Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Optima 9 receiver SPC port

Old 03-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Godhelper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optima 9 receiver SPC port

Hi Guys,

I have this FANTASTIC A9 radio

I want to use the SPC port so can I plug in a standard 5-cell NiMh pack with an on/off switch and plug in the same in channel 9/bat port ?
Which one do I have to switch on first?

Regards
Kim
Old 03-04-2011, 11:41 AM
JIMF14D

Default RE: Optima 9 receiver SPC port

Well Iwould always turn on the SPC port first. But putting the same battery source into both SPC and RX power port seems to negate the /benifit of using the SPC port. As Iunderstand it and use it, the SPC port is intended to keep the Rx going even if the servos drag down the system. This is so the Rx is will not drop out with a low voltage transient.

If youi plug one battery into both ports, it seems a servo transient would drag down the RX also.

What am Imissing here guys?
Old 03-05-2011, 01:00 AM
Godhelper

Hi Jim,

Maybe I should clarify :I want to use two separate battery packs and two on/off switches to avoid too little power supply to the RX part, if the current draw is getting too high from the servos.

So, my question is :Is it OK to just plug them in the ch9 and SPC ports and which one should I turn on first?

Old 03-05-2011, 07:55 AM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

Since a battery hooked to the SPC port provides no power to servos, then the set-up you describe would not do what you want.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:34 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Godhelper Hi Guys, I have this FANTASTIC A9 radio
I want to use the SPC port so can I plug in a standard 5-cell NiMh pack with an on/off switch and plug in the same in channel 9/bat port ? Which one do I have to switch on first? Regards Kim
Optima Transceiver (RX) - SPC - SPC connection & Lead Detailed plus Optima Current Draw/Amps
"5. Separate Leads to SPC Port & Servo Bus from one lead ex battery on GP Model.
...Q. If using a Wolvering switch or similar with 2 outputs, would it work to plug 1 of the leads into the battery port, and the other lead into the SPC port.
...A(1). Plugging the same battery with two connections into the servo bus and SPC won't gain you anything... in fact it would be worse as it would put more load on the single connector powering the servos. You would need two separate power sources to take advantage of the SPC and isolated against a voltage sag from the main battery powering the servos which is the primary cause of brownouts. Even a small 2S Lipo would be sufficient for the SPC as it only draws about 80mah (if HTS-SS is not being used.).
...A(2).The most important thing when using a large amount of servos is not to bottleneck the ability to supply the power
6. Aurora A9 Warning Alarms Battery voltage levels and consumption"

Optima Transceiver (RX) - Battery set up for Nitro/Gas models#1 - caution re NiMH & Alert re LiFE.
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Dual or Multiple Batteries may be installedfor redundancy, even one for each servo.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features

Alan T.