Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Aurora 9 Problems

Old 11-13-2010, 02:39 PM
PeteS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aurora 9 Problems

Hitec,

I recently had two crashes with my helis flying with an Aurora 9.

The first crash was with my E-550 which suddenly became unresponsive and crashed. When I reached the heli the red light was on, the TX showed that it was connected with the receiver but there was no response to control inputs. This heli was running an ICE 75 with a regulator.

Once I got home I connected a new ESC and everything worked great. I thought I had solved the problem.

The next day I went out with my Raptor E-620. (ICE 100/Castle BEC Pro) After range checks and fail safe checks I flew and all seemed OK. I was a great day and I felt I had the problem solved. On about the fourth flight the transmitter started beeping. I thought that this must be the low voltage alarm and turned to land. I gradually lost aileron control and the heli crashed.

Unlike the first crash I had control of the heli all the way except for aileron. The battery was disconnected in the crash so I couldn’t check the red light.

Afterwards the transmitter was totally unresponsive to screen touches. No matter where I pressed on the screen there was no response. It was totally locked up. Once I had turned it off and back on it worked normally.

Once I had it back on I looked for the cause of the beeping. Voltages were OK on the heli and TX. Since the beeps sounded like those the TX makes when trim or other adjustments are made I checked all for the settings. I finally found what had changed on the D/R & EXP screen. Rate for AILE was L: 11% R: 0%. This explains the loss of aileron control.

This sounds crazy but the transmitter spontaneously changed some settings and then locked up. The only thing that you could do was turn it off.

This is a bummer. In two days my heli inventory was wiped out. It’s going to take a while to save up for repairs.

I love my Aurora 9. I have had it for over a year and logged several hundred flights with it with absolutely no problems. Several members of the club I belong to have one of these transmitters with no problems.

What do you think?

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2010, 03:56 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aurora 9 Problems

ORIGINAL: PeteS Hitec,
I recently had two crashes with my helis flying with an Aurora 9.
The first crash was with my E-550 which suddenly became unresponsive and crashed. When I reached the heli the red light was on, the TX showed that it was connected with the receiver but there was no response to control inputs. This heli was running an ICE 75 with a regulator. Once I got home I connected a new ESC and everything worked great. I thought I had solved the problem. The next day I went out with my Raptor E-620. (ICE 100/Castle BEC Pro) After range checks and fail safe checks I flew and all seemed OK. I was a great day and I felt I had the problem solved. On about the fourth flight the transmitter started beeping. I thought that this must be the low voltage alarm and turned to land. I gradually lost aileron control and the heli crashed. Unlike the first crash I had control of the heli all the way except for aileron. The battery was disconnected in the crash so I couldn’t check the red light. Afterwards the transmitter was totally unresponsive to screen touches. No matter where I pressed on the screen there was no response. It was totally locked up. Once I had turned it off and back on it worked normally. Once I had it back on I looked for the cause of the beeping. Voltages were OK on the heli and TX. Since the beeps sounded like those the TX makes when trim or other adjustments are made I checked all for the settings. I finally found what had changed on the D/R & EXP screen. Rate for AILE was L: 11% R: 0%. This explains the loss of aileron control. This sounds crazy but the transmitter spontaneously changed some settings and then locked up. The only thing that you could do was turn it off. This is a bummer. In two days my heli inventory was wiped out. It’s going to take a while to save up for repairs. I love my Aurora 9. I have had it for over a year and logged several hundred flights with it with absolutely no problems. Several members of the club I belong to have one of these transmitters with no problems. What do you think?
Thanks!
ICE 75 problems with a regulator - is the RedESC/BECwire disconnected?
Optima Transceiver (RX) - SPC - SPC connection & Lead Detailed plus Optima Current Draw/Amps - NB: View warning Video re use of balance taps.
With regard to ICE 100 suggest,
The BEC on the ICE LITE-100 failed.
Castle recall all BEC Pro ESC
BEC are responsible for more EP crashes, irrespective of model/RC system, than any other reason.
The use of a switchmode regulator - (available 5V or 6V) rather than ESC/BEC is recommended with any system.
Electronic Speed Control - Why BEC and LVC cause most EP RX problems
and more at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Regards
Alan T.