Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Diffrent Hitec servo numbers

Old 02-13-2004, 05:43 PM
macmaster77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diffrent Hitec servo numbers

I am building a Mike Hurley Extra 300 that was featured in the AMA magazine about a year ago. This is classified as a 35% airframe. I have been reading different posts on Hitec servos being !QUOT!bad!QUOT!. I wanted to tell you what servos I bought for this airplane and see if they would work of if I have to go back to the drawing board. The list is as follows:

Throttle/Kill Switch HS-5475 HB
Ailerons (2 on each surface) HS-5645MG
Elevator/Rudder (2 on each surface) HS-5945MG

Also I have hears about digitals needing more power. How many milliamps would be enough. I was going to go with a 6 volt system. Also, what type of battery is the best (Lithium, Nickel Metal, Ni-cads)?

I have been using Hitec products alot and I am really happy with them so far. This will be my first experience with digital servos, and I just want to do it right.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Spencer
Old 03-17-2004, 12:21 PM
wild330

Default RE: Diffrent Hitec servo numbers

You should go with two receivers, two swithches and two 2700 Ni-mh batteries at 6 volts. Try to use a jumper between receivers like Chip recomends.
Of course there are lots of other configuration that would have good results but are also more expensive.
Hope this helps.
Patricio.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:42 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Diffrent Hitec servo numbers

mac

The servos you have chosen will do the job. I would prefer to see the 5945's on the ailerons as theses servos offer more precise control and are well proven in the GS Aerobat world.

Check the date codes on your servos. Some of the originals servos were since updated with software revisions. Due you have the Hitec Servo Programmer? I burn in all my servos regardless of manufacturer for at least fifteen minutes. The programmed can perform this operation for you in the Auto Servo Test mode.

Important Information Regarding Digital Servos

While Hitec strives to deliver high quality products that work universally with a wide variety of other manufacturers equipment we occasional run across a compatibility issue with products other than our own.

In light of this it has come to the attention of Hitec, that our digital servo product manufactured prior to October 2001 may act erratically when used with a non Hitec computer radio where the user has programmed the ATV settings beyond 125%.

As a result of this finding Hitec would like to extend an offer to all owners of our digital servos built prior to October 2001. If your servo has the following identification labels on it, they will qualify for this free reprogramming service.

Hitec strongly recommends that all digital servos with the date codes listed below be reprogrammed with the latest software regardless of application or intended use.

The affected servos are labeled as"Modified" with the dates listed below:
APR2001
MAY2001
JUNE2001
JULY2001
AUG2001
You can return your servos to the Hitec service department for reprograming with the latest software version, or you can upgrade the servo software yourself, using the RESET function of the Hitec HFP-10 Digital Servo Programmer with software version, 1.03 or higher. This will "update" your servo and should fix any known conflict with the non-Hitec equipment.

Additionally any HFP-10 programmers that contain a software version earlier than version 1.03 can be upgraded free of charge by by returning it to our service department in Poway, California.

As far as battery technology goes, it your call. The most durable, trouble free and robust technology is NiCad’s. NiMh is a good option with weight savings. Lithium’s work great as well but require a larger investment, regulators and a dedicated charger.

Definitely use a 5-cell 6.0V power supply. Digital servos are hungry, the associated losses with multiple extensions, connectors and switches merit the need for the elevated voltage levels afforded with a 6.0V system.

Two batteries and switches would be my preference for this model.

Capacity wise I would look at batteries of a minimum capacity of 1500mAh.

Check your batteries between every flight with a loaded 1 amp ESV, 5.5V would be a reasonable NO fly voltage with 6.0v power supply.