something stupid, the first time had a "small" crash and broke one of the blade grips in the first 3 min of flight, not a big deal, took it home replaced the blade grip with a spare I had, decided I had done enough damage and switched to the EX, a few days later i had new blades and blade grips on the heli took it outside flew around for a while, about the time I got my bearings I did another stupid move and smacked the heli down on the ground breaking both blade grips. I have been looking into other options here and am wondering if anybody has had any positive experiences with the HMXE7459 aluminum blade grip kit. I am worried that if I upgrade the blade grips and smack it down on the ground again I might cause even more damage to something else. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83115.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1185337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72373.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1185338  
Old 04-22-2009, 09:04 PM
ilikethatsite

Default RE: CNC Blade Grips

I too went through a few in my trials with the cpv3. I decided to upgrade the same parts and have not broke those parts since. Flies the same as it did with the plastic parts. I am not a fan of upgrading that bird but if you are going to do it that might be the part to do it to. It's only $34. The difference is that if you are going to make this a habit of clipping your wings then I would stick with the plastic until you get better, It is much cheaper to replace the plastic parts.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:23 AM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

The advantages are: They can survive a harder impact. The balls don't wear as quickly as plastic. It a bit of "bling".

The disavantages are: The cost. You can still break them (I know). Getting the bearings out or removing a bent feathing shaft is a pain in the rear. The ball links are held in by tiny screws you can't buy if you loose one.

I like mine.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:37 AM
BDT1967

Hmm, well I am still undecided, I have 3 more plastic ones I suppose I will use them up, when their gone I guess I will take the hit and go for it.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:08 AM
BDT1967

So I went ahead and purchased the CNC Blade grips, they came in the mail yesterday, I grabbed two beers and told my wife I was heading to my hobby room to do some work. An hour later I had them all installed, I then installed a battery to check the tracking, everything looked great, but I began to notice I had a good amount of vibration. I looked over everything and decided that maybe the blades were a little tight, I loosened them up a tad but still I have vibration, I decided to wind the heli up and noticed that now the heli wants to drift all over the floor while its winding up, and the tail motor keeps going up and down in rpm, seems to me like the 4in1 is having a hard time with the extra vibration. Did any body else notice this after installing this kit? Is there something I might have done wrong? The blades are balanced as they are the same blades I used before installing the grips.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp45017.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1193210  
Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 AM
ilikethatsite

Sorry BDT1967 I did not have any issues when I installed them on mine. You have checked all the things I would have. You might try checking the flybar and make sure it is centered, bent, or the paddles are not flat. I noticed with mine even being a hair off it is a bucking bronco, but once dialed in it runs just fine.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:07 AM
BDT1967

I will check that when I get home, I was frustrated last night when I put it away, so there is a good chance that I overlooked something like that.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:23 AM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

Another thing to check is that the bearings are seated into the CNC blade grips the same amount. On mine, there's about 1 to 2 mm of purple blade grip rim visible beyond the bearing. In other words, they are not flush with the edge of the blade grip, but pushed in a little further to where they bottom out. If they are not seated, or are not equal, this will cause the blades to be off center. Just something to check in your search for vibration issues.

I found if I bent the flybar a little with the weights on the ends, it could cure most problems. Or, sliding it one war or the other just a touch helped too.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:32 AM
BDT1967

Cool I will check it out and let you know what I find.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:20 AM
BDT1967

Found the problem! It was in fact the flybar, must have done it while I was installing the kit, straitened it out, ran her up to speed with minimal if any vibration. Thanks yall!
Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 AM
ilikethatsite

Always good to see a heli back up in the air!