Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Hitec servo jitter using 6 volt battery

Old 07-07-2002, 05:08 PM
KeithB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec servo jitter using 6 volt battery

Mike,

I recently purchased a 6.0 volt 1650 ma receiver battery. When I plugged it into my receiver after charging, two of my servos started jittering. I switched back to the 4.8 volt battery and it worked fine.

The servos that had problems were HiTec HS-85BB (mini servos).

I'm using the HiTec RCD 3800, seven channel, Dual Conversion, shift selectable receiver.

I also have some of the full size HS-425BB servos on the plane. These seemed to also make funny noises with the 6.0 volt battery, but not nearly as much as the smaller HS-85BB servos which both made noises and jittered a bit.

The servo specs given by HiTec list the torque and speed at both 4.8 and 6.0 volts so it would seem that they should work with this battery.

BTW, I'm not using any type of voltage regulator.

Can you give me some guidance or advice on whether or not this is normal, how to proceed and if I should just avoid 6.0 volt batteries with these servos.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 07-08-2002, 10:04 PM
MikeMayberry

You should not have any problems with a 5 cell pack. Does the problem go away after it has been on for a few minutes?

Mike.
Old 07-08-2002, 10:36 PM
KeithB

I haven't left it on for a few minutes because with all the jittering and noise I was afraid it would cause damage to my receiver or servos.

Is it your opinion that I should leave it on until the jittering stops?

If so will I need to do this each time I recharge the battery or should this problem decrease with use?

Thanks,
Keith
Old 07-10-2002, 05:14 PM
MikeMayberry

If the jittering stops after the peak voltage drops down then it is an issue with voltage. If not then it could be a bad pot.

Mike.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:22 PM
KeithB

Mike,

Both servos jitter with a 6.0 volt battery and not a 4.8 battery, so I don't think it's a bad pot.

You mention that it may be an issue with voltage. Could you please elaborate. Are you suggesting that the voltage of this particular battery is too high for the receiver or servos? Or are you saying that these servos can't handle a typical 6.0 volt battery at peak charge?

And how would you respond to my previous questions:

> Is it your opinion that I should leave it on until the jittering stops?

> If so will I need to do this each time I recharge the battery or should this problem decrease with use?

Thanks,
Keith
Old 07-21-2002, 02:38 AM
sigflyer
My Feedback: (5)

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi-21.htm

Maxx sells a voltage regulator for 6 volt systems. I have had the same experence when using a peaked out 6 volt system.
Hope this helps,
Johnny