Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

HS-5085MG for Standard Servo?

Old 12-01-2010, 03:19 PM
prgonzalez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HS-5085MG for Standard Servo?

I am selecting the servos for my TF Spitfire 60. TF recommends the use of standard servos.

So, what is or has been the definition of standard servos? Is it torque based? How much torque? etc. (many more questions)

My question: Could the HS-5085MG be used instead of standard servos in this Spitfire (Glow Powered) for ailerons and flaps?

I have been using this HS-5085 for throttle applications in glow engines without any issues.

Thanks
Pedro
Old 12-01-2010, 03:48 PM
A.T.

Default RE: HS-5085MG for Standard Servo?

ORIGINAL: prgonzalez I am selecting the servos for my TF Spitfire 60. TF recommends the use of standard servos.
So, what is or has been the definition of standard servos? Is it torque based? How much torque? etc. (many more questions)
My question: Could the HS-5085MG be used instead of standard servos in this Spitfire (Glow Powered) for ailerons and flaps?
I have been using this HS-5085 for throttle applications in glow engines without any issues. Thanks Pedro
"Standard" servos were based arounf the size and torque of original analogue servo typical of the HS-303 or Futaba S-16" when one size fits all" and typical models were .049 < .40 was condsidered a large glow engine for the average user. Then came the "Giant scale" servo quickly followed by the "Mini" and lately Micro and ultra light.
When considering a servo, not only must the size and weight be considered, the strength of the gear train is also important.
Whilst metal gears are strong, they can be very thin in smallservos. Would not consider an HS-5085MGsuitable forailerons let alone flaps on a .60 glow powered model. quote from spec page:
"A digital version of one of Hitec’s most popular miniservos the HS-5085MG offers excellent centering, resolution and durability for those looking to save weight without sacrificing performance. A popular servo for smaller airplanes, heli’s, boats, cars and trucks, the HS-5085MG offers a fine balance between speed and torque."
Hitec categorisethe above types separatelyunder "Analog" and "Digital":
Hitec Analog servos
Hitec Digital Servos
<dt>
101 - Servo FAQ & picking the right servo for the job
may assist.

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links</dt>
Old 12-02-2010, 07:05 AM
prgonzalez

Default RE: HS-5085MG for Standard Servo?

Alan,

Thank you for the information. Good reading.

I believe the confusion comes from comparing and seeing that one micro/mini servo has the same torque values than another standard-size case servo. So, we think, if they have same torque values, then they can be used for the same task.

On the other hand, there are weight requirements that we intent not to exceed, specially in warbirds. Contrary to other applications where I have seen pilots going to high-end torque servos no matter what, an overkill to the opinion of others.

Pedro