Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

5625 problems

Old 04-05-2004, 07:14 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5625 problems

I have 8- 5625's in a 33%Cap. 2 servos on one aileron after 5 minutes or so will start climbing slowly to full deflection and then come back to center. If any input is put in, it sticks at that input then irratically comes back to a center. If I keep messing with it it will go full deflection and stick which it did during a flight. I am sending these back for repair but Im scared of the other 6. Should I send them all in? These servos have all been matched and set-up with the programmer. The servo's have approximately 20 flights on them. The ones that are bad work great for about 5 minutes then this behavior starts. I dont think I can be so lucky next time..Thanks for any advice, Walt
Old 04-05-2004, 09:41 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 5625 problems

Walt

Are these older servos? These same problems are often a direct result of the components used to install the servos. There were some early servos that had problems; maybe you’re not so lucky...

Accurately describe your installation, i.e., wire sizes, extensions (buffers, amplifiers), wyes, servo count on surfaces, battery(s), battery voltage, etc...
Old 04-06-2004, 03:14 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought four 5625MGs just over a week ago. I was persuaded to much against my better judgement and previous experience with this brand. They have only been tested on the bench with no extensions, no funny other stuff to blame. After just 10 - 15 minutes bench use, two of the four have gone duff. They bounce like mad, stop responding for several seconds and so on. How long before the other two also go duff?

I wish now I had never let myself be persuaded to waste my own money on Hitec. I am really aggrieved, and it confirms yet again the poor reputation that the Hitec brand has in Europe.

H
Old 04-06-2004, 08:10 AM
BBW Walt

ORIGINAL: mglavin

Walt

Are these older servos? These same problems are often a direct result of the components used to install the servos. There were some early servos that had problems; maybe you’re not so lucky...

Accurately describe your installation, i.e., wire sizes, extensions (buffers, amplifiers), wyes, servo count on surfaces, battery(s), battery voltage, etc...
Im running 2-5625 servo's per wing panel. The extensions I make using 22ga. servo wire with gold pin sets from Dymond. Each servo has its own lead cut to avoid "ANY" extra length. The 2 extensions are "Y"ed into a MAXX HD Double link 22ga. 6 inch lead into 1 Futaba R149DP pcm receiver. Im running 2-2700Nimh 5 cell packs straight up. All switches are the Maxx One piece hd switch..No Buffers, regulators, all straight up. The entire plane is set-up similar. I have reversed the aileron channel's to isolate this servo problem. Im quite sure this is a servo problem. The servo's were bought last fall maybe October of 2003 from Chief Aircraft. I have 5 other planes 35-40% using this basic set-up with exception of isolators on the 40% stuff. All other planes I use 5945's with "O" issues. This plane in question is my engine test bed currently breaking in a QS-106..Its a H9 232..Thanks for a look over Mike...walt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89215.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	119327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63655.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	119328  
Old 04-06-2004, 09:53 AM
BBW Walt

Shortly after I posted the one above this, I put the plane together with the wing with the questionable servo. I put the wing on the opposite side so the bottom was up to watch the servos. It worked perfectly for 12 minutes on my TX counter and then started being spazmatic..Its the outboard servo. Picture shows what should be center on aileron during this trial..Walt

Name:	Rp44054.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	119341  
Old 04-06-2004, 04:23 PM
Crash90
My Feedback: (17)

Have you tried removing the linkage on the inboard servo and running just the outside servo to see if the problem persists?
Old 04-06-2004, 04:48 PM
BBW Walt

ORIGINAL: Crash90

Have you tried removing the linkage on the inboard servo and running just the outside servo to see if the problem persists?
I have not tried that but I will, Thanks Crash 90
Old 04-06-2004, 06:21 PM
mglavin

Walt

Sounds like your basic setup is up to the job. If I understood correctly each wing panel has custom length extensions plugged into a MAXX HD wye? Or are the connections soldered or hard connected to the wye?

I would suggest you try and recreate the problem less the wye. Disconnect the second servo and drive one servo directly without the wye or extension. If the problem is still evident the servo is obviously at fault.

You may well have an earlier servo that exhibited problems. I believe there may have been motor problems that showed up after the servo warmed up.

Generally when I hear of these problems I’ve found that it was directly associated with the installation, specifically the servo wire connectors of extensions and wyes. The 5600 series uses a cored 3-pole motor which appears to be more problematic when exposed to voltage degradation than others.

Do you have the servo programmer? Have you used it to update the software and reprogram the servo centers and end-points?
Old 04-06-2004, 06:22 PM
mglavin

ORIGINAL: HarryC

I bought four 5625MGs just over a week ago. I was persuaded to much against my better judgement and previous experience with this brand. They have only been tested on the bench with no extensions, no funny other stuff to blame. After just 10 - 15 minutes bench use, two of the four have gone duff. They bounce like mad, stop responding for several seconds and so on. How long before the other two also go duff?

I wish now I had never let myself be persuaded to waste my own money on Hitec. I am really aggrieved, and it confirms yet again the poor reputation that the Hitec brand has in Europe.

