Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Guardian 2d/3d

Old 06-06-2013, 06:12 AM
rs402931

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guardian 2d/3d

Hi,Anyone using the Eagle Tree Guardian 2d/3d stabilizer with the aurora 9 ? I'm trying to figure out how to assign the switch for MODE and one for GAIN.thanks,Bob Silva
Old 06-06-2013, 08:25 AM
JIMF14D

Default RE: Guardian 2d/3d

Yes, I did it two days ago on a 3D HOBBY EDGE 48. Iused channel 7 with the right slider as "gyro-1 for gain and switch C with Channel 6 as Aux 1 for Guardian mode control. Both channels are set to Reverse. Ihave the slider set so full up is full gain and full down is no gain. Switch is set so up is 3D, mid is no gyro and down is 2D.

I am using an OPTIMA 7 RX.Ihave only made 6-8 flights with it but it is great. Iam not a 3D pilot for sure.
The 2D mode works fine as a mode to keep the right side up. It is a little different than expected in that it seems to limit full stick banks to about 25 degrees or so.

3D mode so far seems awesome for just basic stuff. Flew it today in 7 knot wind and it keeps the plane stable in any atitude. Break out from 3D flying attitude hold to flying with stick motion takes a little getting used to as there is a very tiny delay.
Handy when you taxi back from the end of the runway to the pits. 3d keeps the plane tracking down the runway center line much better than Ican hand steer. Ihave not made a take off with 3D it yet but on fast taxis into the wind it keep the plane very straight.

Remember you have to have the plane level and throw the mode switch up and down right after you power to intialize the trims and gyro for "level flight" before.

And oh yes, it is not Altitude hold and you still have to fly the plane!

Enjoy!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 AM
rs402931

Default RE: Guardian 2d/3d

Thanks Jim for the quick reply....  Ill let you know how It goes.

thanks,

Bob

Old 09-13-2013, 02:36 PM
JohnB96041

Help. I have a new eagle tree guardian and need help setting up my DX8 transmitter and AR8000 receiver in a Funtana 125 with a DLE 20cc gas engine. I have an optical cut-off for the gas engine that I would like to keep active on the gear switch. Would like to have the programming for setting the guardian on the flap/gyro 3 position switch. Any one out there with this programming experience?

Old 09-13-2013, 02:57 PM
JIMF14D

Originally Posted by JohnB96041 View Post
Help. I have a new eagle tree guardian and need help setting up my DX8 transmitter and AR8000 receiver in a Funtana 125 with a DLE 20cc gas engine. I have an optical cut-off for the gas engine that I would like to keep active on the gear switch. Would like to have the programming for setting the guardian on the flap/gyro 3 position switch. Any one out there with this programming experience?
I can't give you the details as I am a Hitec Aurora 9 guy but here is the general idea if you know how to do basic things with your TX.
1. Pick a spare Rx channel and plug that into the Guardian Mode channel. Set that channel so it is controlled by your flap/gyro 3 switch. Set things so Up is full servo output on one direction. Set it so mid is zero servo output and set it so down is full servo in the other direction. Up will be 3D mode (attitude hold), mid will be off and Down will be 2D mode (recovery-level model and right side up). If you want to be able to set and change the gyro gain from your DX 8 then set another channel (gyro gain) and connect it to the Guardian Gain input. Then set controls of that RX channel so they vary servo out put from one of the slides/rotary controls on your TX.
Note: Using the gain control from your TX , the Guardian gain will be 2 times the Guardian pot settings so use caution the first time you try it. You may have to adjust the pots on the Guardian as needed to get the right final control from the TX gain control knob.

Good luck!

Last edited by JIMF14D; 09-13-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:33 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Be sure to check out the guardian on the ground with the running. It doesn't like vibration.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:39 PM
JohnB96041

Problem solved. I left the opt kill switch on the gear switch (because it was working properly). I placed the Mod lead from the ET Guardian to the Aux 2 port and on the TX set -100 - 0 +100. This set the switch for center being off. Placed the Gain lead into Aux 3 and set the settings for +100 - 0 - -100. Everything worked, so did a test flight and it worked perfectly.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:47 PM
JIMF14D

Originally Posted by JohnB96041 View Post
Problem solved. I left the opt kill switch on the gear switch (because it was working properly). I placed the Mod lead from the ET Guardian to the Aux 2 port and on the TX set -100 - 0 +100. This set the switch for center being off. Placed the Gain lead into Aux 3 and set the settings for +100 - 0 - -100. Everything worked, so did a test flight and it worked perfectly.
Good job!

A word of caution if you use the TX knob for gain settings. Depending on how you have the knob set up you can end up making major gain changes if you bump the knob and don't realize it. If you have too much get you will get oscillations at higher speeds. Too little and the gyro will not provide enough inputs.
Have fun