Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Hitec 645MG servos

Old 01-07-2004, 07:35 PM
kstinman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec 645MG servos

I have never had Hitec servos before, I've always used Futaba,
but I bought Hitec 645MG servos for my Hanger 9 Cap 232 80" Plane.

My problem is that so far I have installed the Aileron servos and set them up
with the Nelson (Rocket City) Hardware. They are having a problem centering and
they growl the whole time they are moved back and forth. Is this normal for metal geared
servos? I'm not sure I trust them in my new plane.

HLC
Old 01-08-2004, 11:33 AM
kstinman

Default RE: Hitec 645MG servos

HELP Please
Old 01-08-2004, 11:47 AM
mbba2002
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

Did you check the servo operation before installing it in your plane. You may have a problem with something binding. It is a good pratice to check the servo out before installing it.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:16 PM
kstinman

mbbaj2001

Yes I did check them out before installing them and no problem, but I have also checked to try
and find a bind and can't. I've never used Nelson Hardware before, I've always used a 4/40 rod and golden clevis,
but there doesn't seem to be a bind, they just growl the whole time you move them.

Thanks,

HLC
Old 01-08-2004, 01:01 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

It sure sounds like they are trying to hang up. Could your ball links be too tight (assuming your using them). I have used 645's in my gp patty for over a year and well over a hundred flights ( I dont count them) and all I have had to do is replace the metal gears in them once from wear. disconnect the link and just let them push the rod freely. If they sound OK something is hanging up
Old 01-08-2004, 06:19 PM
kstinman

Thanks Smallfly,

I have not used ball links in the past and I may have them too tight. Are they supposed to be just snug instead of as tight
as you can get them on the servo metal horn?

Thanks again, I'll keep working with them.

HLC
Old 01-17-2004, 07:49 PM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

I have had some 645's that had problems centering. I sent them back to Hitec, and they either fixed them or replaced them. some where centering bad, brand new out of the box.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:09 PM
kstinman

m.gramling

Thanks, I took care of the immediate problem. I BOUGHT FUTABA servos and they work fine.

As for the Hitec , I will be sending them back, but I'm through with trying Hitec.

HLC
Old 01-18-2004, 08:55 AM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

Some hitec servos are great. I really like the 945's and 5945's but they have the coreless motors. But some of the 645's and 605's have centering problems. I had some 645's that I just sold that I know longer needed, have atleast 50flights on them and they centered perfect everytime. I fly w/ some guys that fly 425's and they really like them a lot.

i have 2-945's that probably have 100flights on them and their still centering dead on everytime. I liked them so much, I descided to by 2-5945's digitals and give them a shot.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:56 PM
MikeMayberry

I do agree that the servos should have worked better than you claim and understand your frustration. If you set the servos up for 3D travel then the resolution of the servo becomes much more critical because even a tiny amount of servo travel affects the control surface. This is why it is best to use a coreless or digital servo in these applications.

I'm just curious what Futaba servos you replaced them with. You say they work better but are they the same level servo or do they use a coreless motor? If so, then your comparison is not a fair one. We also have coreless motor and digital servos that are much more precise. It's a shame you didn't pick the optimum Hitec servo for that application or you would probably have a much different opinion about our servos.

Mike.