Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

CPV3 Geared Tail Conversion Help.. A few questions

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

CPV3 Geared Tail Conversion Help.. A few questions

Old 06-29-2009, 05:25 PM
CarGuy7a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPV3 Geared Tail Conversion Help.. A few questions

I've read some of you talking about converting to a geared tail on the V3's. I'm thinking of doing this myself as my tail motor reaches temps of around 200 degrees F in about 5 minutes of flight (which I know is not good on a brushed motor) but I have a few questions about doing this mod.

1) Will this mod make the motor run cooler?
2) I'm having trouble finding parts to do this. Where are you all getting the parts for this conversion?
3) I know I need a new tail motor mount meant for the geared tail but having trouble finding them.
4) What all parts do I need to complete this tail assembly?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-29-2009, 11:23 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: CPV3 Geared Tail Conversion Help.. A few questions

Not sure where to get parts online, perhaps helihobby.com. In the meantime, I have a geared tail drive I'm not using anymore. I'll sell it with the old 3 in 1, a spare tail blade, gear, carbon axle, second motor etc for $50. It ran cooler when I was using it. See attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46717.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1227239  
Old 06-30-2009, 09:05 PM
snobelt

Default RE: CPV3 Geared Tail Conversion Help.. A few questions

I have read the arguments against the direct drive tail motor on this forum. It sounds like there is a tendency for it to overheat. I can't disagree since I just started flying a CPv3 and it's my first collective heli. I have no basis for comparison. I was talking to a guy today that is at the 3D level with his TREX. He has flown all the AXE models so I asked him for his opinion on the direct drive versus the geared tail. He said the direct drive tail felt a lot more locked in and more responsive that the geared drive. True or false? I dunno - I'm still trying to hold a good hover myself but I gotta think he knew what he was talking about. I mean, how do you argue with a guy that can carve inverted loops. There might just be a trade off in going back the geared tail.