Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Digital Servo's

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 12:57 PM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital Servo's

I understand the advantages of the new digital servo's, but do I really need the programer to use them. I have a Futaba 9C and can program endpoints, subtrims,reversing, etc. If I can match surface throws, (elevators for example) with my TX, what else would the programer do for me.
Chuck
Old 11-12-2003, 02:53 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Digital Servo's

You would only need the programmer if you plan to use more than one servo per control surface because the servos would then need to be matched.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:02 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Digital Servo's

I'm not going to attempt to get too technical here and I'm talking from little experience todate.

You are correct, that you really don't need the programmer to use the Hitec digitals -- they are no different in their basic operation than the other brands.

Use of the Hitec Programmer is an enhancement for both digital and analog servos.

1) For both analog and digital servos you have a device to test these servos without a TX and it can also be used to test your TX's pulse widths. The programmer has two test modes, manual and auto. In the manual mode, as you move the dial on the programmer you move the servo arm. In the auto mode the programmer will cycle your servo back and forth between endpoints until you stop (you can adjust the speed) -- I use this mode to burn in my servos to get a warm fuzzy they will not fail in the air.

2) (Not an expert's opinion, just my impressions) You can do a pretty good job balancing two servos using the endpoint and subtrim adjustments in your TX without the programmer if you have servos with excellant centering characteristics. With the programmer though, you can set each servo to the true center. After you have done this you can program their true endpoints -- this pretty much guarantees the servos are moving the same distance from the same center given the same stick movement. I'm not really clear how resetting the deadpan helps here -- someone else can pipe in. To really take advantage of the programmer you should create a test device to project the servos' arm travel across a protractor -- you should be able to make changes at the 1 degree resolution with this device.

What this means to me is that if my TX subtrim and endpoints are set for 0 and 100% (I use 150 on the programmer) for each elevator channel in an ailevator mix(channel 2 and 8) I only have to be concerned that the angle of the push rod connectors are the same, i.e., 90% to the clevis. My goal here is that when I move the elevator to max deflection both elevator surface halves deflect the same angle without compensation from the TX endpoints. If this is the case then the entire deflection travel should be identical as well. If I only relied on the TX then I would possibly have different subtrims for each servo and different endpoints -- this has got to cause a slight difference in the deflection angles between neutral and full. I still have use for the TX because I want to be able to refine my endpoints and exponential based on manufacturers recommendations and my normal flying styles.

I hope this has helped or at least generates responses from more knowledgeable individuals.