H
Harry

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with your Hitec 5600 series servos. Was it not deemed that you had the early servos with the dated software revision? Are you not utilizing Multiplex RX's? These have been an issue with the control signal needs of this specific series of Hitec digitals. If I recall the control voltage signal is degraded due to a resistor is series with the individual output of MPX RX's. Due to the nature of the 5600 series Hitec Digitals the control voltage issue becomes prevalent.

In any event these servos have for the most part, been well proven by hundreds of satisfied modelers in small to large aerobatic models. If you in fact have these earlier servos you may find them problematic. It's an unfortunate fact of design and manufacturing that all things can and will have problems, be it manufacturing tolerances, quality control or possibly even software which interacts with other OEM equipment needs.

Software update aside, as I mentioned there were some servos that seemed to have issues after they were thouroughly warmed up, as I mentioned in the previous post I believe the motors may have been at fault.

Consider returning the servos to Hitec indicating you'd like them replaced and give them another shot...
Old 04-06-2004, 06:36 PM
BBW Walt

Walt

Sounds like your basic setup is up to the job. If I understood correctly each wing panel has custom length extensions plugged into a MAXX HD wye? Or are the connections soldered or hard connected to the wye?

I would suggest you try and recreate the problem less the wye. Disconnect the second servo and drive one servo directly without the wye or extension. If the problem is still evident the servo is obviously at fault.

You may well have an earlier servo that exhibited problems. I believe there may have been motor problems that showed up after the servo warmed up.

Generally when I hear of these problems I’ve found that it was directly associated with the installation, specifically the servo wire connectors of extensions and wyes. The 5600 series uses a cored 3-pole motor which appears to be more problematic when exposed to voltage degradation than others.

Do you have the servo programmer? Have you used it to update the software and reprogram the servo centers and end-points?
I initially set up the servo's with the programmer or matched the servos so to speak. The extensions are custom made with plugs at each end which do plug into the y's. I will try as you suggested and eliminate the extension, y and directly plug the servo into a bench receiver and see what happens. Thanks for your thoughts on this, Walt
Old 04-06-2004, 06:49 PM
mglavin

Walt

You didn't metion if you updated the software with a firmware "RESET" with the hand held programmer prior to programming the desired neutral and end-points.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:21 PM
BBW Walt

Before I program any servo I have been doing a program RESET as per the HFP-10 Operation Manual. Im guessing this is what you are referring to as my instruction sheet has no mention of a firmware reset. Is this correct? Walt
Old 04-06-2004, 08:28 PM
mglavin

Yes, PROGRAM RESET is the term...
Old 04-07-2004, 02:50 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you not utilizing Multiplex RX's? These have been an issue with the control signal needs of this specific series of Hitec digitals. If I recall the control voltage signal is degraded due to a resistor is series with the individual output of MPX RX's.
That problem occurred only when two servos were connected by a Y lead to one output, that dragged the data output voltage low enough to cause trouble. These are connected singly, and to 6V so there is no question of mismatching. Also, they were fine for the first bit of time and then became faulty, one about 5 minutes before the other, if there was a data voltage problem it would be there all the time. Batteries have been freshly charged, tried it on 4 cells in case they didn't like a fresh 5 cell pack, the problem is always there now.

Unfortunately this experience of Hitec servos is consistent with every other experience I have had of Hitec servos, usually using other people's Futaba or JR radio and I have zero confidence in them now. The 5625s will be returned for repair, and then sold or binned. I expect all brands to have faulty components, I have had one crash due to an ancient JR servo going nuts, and seen a crash due to a brand new Futaba servo locking hard over on its first flight. But that is so, so, so rare. With Hitec, every handful of brand new servos that I have been asked to fit into other people's models use has contained faults. I have had them shred gearboxes while on the bench being tested with no load, I have had them run at different speeds and inconsistent travels which is very obvious on twin elevators, I have had a model crash due to one trying to turn through more than 90 degrees from centre, and so on. I know that there are people who say they have used lots of Hitec servos for years without problem, as did the people in the shop where I bought these which is why I got persuaded into buying these servos- then 50% of those very servos go faulty within 10-15 minutes.

H
Old 04-07-2004, 10:16 AM
BBW Walt

Quote: I know that there are people who say they have used lots of Hitec servos for years without problem, as did the people in the shop where I bought these which is why I got persuaded into buying these servos- then 50% of those very servos go faulty within 10-15 minutes.

The picture shows empty boxes of Hitec Digitals Im currently using. There's a couple HS-55's in there for fluff. I have 48 in planes current. This is my first incident with Hitec Digitals. I mainly use 5945's but, I have one other plane with the 56XX's in use. The framed plane along side the pile will get all 5945's also. I have a problem with 1 servo out of 48. I came here for help in troubleshooting this problem as it may have been my error and not the servo. My opinion of Hitec servo's mainly 59XX's, good as anything available. Thanks for the help guys, Walt

Name:	Nl28351.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	119635