Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

No glitch with old Tx, glitches with Evo

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 11:54 AM
venkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No glitch with old Tx, glitches with Evo

I had a previous thread about this but hadn't yet confirmed that switching transmitters caused the problem. Yesterday I was able to take both transmitters out and confirmed that with the old transmitter there are no glitches, but there are lots of glitches with the Evo.

Details: the old transmitter is an Airtronics SP7; the new one is an Evo 9 synthesized. The plane is a foamy glider (a DAW 1-26, great sloper) with a dual-conversion reciever (either an Airtronics or RCD, can't recall and it's buried in the foam). The interesting thing is the flying site - almost literally in the shadow of a large Navy RADAR dish. This is Discovery Park in Seattle.

Yesterday I took the glider out with the Airtronics transmitter, fired both up and didn't experience a single glitch. I've flown this combination at this flying site lots of times and never had a single hit. I then shut down the Airtronics transmitter and turned on the Evo - LOTS of glitches. I switched transmitters back and forth several times to verify it wasn't some weird timing fluke, and every time the Airtronics was rock solid and the Evo glitched very badly.

I haven't had a chance to fly in other locations with the Evo yet, but back in my garage it's just fine - I've set it up to run the ailerons automatically and let it go for over 5 minutes several times and had zero problems. At the park it wouldn't go more than 30 seconds without a glitch.

The glitches do seem to be dependent on how I hold the transmitter; some positions caused more trouble than others. Also, with neither transmitter turned on the controls on the glider don't twitch at all for what that's worth. The glitching seemed to get worse over the time I was out too (freshly charged batteries all around, so that shouldn't have been a problem).

So any ideas? Is the RADAR signal causing interference within the Evo itself, rather that within the receiver? What can I do about this? As it is, I can't use my new Evo at my favorite flying site, and that sucks!
Old 11-21-2003, 01:11 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: No glitch with old Tx, glitches with Evo

Please verify which receiver it is. I know that the Hitec radios on positive shift would sometimes have trouble with the older airtronics recievers; maybe this is the case. The first thing to do is test it with another receiver to see if it has the same problem. If it is determined that there is a problem then send it in and we will repair or replace it under warranty.

Mike.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:32 PM
venkman

OK, I can verify which receiver. I'm pretty sure I've had the same problem with an FMA M5 receiver as well - it definitely glitched with the Evo at the same flying site, the difference is I didn't have the old transmitter with me that day to do that check.

I guess what concerns me is there might not be anything really wrong with the transmitter, it may just be susceptible to interference from this particular RADAR installation. Certainly it's a demanding situation for any RC equipement to perform under. In that case there's nothing for you to fix but I still can't fly at that site, and that would suck!

I also want to thank you for your help to date, and publicly state how much I like the new Evo's. The problem I'm currently having is a bummer but otherwise I have nothing but good things to say about the radio.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:02 PM
venkman

OK, I went out over the weekend and tried out my Evo with the following receivers:

2 Airtronics receivers (both dual conversion), one on channel 30 and another on channel 50
1 RCD receiver (dual conversion), on channel 30
1 FMA M5 receiver, on channel 21

With all of them I had severe glitching with the Evo. I couldn't try the M5 with another transmitter, but both Airtronics and the RCD had no glitches with my old transmitter. Plus I've seen others fly with M5's at this same location with no problem

All of the receivers experienced no glitches with the Evo back in the garage.

Just for fun, I tried having both the RCD and the Airtronics receiver on channel 30 on at the same time. They would both glitch at the exact same time and in the exact same ways (for example, rudder would go full right on both at the exact same time).

Mike, what do you suggest?
Old 11-26-2003, 12:42 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

I don't know... it sounds like there is a problem in one specific area. I would send it in and let us check it out.

Mike.