Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Hitec Prism 7 Glitch

Old 02-07-2004, 12:11 AM
wrob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Prism 7 Glitch

I purchased two Hitec Prism 7 radios back in 1997. One of the transmitters appears to have some kind of a glitch in it. The first plane it crashed was my Hobby Lobby Skimmer. At that time I attributed the spin into the ground to a wing tip stall common on that design. A bit later I was flying my new SimProp Acro 40 (The best plane I ever had). It accelerated and went into the ground. Right then and there I put two and two together.

Upon thinking about the problem I decided it was cheaper, from an airplane point of view, to just buy a new radio. The transmitter, like new, has been sitting in my trunk for years. Is it worth taking a chance on...repairing. Or should I just avoid it.

My other Hitec Prism has performed very well.

Thanks for any advise...

Will
Old 02-07-2004, 01:16 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Hitec Prism 7 Glitch

hi

sorry to hear about your problems with hitec. I have a prism 7 and an eclipse 7 and am very happy with both. absolutely no problems. how does it do on range checks? hitec is very good on customer service, the lcd went out on my prism 7 and they replaced it with no charge. have you talked to their service dept?

my experience with them is such that if I were buying a radio today it would be a hitec.

good flying
joe
Old 02-07-2004, 05:46 PM
wrob

Default RE: Hitec Prism 7 Glitch

Thanks, for the reply. I'm an eletronic technician - Air Traffic Control equipment like radars and radios. When I realized I was having a problem with the radio it was under warrenty. However, I was afraid to have it fixed because there was no way of checking it. The problem is so intermitent.

It does fine on a ground check. Perhaps there's a chip that is sensitive to heat or vibration inside. Could be a cold solder joint. Could be in the RF module. Don't know... I'm just wondering how HiTec goes about fixing such a problem. Heck...I don't want to lose another plane...they aren't cheap. A radio is cheaper.

I've already replaced the radio with a Futaba that was on sale. I usually have 5 or 6 planes that I rotate flying. The Prism 7 has a 3 plane memory. I would not hesitate to buy another HiTec. Problems like this can happen with any product.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85003.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	98431