Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Hitec Programmer Battery/Charging

Old 05-04-2005, 12:11 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hitec Programmer Battery/Charging

I know this subject was covered many moons ago but never gleamed a solution.

Everytime I go to use my Hitec Programmer the battery is DEAD. The shelf life of the charge is almost non-existent -- I'm only talking about a week or two of non-use.

I have removed it several times and have cycled it using my Dymond Super Turbo charger -- it was the quickest way to bring the battery up so I could use it. Well, even that is not a solution any more. The battery will not take a full charge anymore. I have started using other 4.8 volt batteries but that's a pain because I'm having to lug this programmer around with a battery hanging out by the cord -- the battery won't fit in the case.

What is it about this programmer that bleads a fully-charged 1100 mah NICAD battery down to nothing in a matter of a few days, TURNED OFF?

BTW, this problem has existed since day-one. When I sent it to Hitec for the v1.03 upgrade I asked them to check it out -- they returned it with the firmware upgrade and no indication that the battery and/or circuitry had a problem relative to discharging the battery during non use. I have been living with that since. Now I'm asking if this is a known problem that maybe was fixed for someone else.

If you can't give me a solution then at least tell me where on the circuit board the diode is so I can bypass so I don't have to remove the battery to cycle it.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:56 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hitec Programmer Battery/Charging

As you note it’s always been a problem and always will be to the best of my knowledge.

The problems is inherent with the power routing of the programmer and is not addressable I understand. Unfortunately it’s an idiosyncrasy of the design of this device, much like how failsafe ON regulators consume power in the OFF position…

Send you programmer down to service when the v1.04 update is available and ask them to address the battery condition.