Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

My CP V3 Came..... Now I Need Some Help

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

My CP V3 Came..... Now I Need Some Help

Old 06-10-2009, 08:05 PM
CarGuy7a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My CP V3 Came..... Now I Need Some Help

Well my CP V3 came in yesterday but was feeling sick and didn't mess with it any so I charged up my lipos to prepare for today. So today I took her out in the garage and got everything ready and checked everything out. Blades aretracked perfect everything works in tip top shape. Got my Training gear installed and ready for the first spool up.

Spooled it up and let it sit a run for about3 minutes and then I added a little more throttle to get the heli to lighten up so I could trim it out which I had a difficult time doing.Once I got it prettyclose,I got a little braver and gave a nice little burst of juice to get the heli above the prop wash. When I get it above the prop wash, it will sit and hover for about 3 seconds with little to no input on the controlls and then all of the sudden it starts going ballistic suddenly veering to one side or the other and it's very inconsistent in which direction it wants to go. One time it will go forward, another rearward, one time right and one time left, all with tail in. I know there was no air moving since I was in my garage with all the doors shut. It did not have any tail wag so I think the Gyro is set about right I've not touched anything other than trim right out of the box. I also snapped a landing gear set in result of the sudden veering and me having to cut the throttle off to keep from absolutely destroying it.

Any Ideas on what I need to do or adjust? Is it just my bad flying or does something need to be adjusted?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:11 PM
nitro stan

Default RE: My CP V3 Came..... Now I Need Some Help

it wont just hover with no input, your hands are going to be moving all the time to keep it in check. mine want to fade to the right all the time. go ahead and get ya a tail motor to have on hand, mine lasted about 5 attemps at flying. its also VERY TWITCHY
Old 06-11-2009, 09:05 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

you might also consider that even though you are flying in your garage you are getting signal interference on the radio. You might check the surrounding area to make sure there is not a club or something that might fly 72 mhz. I cant fly in my garage for that very reason. Consider too that the club might not be sanctioned so you might have to hunt around to make sure.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:08 PM
PilotLight

ORIGINAL: CarGuy7a

Well my CP V3 came in yesterday but was feeling sick and didn't mess with it any so I charged up my lipos to prepare for today. So today I took her out in the garage and got everything ready and checked everything out. Blades aretracked perfect everything works in tip top shape. Got my Training gear installed and ready for the first spool up.

Spooled it up and let it sit a run for about3 minutes and then I added a little more throttle to get the heli to lighten up so I could trim it out which I had a difficult time doing.Once I got it prettyclose,I got a little braver and gave a nice little burst of juice to get the heli above the prop wash. When I get it above the prop wash, it will sit and hover for about 3 seconds with little to no input on the controlls and then all of the sudden it starts going ballistic suddenly veering to one side or the other and it's very inconsistent in which direction it wants to go. One time it will go forward, another rearward, one time right and one time left, all with tail in. I know there was no air moving since I was in my garage with all the doors shut. It did not have any tail wag so I think the Gyro is set about right I've not touched anything other than trim right out of the box. I also snapped a landing gear set in result of the sudden veering and me having to cut the throttle off to keep from absolutely destroying it.

Any Ideas on what I need to do or adjust? Is it just my bad flying or does something need to be adjusted?
That's how they fly. You have to be constantly correcting as it will not just stay in one spot by itself. Just like if you balance a bat or broom on your finger, you have to be correcting all the time. If it moves suddenlyor your input doesn't do anything, then I would suspect radio interference.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:45 PM
CarGuy7a

ORIGINAL: carlosponti

you might also consider that even though you are flying in your garage you are getting signal interference on the radio. You might check the surrounding area to make sure there is not a club or something that might fly 72 mhz. I cant fly in my garage for that very reason. Consider too that the club might not be sanctioned so you might have to hunt around to make sure.
Na there isn't a flying park within at least 20 miles from me. Actually all the inputs are there but very touchy, I may also be trying to over correct a little. I'm down with the fact it'll take a while to learn how she flies. I think alot of the problem too was my garage just isn't big enough to learn in. I need to take it outside on a no wind day (which may be saturday). It probably really is just me.

I think someone mentioned moving the servo rods in one of these threads to take some of the touchyness out of it. Right now they are in the outermost position from the servo pivot pointof the three. Would that help any?
Old 06-13-2009, 08:42 PM
CarGuy7a

Update: I moved the servo linkages in one hole on the servo horn and lengthened them one turn out. It helped a ton. It's not quite as twitchy on the stick and made it just a little more sluggish for my learning curve. I've got it to where I can make a good 20 to 30 second hover about a foot off the ground. Until a slight updraft caught the heli and she got uncontrollable (for my skill) and broke a training gear rod nothing too serious tho. I'm thinking about using something more readily available other than the carbon fiber rods since my LHS is over 30 miles away. I think I'm gonna use either aluminum or steel rod and maybe make them a little longer than the stock ones.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:12 PM
snobelt

No one has mentioned that the AXE CPV3 radio has a pitch control knob on it. The manual doesn't say much about it other than you can get more flight time if it is set lower. If it works like I think it does (I haven't tried it yet) you should be able to lower the pitch rate by dialing it in instead of fiddling with servo arm adjustments. You might find the AXE CPV3 to be a bit easier to handle with a lower pitch rate. I've only had two flights so far with this heli and am inclinded to leave things alone until I get the feel for it. My two flights were hover only in the garage but I managed to keep it up until the battery cut off forced me down. I was surprised how fast the battery discharged - maybe 4 or 5 minutes of actual air time. Need that second battery.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:56 AM
JEMFLYER

The stock Electrifly 910mAh 15C is not enough battery for the Axe.

