Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Lithium-Ion Battery for EVO

Old 04-10-2005, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lithium-Ion Battery for EVO

Since the EVO uese 6 cells NiMH battery pack, is it ok to use a 2 cell Lithium Ion pack? Has anyone used Lithium-Ion is Li-Po pack?

I was thinking about using the NMP 7.4 Volt 2000mA/h Lithium-Ion pack sold by Central Hobbies. It has 25% more power, and it would be 1/3 the weight of the original NiMH pack.

Thanks

Wahid
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42448.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	256687  
Old 04-11-2005, 08:48 AM

Default RE: Lithium-Ion Battery for EVO

I had a similar idea for my Profi 4000, but instead of 2S1P, use a 3S2P and a voltage regulator at 8.4v. This way you would more than double the capacity, and deliver a constant 8.4v to the RF module. If you were looking to save weight, just make it a 3S1P and a voltage regulator and you would still be ahead of the capacity of the original pack.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:53 AM
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MPX does not offer a Lithium alternative. The stock NiMH battery has an electronic safety device installed in series with the power out pigtail that should NOT be eliminated.

Is the consideration for Lithium in regard to ON time with the TX? Many users have reported ON times of well over six hours with the stock battery.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:32 PM

The reason I want Li-Ion is because a) cheap <$20. b) Capacity 2500 mAh c) No memory effect and longer storage life than NiMH battery and d) lighter then NiMH battery. The one sold by battery space has a built in safety circuit board.

WOULD A LI-ION BATTERY BE A DROP IN ON MY EVO 9 ?

Features (From Battery Space web site):

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1199

-A smart 7.2V , 2Ah, Li-Ion Battery Module with protection IC for building up any Li-Ion Battery pack from 7.2V to 14.4V, and capacity from ah to 4Ah
-Using the PCB ready Battery module to make 4.8 Ah or 7.2Ah 7.2Vcapacity pack by parallel connection. Please don't make parallel connection with more than three modules to avoid uneven charge.
-By the 7.2V battery module, you can make battery pack for RC car, RC airplane, and external battery for Digital Camera
-You must use our smart Li-Ion battery pack charger to charge your battery pack

Specs (From Battery Space web site):

-High quality 7.2V Li-Ion rechargeable battery Module is made of two cylindrical 18650 cells from LG , PCB in the buttom.
-High Capacity: 2400mah
-Voltage: 7.2V
-No memory effect and longer storage life than NiMH battery
-Totally environment friendly, 100% recyclable
-Light-weight, and higher energy density than any rechargeable battery. Perfect all types of RC devices, especially RC-airplane. Runs your RC car and airplane faster and longer.
-Attached IC chip prevent over charge and over discharge battery. Helps protect battery chemistry integrity. Prolongs battery life.
-Please be advised that this IC will pro-vent battery's discharging current > 5A. Please don't use this pack for any application > 5A discharging rate.
-Dimension: 1.35 x 0.6 x 2.5 inch (Width x Thickness x Length)
-Weight: 3.5 oz
-Max. charge current: 1C (2.4A)
-Max. discharge current 2.5C (5A)

Thanks

Wahid
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72514.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	259509  
Old 04-18-2005, 09:41 AM
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hitec / MPX cannot and will not approve retro-fitting another battery technology or products into its equipment. There are simply to many variables.

The device I mentioned that is incorporated into the MPX TX battery pack is not the same device as you note above. The device you list is an integral part of the Lithium battery you’re contemplating and is a charge/discharge protection safety device. At what voltage this device suspends operation or passing current/voltage would concern me.

The MPX safety unit is comprised of a fusible link and a diode if memory serves me.

This battery you list is also a different physical shape, the stock MPX battery is configured with the cells end to end. You'll need the correct power pigtail and a similar physical configuration to retro-fit a Lithium battery.