Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Assigning Channels for compatability

Old 04-15-2005, 07:14 AM
Wayne Miller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assigning Channels for compatability

Hi,

I was looking at the new Optic 6 and Eclipse and both seem to do most of what I want. With the spectra module, the shift select and mode select, it would seem that I could just dial in the frequency for all my models and they should fly.

However, I think that Hitec and JR have different channel assignments. Example, I think Jr uses channel 1 for throttle and Hitec uses channel 1 for ailerons.

In order to be truly compatable, and if I want to fly a plane that has been set up with a JR transmitter, by using the Hitec Optic 6 or Eclipse transmitter, I need to be able to program channel one for the correct function at the Hitec transmitter.

Will the Optic 6 or Eclipse allow you to assign channel functions through programming?

Thanks for your help.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Old 04-15-2005, 09:04 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Assigning Channels for compatability

It matters not; simply plug the appropriate control surface into the assigned RX channel port. This will be different than JR as you note.

You cannot reassign the channel designations of either of the aforementioned TX's.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I thought it would work that way. However, this means that when I want to fly the same plane with a JR radio and then the Optic 6 or Eclipse, that I would have to unplug the servos and plug into a different channel each time I switched transmitters.

The problem is that first you have to dig into the plane and change the plugs. Second, as an example, if the throttle is switched to the ailerons by a plug change, then you have to make sure the travel, center, expo etc. has been set up correctly for each channel.

It would have been nice if you could have simply been able to select the stick assignments, something like:
Channel 1 = Aileron
Channel 2 = Throttle etc.
After that you would set up your preferences and then save the settings to a model name.

Another option might be "transmitter emulation", where you could select the transmitter that you would like to emulate, and automatically assign the channels to the sticks of the transmitter you would like to emulate. Just a thought.

Both may be a nice feature for future consideration, you could then fly any receiver/plane after a one time software set up on the Hitec transmitter.

Please submit the above as a suggestion for me.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate your time.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Old 04-15-2005, 07:37 PM
mglavin

Wayne

The only TX's on the market that I am aware of that will do the channel assignment thing is the Multiplex line-up. Oh yeah and I believe Futaba's new 14mz may do this as well.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:38 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi Michael,

The word Multiplex is underlined in your post so I clicked on it for the link, it went to sailplanes. There are two people at our field who have Multiplex, and if it is the same, its a very big radio. They both fly it with a neck strap - I fly Mode 1 and don't use a strap, so it probably would not be convenient for me to use.

Thanks for your help.

Fly4fun,

Wayne Miller
Old 04-18-2005, 10:30 AM
mglavin

Wayne

MPX's EVO line-up is well suited to your needs and offers an incredible amount of programming power for a reasonable cost.

Sounds like you may have seen a modeler with the MPX Profi or 4000 TX. Take a look at the EVO radios their similar in size to all the rest and lightweight too. We've been flying GS Aerobats with ours for over a year now and find the Radio system very capable.

http://www.multiplexusa.com/product_fs.htm

Click on the "R/C Systems" to the upper right above center on your screen tot seen the radio systems.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Javier Garcia

Wayne:
The Evo is in another level and you would have to change your "mental chip" (It is worth). I have one, and the Eclipse (also mode I), and you could fly with Evo on your hand or neck strap to be more precise. You can take it and see if you feel good.
About the other problem: the channel assignability.- There is a couple of "intelligent buddy box" in the market, but for teacher/pupil operation. So you would have a problem, but not when speaking about receivers from different manufacturers with the same Tx.
Javier
Old 04-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi Michael,

I looked at the radios and they look like they would do the job, I'll talk to the people at the field and check service and how they like them.

Thanks for the info.

Wayne

Old 04-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi Javier,

I had previously found a cable with an interface that will allow you to reassign channels by changing switches. This would do the trick as well.

I currently fly Mode 1 as well and I liked the idea of being able to change the Optic 6 or Eclipse to Mode 1 or 2 by programming and changing stick tension/ratchet. This allows me to sell it as Mode 2 (most popular here) without sending it back to the service center for Mode change.

I'm still leaning towards the Hitec, once I set up the radio, all I will have to do is switch 2 servo plugs to fly with the a JR radio. The dissadvantage is that it will not accept a standard trainer cord with a buddy box to JR with out building the special interface.

I'm still looking around, I'm in no rush.

Thanks for your help.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller