Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Seperate Battery for 5945

Old 04-15-2005, 12:00 PM
zope_pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seperate Battery for 5945

Hey Guys
I notice a pretty substantial drop in voltage with this servo on my DP Ultimate, and I believe this is the cause for glitchs I have had lately. Any idea what size battery I should power this servo with (as in a seperate batt just for this servo?) Hopefully this will put the end to my glitch nightmare. Thanks.

Adam
Old 04-16-2005, 12:02 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Seperate Battery for 5945

Please describe your model specific setup, i.e. engine, servo count and model number, battery type/size, wiring configuration, extensions, wyes and switches. Describe how you realize the glitches. PCM receiver?

Glitches are not necessarily an indicator for a low power condition, but maybe.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:48 PM
zope_pope

Okay, this is on a Dave Patrick 1.20 Biplane. I have a 1/4 Scale Servo on the Rudder, 4 standard 3004 aileron servos. All four are hooked up via extensions through the wings that connect to y-connecters. A y connecter is used for each pair of ailerons (left side has a y, right side has a y). The 5945 is used on the elevator. Its used on both sides (one servo). The throttle is a micro servo Hs-51 i think. And the battery I was using was a 1400 Mah 4.8V. I was thinking about going to a 6V. I dont know if this helps with voltage drop. I am using an FM futaba 7 Channel Dual Conversion RX. For the engine it is a YS 1.40 DZ. If you have any other suggestions on what it could be let me know. The Switch is just a Standard futaba.
Adam
Old 04-18-2005, 04:52 PM
zope_pope

The glitch tends to happen when applying elevator or at higher speeds. For example on a take off, when I rotate sometimes the airplane momentarily will pitch down. or at high speeds the airplane will violently pitch down all of a sudden and keep flying after that. Wierd stuff. Please let me know. Thanks.

(I also was using a wall wart type charger for the batt of less than .1C) I realize that this may have contributed to my battery being not fully charged. Let me know.

Adam
Old 04-18-2005, 07:01 PM
mglavin

My first thoughts are moving toward a larger battery or better yet maybe an additional battery and switch. The servo load is high for the 1400mAh battery IMO. However this may not be the source of your problem. When in the course of the days flying does the glitch occur, first flight, every flight, last flights of the day, how many flights a day? Do you have a battery load testing device?

Cycle all the servo connectors, several times.

Try a different RX, or at least have this one and the TX checked out.

Can you replicate the glitch on the ground? Have performed a range check on the ground with the engine runing and not, how do they compare?
Old 04-18-2005, 10:26 PM
zope_pope

I can't replicate the glitch on the ground, but I have never tried to load the servos with a friend and stand away from the rx. It usually happens on the second flight out, and I think it may be so soon because of my improper charging techniques. I have used the TX with other airplanes and no glitches at all. I have switched the RX twice and doesn't seem to help (I thought that was the problem at first too). I too was thinking the battery was a little small, and my improper charging techniques tend to lead me to think I wasn't charging the battery all the way. (It hasn't flown in 6 months or so because I can't seem to figure out the problem untill it hit me that my battery may not be all the way charged). If i plan to use a bigger battery, what size do you recommend. Would a 6v help? I have a voltwatch installed and when I move all the servos the light drops to yellow and sometimes to red. I am not sure what you mean by cycle servo connections, but please let me know. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:50 PM
mglavin

Cycling the servo connectors, means remove and re-insert the extensions, wyes and servo pigtails several times.

A rigorous range check is in order. You may have something vibrating that’s inducing the glitch. Perform a range check, note the results and then do same with the engine running at rpm. If the range is reduced more than 10% start looking for things that may create a harmonic, such as metal to metal connections.

I would suggest cycling the battery with a charge-discharge regimen to validate its integrity.

A 6.0V/1800mAh wouldn’t hurt my feelings any. However I doubt your problem is battery related. The Volt-Watch is indicating your voltage is decaying under load. Perhaps your battery is damaged and or old.

Obtain a RX battery load testing meter or device, these allow you to check the voltage under load with a 500-1000-1500mAh load while displaying the voltage simultaneously indicating if its safe to fly or not.

A wall wart charger is fine if properly used. I prefer a fast or peak charger, there lots of offerings in this regard. A wall charger should be matched to the battery voltage; your OEM charger is designed for a 4.8V. Which means a new charger is required for 6.0V.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:04 AM
zope_pope

Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that this plane has been range checked, and both with the engine on and off the range exceeded minimums. I have now bought a peak charger and cycler for my batteries so I can ensure that the battery is not at fault.

Is it possible though that the voltage is dropping to such a low voltage that the rx cannot "hear" the transmitter anymore? I think it was mentioned in my Hitec servo manual.

For possible harmonies, I think I may pull the pull pull cables out and see if these could possibly be causing this.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:10 PM
RC51
My Feedback: (1)

If you are using the Futaba 127 receiver, that is your problem. I had the same thing happen to me using 5625s with the same receiver in a DP extra. The problem is that the crappy futaba receiver has trouble handling digital servos. Switch to a Hitec supreme 8 or a better Futaba receiver and your problem will be resolved.

Doug
Old 04-27-2005, 12:12 PM
zope_pope

Thanks for the tip. I will try that. I have been able to duplicate the glitch on the ground, so we will see if this helps. Once again, thanks!!