Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

??Help me make my decision??

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

??Help me make my decision??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:21 PM
krussell.gpd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ??Help me make my decision??

So, I want a 400 size heli. I have all blade products CX3 MSR and the SR. I was going to go for the Blade 400 but found the Axe400 at a much cheaper price. I did jump the gun and bought it from Tower Hobbies. It shipped out today and will be here beginning of next week. Did I buy a good product or should I have stayed with the blade 400?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:29 AM
dragus359

Default RE: ??Help me make my decision??

I love my Axe 400! It's a solid bird. Honestly, from what I've been hearing, the Axe and the Blade are equivalent machines. They, both have pros and cons, so it doesn't really matter which one you get. One thing to note though, is that myself and others have had various issues with the Axe's gyro. Some lucked out and have experienced no difficulties, but I wasn't so fortunate. My bad gyro caused a crash that ran me about $100, so I would advise changing it out immediately if you notice any odd behavior. I've heard two complaints, the first being that the gyro doesn't hold the tail very well (this was not true in my case); the second issue is that the gyro cannot maintain equally proportional piro rates in both directions (I experienced this). By this, I mean that if you set your EPA to a certain number on either direction, the gyro will honor that parameter on right piros only. On left piros, the gyro will eventually let them run away into an uncontrolled spin, which has an obvious potential for calamity. Be advised that not everyone experiences this problem, so if your gyro doesn't behave like this, there's no real need to replace it. Two of mine did though, so that's why I'm mentioning it. Other than the gyro issue, the Axe is a perfect RTF package. You'll have plenty of options for replacement gyros, so if you ever have any problems with yours, search the forums to see which one might be good as a replacement to suit your needs.

Happy flying!
Old 06-18-2010, 02:03 AM
krussell.gpd

Are replacement parts for the Axe interchangable with the Trex?
Old 06-18-2010, 02:32 AM
krussell.gpd

Also, What battery would you recommend for the Axe 400?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:01 AM
dragus359

I believe a lot of them are.  I use T-Rex clone parts on mine, and they fit, so I would assume that genuine Align parts would too haha.  As for a battery, I've been using this battery since early January (the Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8934) and it's still flying like when I first got it - best part is that it's only 12 bucks, so i bought another one :-).  I don't know how handy you are with a soldering iron, but you'll have to buy and solder a Dean's plug on there so it connects with the ESC.  You can also look up the "Blue Lipo" brand on xheli.com.  I've tried them out on another heli of mine, and they work pretty well, but they haven't been time-tested by me so, I don't know how well they perform over time.  Definitely try out the Turnigy battery though, because it hasn't let me down.  Runs cool in the winter and is just past warm after a summer flight.  I usually fly them about twice a day each, some times I fly 3 times a day, and I've been doing it for 6 months with no noticeable drop in performance or flight times.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:35 AM
KrazyKoots

+1 on the Turnigy Packs Ihave 3 of them and have had no problems. Ilooked at a trex side by side with the axe and the whole head and tail are direct replacements aside from the swash. some of the older trex swash plates are 3 OR 4 point you can set them up either way. I have not been able to find a source for these yet. I have seen them on other peoples TREX450's though. Ihave not needed to try it yet, but Ithink the Mini Titan 325 swash is a direct fit. Ihave flown a blade 400 once and thats it. but from my limited flying ability the Axe 400 is a more capable machine it is cheaper but does not come with a lipo battery, or a charger, the blade and AXEcost about the same if you figure this fact in.

AXE 400 RTF 329.99-No lipo or charger. (cheap charger=30.00, cheap battery=30.00) total =389.99

Blade 400 RTF 399.99ready to fly needs nothing.

pretty close in price really not much cheaper. the blade has far better support, and aftermarket parts. and everybody has one.

The AXE has virtually no aftermarket support, but it uses many TREX450 parts and is easily upgraded.
In my opinion and from a bit of expierence The AXEcan outfly the blade every time. Its faster more responsive and has more power.