Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Erratic Hitec Throttle Servo

Old 02-22-2011, 07:02 AM
cpercival

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Erratic Hitec Throttle Servo

I have a Traxxas Revo 3.3 2.4 GHz truck with a Picco Max .26 Red Dot engine, and recently installed a brand new Hitec HS-965MG servo to control my throttle/braking. The servo immediately started acting erratically though. It randomly would start twitching and stuttering or if I pulled the throttle trigger and held it, the servo might begin to turn as it should, but then slow way down as it approached its endpoint. It's action was not very smooth either; it seemed to vibrate excessively as it moved. Additionally, it would sometimes randomly blip. The servo would turn quickly an 1/8 turn or so and come right back to zero. It would do this on its own. It also would not center itself very well. This kind of action would obviously not be good for a throttle servo.
I tried plugging the servo into the steering channel and it did not improve. I also tried plugging it into an entirely different car with a different transmitter and receiver. Same thing. All batteries were brand new or fully charged and no other servos I have were showing these symptoms. The symptoms seemed to resemble interference, but both test vehicles are 2.4 GHz, which I thought was supposed to be less susceptible to interference.
Figuring it was a bad servo, I sent it back to Hitec. They checked it out and could find nothing wrong with it. They did send a replacement though. However, the replacement is experiencing the exact same symptoms. I am including hyperlinks to 2 videos I took of the servo. I wasn't able to catch the blip, but the twitching is pretty obvious as is the issue with the servo not being able to center itself quickly.

I know a lot of people use this servo, and I haven't heard of this yet. I am getting pretty frustrated and would really appreciate some help. I'm not ready to give up yet, but I'm getting close.

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzBz2...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auPwr...layer_embedded

Old 02-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Brendan Lugo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Erratic Hitec Throttle Servo

The Traxxas 2.4 GHz radio can only use digital servos. Your servo is analog. Go with a 7965MG (digital version of your servo) and everything should work properly.