Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Stall current for 635HB

Old 04-16-2005, 02:03 PM
Vismund

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall current for 635HB

I'm using 4 x 635HB for elevator and ailerons on an Extra 300, size 60. Besides that, I use 5625 on rudder and 325HB on throttle. All these servos are running on a 6V 1100mah nimh-battery. My problem is that I'm getting warnings from the volt-spy after just a couple of flights. First I thought there was a problem concerning the battery, but after cycling it a couple of times and controlling the status, there have to be something else. I started to read the spec sheets for the servos that I'm using and was surprised when I discovered that the stall current for 635 HB is 2500mA at 6V. For the other ones, I wasn't able to find this information. I'm now wondering if the 635HB is exceptional when it comes to consuming current? Based on the figures, it's extremely important to leave some room when adjusting the EPA. Otherwise you will easily empty the battery in no time at all. For example: When giving full up on elevators, when taxing around on the ground, you will consume 2x2500mA which means 5 Amps!!!!. That will eat the battery in about 10 minutes. Are all servos consuming that huge amount of current when stalled?????
Old 04-18-2005, 09:27 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stall current for 635HB

Simply moving the surfaces or servos to end-point will not stall the servo on a properly set-up model. You'd have to provide some sort of resistance to induce a stall or have a bind. Do your surfaces bind at end-point travel, if so this could lead to stalling the servos.

The 1100mAh battery should be more than adequate. How does the SPY work, does it load the battery or is it simply a voltage indicator? Are you stirring the sticks or is the reading during a static load.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Vismund

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stall current for 635HB

The spy is a Voltspy 2 from ty1. I actually don't know if it loads the battery. The spy only needs one flight of approx 10 minutes to start declining, even at idle. If I move the sticks without load, even the red LED's starts flashing, specially if I move any of the dual setups. There i also a remarkable reaction from the spy when I turn on the transceiver. It drops one or two !QUOT!LED's!QUOT!, and this after just 10 minutes of flight.
What should be the average current concumtion with my setup? 2A seems like a fair amount according to the spec's for the gears????