Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Aurora 9X Sticky Momentary Switch "H", can I clean it?

Old 05-01-2016, 04:18 PM
aadams1278

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aurora 9X Sticky Momentary Switch "H", can I clean it?

I have a 9X that is about 1.5 years old, hasn't seen a lot of use yet. The momentary switch on the upper right (labeled "H" I believe) that is spring loaded to the off position, has recently started sticking in the on position when I release it. It's as if it's gotten dirty somehow and there is some resistance keeping the spring from being strong enough to pull it back into the off position. When I first noticed it, I tried to work it back and forth several times to see if it would get better and it didn't seem to make much difference. About a week later I didn't notice it being a problem at all. Now it's a week or so later and it's doing it worse again. The switch function within the radio is working completely correctly, so I do not suspect any type of electrical problem with it, just mechanical.

It's not a huge deal since I only use that switch for throttle cut and choke activation, both of which will cut the engine off so it's not critical that it releases immediately when I let my finger off the switch, but it's definitely not supposed to be that way and I definitely haven't "worn it out".

Is there some kind of electrical safe spray lubricant I can use to clean it out and loosen it up? I'm competent with soldering if I should get a replacement switch. I'd rather avoid the downtime of sending it in for repair during the flying season if possible.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:39 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a can of contact cleaner for electronics and spray it directly in to the switch pivot point. It's harmless to any thing internal or external to the transmitter. Work the switch back and forth several times and blow it out with a computer duster. Dan.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:21 PM
aadams1278

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found contact cleaner and lubricant at radio shack. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have made a significant improvement. Maybe slightly. I'll see how it goes over time. Worst case probably just deal with it until end of the flying session.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:47 AM
Xpress

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cleaners won't get into the movement of the switch, you would have to replace it. We have them in stock, you just need to give us a call and purchase it. Would take about half an hour at the most to remove the old switch and fit the new one.