Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

How do you tell if gears are stripped?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 12:50 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you tell if gears are stripped?

Newbie question time: how do you know if your servo gears are stripped? Is it a movement thing or a take-it-apart-and-look thing?

I have Hitec 55’s. They seem fine, but I had a decent crash today and want to ensure they are okay before I send them up into the wild blue again.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:26 AM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do you tell if gears are stripped?

If they're badly stripped then you'll notice that the stutter and grind when you command them to move across their entire range (or sometimes even just a small portion of that range).

If there's just minor damage then they may appear okay until you put a load on them. Under load they'll exhibit a grinding and/or skipping motion -- or may even stop moving altogether even though you can hear the motor spinning.

I don't usually bother disassembling my servos after a crash but I do check them under load to make sure the gears aren't damaged.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:34 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How do you tell if gears are stripped?

Thanks XJet.

Can I assume that putting them under load would be to apply some pressure to the surface and then try to move it? How do you do this? Hold the model by the rudder or elevator and move the servo?