Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Hitec Spectrum Module in Futaba 9C

Old 06-11-2002, 04:02 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Spectrum Module in Futaba 9C

Mike,
I read the following on another post:

FYI -- before it comes up or gets confused -- the Hitec spectra module WILL FIT in an 8U, 9C, etc; however, per the AMA, FCC, Hitec and Futaba, the spectra module is not certified with any Futaba radio and therefore is not legal IN THE US (and may not be in other countries) for use in any Futaba radios.

My question is this, what prevents Hitec in getting the Spectra module certified for Futaba? Are there any legal or patent issues that prevent this from happening?
Old 06-11-2002, 09:52 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

The Spectra module is being used successfully in the older 7 and 8U series radios but be aware that Futaba has changed something in the 9C and it does not transmit directly on channel so it should not be used.

As for getting it type accepted by the FCC... I really don't want to get into the logistics of this. Just take my word that it will never happen for many reasons.

Mike.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:58 PM
sherman-RCU
My Feedback: (19)

I've been using my Spectra in my 9C for 6 months now (I fly a LOT) with absolutely no problems at all.
Old 06-18-2002, 04:22 PM
MikeMayberry

It does not transmit exactly "on channel" like the older Futabas do.

It is not advised.

Mike.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:19 PM
r_rich

NOT on channel?

Does this mean the Hi-tec Rx Crystals aren't compatible with the Futaba 9C?

I'm new and kind of confused on the term not on channel
(isn't channel 15 Futaba channel 15 Hitec).

Rich
Old 03-27-2003, 04:50 PM
MikeMayberry

You should always use the origional manufacturers crystal in any receiver because the tolerences vary from each manufacturer.

Mike.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:22 PM
Lt. Dan
My Feedback: (21)

I was concerned about this too. I have tried my friend's Spectra module in my 9C and was skeptical. I've tried it on four different freqs with four different aircraft (all Futaba RX's) and have not had any problems. If this is such a big issue, why do the two work together in the first place?
Old 06-30-2003, 04:44 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Originally posted by Lt. Dan
I was concerned about this too. I have tried my friend's Spectra module in my 9C and was skeptical. I've tried it on four different freqs with four different aircraft (all Futaba RX's) and have not had any problems. If this is such a big issue, why do the two work together in the first place?
Sure....they work now....but what happens when your $200 or $500 plane goes down?
Personally I wouldnt risk my plane with it, and if something happens don't think the AMA will help. It is against the safety code you agree to when you enroll...
Old 06-30-2003, 06:09 PM
Lt. Dan

Originally posted by *Crash*Johnson*
Sure....they work now....but what happens when your $200 or $500 plane goes down?
Personally I wouldnt risk my plane with it, and if something happens don't think the AMA will help. It is against the safety code you agree to when you enroll...
Sure they work now? My futaba module works now too, does that mean that it could never fail while the hi-tec unit is destined to?

There are dozens of posts on RCU scolding people for using this combo, but have you heard of any reports of this equipment combination causing a malfunction due to incompatability? And they've been using them for how many years now????
Old 06-30-2003, 06:18 PM
sherman-RCU
My Feedback: (19)

"There are dozens of posts on RCU scolding people for using this combo, but have you heard of any reports of this equipment combination causing a malfunction due to incompatability? And they've been using them for how many years now????"

Nope

Mine's still going strong after yet another year.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:51 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets give this thread a slight different twist.

You'all are concerned about whether the 9C/Spectrum combo works OK for your application. Mike says this does not tranmit on center. What about the channels adjacent to yours and the risk you pose to someone elses airplane?

Do me a favor. If you participate in Fly-Ins in the central Atlantic region post me so I can stay clear of them. I have enough problems keeping my own equipment straight without having to worry about someone else's illegal activities crashing my airplane.

BTW, this is my current equipment list:

1) Futaba 9C - TX Module 38
2) Futaba 8AU - TX Module 35
3) Hitec Eclipse 7 - TX Module Spectrum

And I do not risk other people's planes by using my Spectrum in my Futabas.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:19 PM
MikeMayberry

Let's end the discussion on this in the Hitec forum. If you all want to discuss it further please post it in the radios forum.

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2003, 12:07 AM
Lt. Dan

Originally posted by hilleja
Lets give this thread a slight different twist.

You'all are concerned about whether the 9C/Spectrum combo works OK for your application. Mike says this does not tranmit on center. What about the channels adjacent to yours and the risk you pose to someone elses airplane?

Do me a favor. If you participate in Fly-Ins in the central Atlantic region post me so I can stay clear of them. I have enough problems keeping my own equipment straight without having to worry about someone else's illegal activities crashing my airplane.

BTW, this is my current equipment list:

1) Futaba 9C - TX Module 38
2) Futaba 8AU - TX Module 35
3) Hitec Eclipse 7 - TX Module Spectrum

And I do not risk other people's planes by using my Spectrum in my Futabas.

Where's the different twist? Just another member scolding others... you probably look down on people that tear the tags from their mattresses too...