Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Hitec Aurora 9 - Throttle to elevator downline mix question

Old 07-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Shahid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Aurora 9 - Throttle to elevator downline mix question

Hello all,

Just got my A9 today, impressed thus far. Nice build, love the menus and touch screen interface [8D]

I am currently trying to setup my F3A model before tomorrows practice session to get it all dialled in. Everything has gone OK except one thing.

I can pretty much duplicate my mixes and things that I used to have on my Spektrum DX7 except for one, that is the throttle-elevator downline mix. I used to have it on my DX7 so that when the throttle was pulled back to the last 2-3 "clicks" before idle, a few degrees of down elevator would kick in. This is to help keep the model pointing dead vertical in a downline, many precision models have this mix including IMAC ones.

In my DX7 I just do a regular mix, then offset this mix so that the "center" between the hi/low regions of the throttle sticks is shifted toward the idle end of the stick.

On the A9 the offset seems to alter the amount of throw on the elevator, NOT where it kicks in. IE, I can't see a way of making it so the elevator only kicks in the last 2-3 clicks of throttle? Instead it slowly mixes in all the way from mid-stick to idle as you'd expect. I've mix in about 40% down throw only to the "low" region of the throttle stick. (I know 40% is alot, alas the plane isn't the best built!)

A temporary work around I've got is to use the 7 point mix, and have the mix only work from point 1 to point 2. This is much better but the elevator kicks in the last 10-12 clicks of throttle or so. I'd prefer it if it was just the very last bit of throttle.

I hope I've made it clear what I'm trying to do, and that there is a solution available. I've been looking forward to the radio for a while and purchased it with the sole intention of using it with my F3A aircraft, hopefully I can get it all working OK

Thanks in advance!

Shahid

PS. To achieve the above it would be nice to have some sort of "step mix" function, where rather than having a percentage mix. You have a mix where one control surface kicks in at a certain value and stays there, based on the position of another control. That would hit the nail on the head for what I'm trying to do here, maybe a future software update or feature?
Old 07-12-2011, 07:46 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hitec Aurora 9 - Throttle to elevator downline mix question

ORIGINAL: Shahid Hello all,Just got my A9 today, impressed thus far. Nice build, love the menus and touch screen interface [8D]
I am currently trying to setup my F3A model before tomorrows practice session to get it all dialled in. Everything has gone OK except one thing.
I can pretty much duplicate my mixes and things that I used to have on my Spektrum DX7 except for one, that is the throttle-elevator downline mix. I used to have it on my DX7 so that when the throttle was pulled back to the last 2-3 "clicks" before idle, a few degrees of down elevator would kick in. This is to help keep the model pointing dead vertical in a downline, many precision models have this mix including IMAC ones.
In my DX7 I just do a regular mix, then offset this mix so that the "center" between the hi/low regions of the throttle sticks is shifted toward the idle end of the stick. On the A9 the offset seems to alter the amount of throw on the elevator, NOT where it kicks in. IE, I can't see a way of making it so the elevator only kicks in the last 2-3 clicks of throttle? Instead it slowly mixes in all the way from mid-stick to idle as you'd expect. I've mix in about 40% down throw only to the "low" region of the throttle stick. (I know 40% is alot, alas the plane isn't the best built!) A temporary work around I've got is to use the 7 point mix, and have the mix only work from point 1 to point 2. This is much better but the elevator kicks in the last 10-12 clicks of throttle or so. I'd prefer it if it was just the very last bit of throttle. I hope I've made it clear what I'm trying to do, and that there is a solution available. I've been looking forward to the radio for a while and purchased it with the sole intention of using it with my F3A aircraft, hopefully I can get it all working OK .Thanks in advance!
Shahid PS. To achieve the above it would be nice to have some sort of "step mix" function, where rather than having a percentage mix. You have a mix where one control surface kicks in at a certain value and stays there, based on the position of another control. That would hit the nail on the head for what I'm trying to do here, maybe a future software update or feature?

Aurora 9 - Cross Trims or Re-Assign Thr<>Elev Trims, Throttle Stick Rev, Sub Trims & Trim C & S problems.
&
3. Spoiler Channel Control with Throttle stick (Mode 1 - J2, Mode 2 - J3), between the direction of Throttle stick and direction Elevator movement are opposite each other under V1.08(0) is fixed. - V1.08(1) online since 11Jul11, may assist.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules &
Optima Transceivers

- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 07-13-2011, 02:29 AM
Shahid

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the response.; my transmitter software is V 1.08(0). I've had a look through the links you've suggested with cross trims and the spoiler control issue (V 1.08(1)), all good but forgive me for missing something here, I can't see how that'd address my issue?

Thanks in advance,

Shahid
Old 07-13-2011, 05:10 AM
Shahid

Ok I've found a sort of workaround and will describe it here for the benefit of others in the same situation.

I've found on the A9 the mixing from master to slave works on the master channels OUTPUT. Not the input as with some other systems.

What this means, is if you apply any trim or adjust endpoints, the position of the bar in the mix menu will move also.

So what I did was, setup a throttle-elevator p.mix, in p.mix number 8 (which is a 7 point mix). I activated only the point at the end of the stick travel and set it to 20%, I then applied 25 clicks of throttle "up" trim to move the slider bar across. Voila! Now the elevator only kicks in with the throttle stick virtually at idle or 1-2 clicks above.

This is a rough workaround, I fly electric so the fact I have trim doesn't affect my model in anyway as the speed controller will auto-calibrate. However those of you with IC engines may need to adjust the throttle linkage to compensate.

Hopefully Hitec might pick up on this and introduce some sort of step mix, or way of offsetting mixes, it would be nice to have a feature in the mix menu that will take the position of the master channel INPUT, rather than the output. Should you want to activate some function based on the position of the throttle stick itself, and not the signal output (which could be subjected to some curves etc). Otherwise altering your mixes based on channel output has the potential to muck up other settings/mixes.

Aside of this I am enjoying my new radio set, and look forward to trying it out soon for the money it packed to the brim with features

Hope this all makes sense! Cheers

Shahid