Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

HS-5645 unresponsive on Y harness

Old 05-26-2002, 04:06 PM
Gill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HS-5645 unresponsive on Y harness

Mike,

I have just purchased 8 Hitec digitals and each worked individually when plugged into my Multiplex 12 channel receiver. When I connect two HS-5645 together with a Y harness to one channel they are dead. Either will work on the Y by themselves. Or two HS-225MG will work on the Y. But if I connect a 5645 and a 225 together, only the 5645 works. I have tried two different brands of Y harnesses with the same results.

Is this a case of too much loading on the receiver output, or a digital servo problem? I don't want to risk my new jet turbine plane on something that is marginal if I do get it to work. What do you say?
Old 05-27-2002, 12:49 PM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I experienced a similar problem with two Hitec 5645's when I installed them on the flaps of my P47. I used a "Y" harness and a servo reverser on one servo. It worked, but the throw and response on the servo with the reversed servo was greatly reduced. I eventually removed the reverser and went into the servo and reversed the wires on the pot and the motor. The reverser works just fine with standard servos. I emailed Hitec about the problem, but they were at a loss to explain it.

Vince
Old 05-27-2002, 01:01 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Gill

Are you using amplified, buffered or boosted Wye's?

I assume you've chosen to wye rather than program an AUX channel to work in conjunction with the primary control output.

I'd eliminate the wye and use the AUX channel if possible, there are many benefits to this arrangement over a wye.
Old 05-27-2002, 01:04 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Vince

I have a TF P47 with flaps on two standard Futaba 3001 servos, I eliminated the need for a reversed servo by simply flipping the servo over, right and left hatch doors and servo mounts. I like the KISS principle...
Old 05-27-2002, 03:12 PM
Gill

Thanks for the replys guys.

Vince, I do need to reverse one of my servos but planned on doing it with the Hitec programmer WHENEVER my LHS gets one in. I used to get into the servos and reverse the wiring on pots and motor, but with the new digitals they can be programmed.

mglavin, I'm only using a y, the heavy duty Pro Series Hobbico, 20 wire gauge, no buffers or amps. It will work fine with one 5645, but doesn't even twitch with two. Almost as if the servo microprocessor doesn't even turn on (Cross talk between servos?). I probably will use the extra channel as I originally set it up, but thought by using the y I could gain a channel (as if I needed one with 12 available). However, by not using the y I can reverse the servo in the transmitter programming. And I also am a proponent of the KISS principal but the servo as mounted fits. They are mounted in the body, forward to drive the canard elevators.

The reason for posting the problem was to get an explaination from Hitec as to why the y has problems. I hope to get a good complete technical answer and to learn if I was the only one with this problem with the Hitec digital servos.

Thanks again for your inputs.
Old 05-31-2002, 03:52 PM
Gill

Default Just received my programmer

My LHS just came through with the Digital Servo Programmer. The instructions have information on the digital servos that is interesting, and confusing.

It says that " All Hitec servos require 3-5V peak-to-peak square wave pulse.
Hitec digital servos require 0.8-5V peak-to-peak square wave pulse."

Does this mean that the pulse height needs to be, for digitals, a transition voltage range of 4.2V (from .8V to 5V)?
Higher than the regular servos, 2V (3V to 5V)?

Or does this mean it will respond to a square wave anywhere in the range from 0 to a height of .8V to 5V? (Or 3V to 5V in the case of non digital servos)?

Could I have a problem with the receiver not meeting this spec when I load the output with two servos? Multiplex will not like to hear that!

Awaiting your expert analysis.
Old 05-31-2002, 08:30 PM
MikeMayberry

Gill- I don't have a solution for you. This is the first I have heard of such a problem. How long is the "Y"?

Mike.
Old 06-01-2002, 12:05 AM
Gill

Default Y length

Mike,

One Y I tried was 12" long. The hobbico heavy duty Y is 23" long. Neither worked.

Would you please answer the question I have about the signal voltage requirements (#6 on this thread)?

Now that I have a programmer I will reset the servos to see if it makes a difference.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:04 PM
MikeMayberry

No the voltage is the same.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:16 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Give this a shot

Get rid of the Hobbico Y's and replace with something decent.

I have had similar results with Hobbico Y's and extensions.

Then I even discovered a post somewhere that reinforced this problem.

I was at a loss twice and since replacing them I have not had a problem.

I hope this may help