And it is WAY overpriced.

Check out the Zippy 1300mAh 20-30C at Hobbyking.com.

I've been using 1300's on my 3 Axes for months and they are holding
up well.

I time my flights at 7 minutes, both to keep the battery from overdischarging
and to keep the tail motor cool.

Happy flying.
JEM
Old 06-26-2009, 06:09 PM
snobelt

ORIGINAL: JEMFLYER

up well.

Happy flying.
JEM
JEMFLYER - I couldn't find a 1300 mah Zippy on the Hobby King site. Can you give me a little more info? Is it the same physical size as the eflight battery? Yeah - the original is over $50.
Which is why I only have one. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:57 PM
carlosponti

looks like they dont have any in stock that jem is talking about.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...00mAh_3S1P_20C

this about like the ones i use
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...00mAh_3S1P_25C

Old 06-27-2009, 02:09 AM
CarGuy7a

ORIGINAL: snobelt

ORIGINAL: JEMFLYER

up well.

Happy flying.
JEM
JEMFLYER - I couldn't find a 1300 mah Zippy on the Hobby King site. Can you give me a little more info? Is it the same physical size as the eflight battery? Yeah - the original is over $50.
Which is why I only have one. Thanks.
The originial 910mah Electrifly lipo is over $50? Or are you talking about the Zippy? I got my second Electrifly 910mah from tower hobbies for $29. I don't know if I'd want more run time than what the 910 gives since the tail motor gets smoking hot after about 5 minutes.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:12 AM
JEMFLYER

The 1300mAh I use is the:

ZIPPY Flightmax 1300mAh 3S1P 20C

They are out of stock at the moment.

My experience is that it is best to put in your order, in this case a back order. HK will "reserve" the number of batteries
you order. You can also sign up for a email alert when stock comes in. The problem is, with some items, if you wait for
the email, they are all gone due to back orders.

The specs are:

Capacity: 1300mAh
Voltage: 3S1P / 3 Cell / 11.1v
Discharge: 20C Constant / 25-30C Burst
Weight: 118g (including wire, plug & shrink wrap)
Dimensions: 85x33x22mm
Balance Plug: JST-XH

These batteries are longer than the stock 910's, but they fit, barely,

Here is a picture of a mod I've done to my 3 Axe's partly to accomodate the longer battery, but it is not necessary.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95178.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1225624  
Old 06-27-2009, 06:43 PM
snobelt

That's a lot of mods you did. Why did you raise the tail?
Old 06-27-2009, 06:49 PM
snobelt

Are the ones you use an exact fit on the CPv3? I don't want to make any mods (yet) although I probably will later when (if) I get good with it. But I sure don't like the price Hobby Town quoted me for the original Electrofly replacement.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:01 AM
JEMFLYER

snobelt,<o></o>

<o></o>

Here are some specs for the stock, Turnigy & Zippy 1300's:<o></o>

<o></o>

stock battery:<o></o>

Pack Dimensions: 66x37x22mm (2.6x1.5x.9")<o></o>

Turnigy:<o></o>

1300 mAh battery:<o></o>

Minimum Capacity: 1300mAh<o></o>

Configuration: 3S1P / 11.1v / 3Cell<o></o>

Constant Discharge: 20C<o></o>

Peak Discharge (10sec): 30C<o></o>

Pack Weight: 115g<o></o>

Pack Size: 69 x 35 x 21mm<o></o>

Charge Plug: JST-XH <o></o>

<o></o>

zippy:<o></o>

Spec.<o></o>

Capacity: 1300mAh<o></o>

Voltage: 3S1P / 3 Cell / 11.1v<o></o>

Discharge: 20C Constant / 25-30C Burst<o></o>

Weight: 118g (including wire, plug & shrink wrap)<o></o>

Dimensions: 85x33x22mm<o></o>

Balance Plug: JST-XH<o></o>

<o></o>

I use the zippy, which as you can see is about .8" longer than stock. Before I modified my Axe's,<o></o>

I mounted them in the stock position. See the pics. The cut was not absolutely necessary, but <o></o>

it made putting the canopy on easier. Notice the rubber band behind the battery to keep it off
the motor.

<o></o>

As for the t-tail Axe, I was inspired by the CH 53.<o></o>

<o></o>

Note: The Turnigy battery, which is almost the same size as the 910mAh, is in stock at hobbyking.<o></o>

<o></o>

Happy flying.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58586.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1226244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76066.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1226245  
Old 07-02-2009, 10:05 PM
snobelt

JEMFLYER - OK, thanks for the info. I would think the fuselage cut-out would help cooling too. And good idea with the rubber band behind the battery. It should help prevent vibration wear. I suppose one could also put a small strip of foam tape on the back of each battery but it seems like every tiny nanometer of space in the pod is needed. It's hard enough to close the cussed thing as it is. In fact the last time I flew it I was sure the battery would drain before I got the pod on. And I used to think the CX2 battery was a pain! The price of progress.