Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Hitec 5945's seem stiff

Old 12-01-2004, 12:58 AM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec 5945's seem stiff

I'm in the process of removing my 5945 servos from my Carden 40% Edge and putting them in a Carden 40% Extra. I'm going through and replacing all the servo gears just for good measure, but I noticed that two of my servos seem stiff, both before and after gear replacement. Both of these servos were on the same elevator half. They both work fine, however they are a little slower than the others and don't seem to have quite as much tourque. They do have servo grease on the gears, but not too much. The alignment pin in the top of the case is not worn out, and there is nothing visibly wrong with them. Any ideas?
Old 12-01-2004, 02:00 AM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hitec 5945's seem stiff

In my experience, you need to check and make sure that the motors aren't stiff.

The coreless motors in these (and the 9xx series) servos are far more easily damaged by G forces than a regular 3 or 5 pole motor.

If the motor coils are distorted through crash or shock damage, they can foul the magnets and this will make the motor appear quite stiff (it will also reduce torque).

Continuing to use the motor in this condition can result in failure.

If you pull the other gears out and compare how easily the motor on these servos turns by hand when compared to that of a known good 5945 you'll know what's going on.

The coreless servos are amazing performers but you have to keep an eye on them :-)