Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Eclipse 7, Futaba GY401 = Confusion ???

Old 01-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Rotorwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eclipse 7, Futaba GY401 = Confusion ???

Hi Mike,
Ok, I’m confused.!!???
I have a Hitech eclipse 7 channel transmitter and a Futaba GY401 gyro. The instructions for the GY401 say to plug the gyro into channel 4 (rudder), then plug the rudder servo into the Gy401 and the gain control into channel 5. The Eclipse manual on the other hand says to plug the gyro into channel 5 and the gain control into channel 7 ????? I currently have the Eclipse electron 6 channel receiver. Am I going to be able to take full advantage of the GY401 with this receiver ???? Do I need a 7 channel receiver to take full advantage of the GY401 ??????

I really like the Eclipse 7 so far, but am still a little confused on the Heli setups.

Thanks in advance for any info,

Lynn
Old 01-28-2004, 12:44 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Eclipse 7, Futaba GY401 = Confusion ???

How do I set up Eclipse with my gyro in a helicopter?

The first thing to do is disregard the instructions as written in the manual for this function.

There are several ways to set-up your heli’s gyro using the Eclipse radio.

The first issue is to determine what kind of gyro you have. Is it an older “standard rate” or a more modern “Heading Hold” or HH gyro? All gyros will have at least two leads, one to the tail rotor servo and one that plugs into ch. 4 on most receivers. If your gyro has three leads, the third one will either plug into ch. 5 or ch. 7 when used with the Eclipse. Read through the following information to determine what you should do.

Standard rate gyro set-up

There are two types of standard rate gyros; the simplest offers one rate or “gain” setting adjustable on the gyro body. These gyros offer no gain adjustment through the radio system.

A more sophisticated standard rate gyro will offer a dual rate or dual gain capability with the gain adjustments located on the gyro’s body. If your gyro is one of these, it will have three wires as described above. You should plug the third wire into ch. 7 of the receiver and use the ch. 7 switch to select from one gain value or the other.

HH or Heading Hold gyro set-up

Most modern HH gyros allow the user to select between HH or standard rate function. All have three wires and can be used with the third wire plugged into ch. 5 or ch. 7 of your receiver when used with the Eclipse.

Ch. 7 function

The ch. 7 set-up allows you to select two different rates in any throttle hold, normal or idle-up switch position. If the rates or “gain” values are selectable on the gyro body, adjust accordingly and use the ch. 7 switch to select between the pre-adjusted rate values. If there are no gain adjustments on the gyro body, typically you would use the ch. 7 EPA adjustments to set the gain values. With the ch. 7 switch in one position, adjust the EPA value between the 51% and 100% for HH capability and between 49% and 0% for Standard rate capability. Do the same set-up with the switch in the other position to achieve the two different gain values you want.

Ch. 5 function

Plugging your HH gyro into ch. 5 of the receiver allows you to use the gyro gain software screen within the Eclipse radio programming to change your gyros gain value through the software for any throttle hold, normal or idle-up switch position. Adjust the gain screens value between the 51% and 100% for HH capability and between 49% and 0% for Standard rate capability. When this is done, your selected gain value will apply in each of these different flight modes.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:14 PM
Rotorwing

Default RE: Eclipse 7, Futaba GY401 = Confusion ???

Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply !

The way you explained it make sense to me now.
Since I only have a 6 channel receiver I'll plug the gain control into channel 5.

Thanks again for the info......

Lynn