Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

split elevator problem

Old 05-19-2005, 08:50 AM
futaba7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default split elevator problem

Guys, i need some help. I am setting up a 35% edge540 with dual elevator servos( hitec 5645).
I have used a "smart Y" connector to get these surfaces working together. However when i first
turn on the power evrything looks good then within minutes one of the elevator servos (the right-side one) starts flappin like a fish out of water. I replaced the Y-harness once and still have the
same problem. Do digital servos not work with this set up or do I have a bad servo?? Any insight?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:39 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: split elevator problem

Have you tried switching the servo leads to the wye, this will help determine if the problem follows the wye or servo. There are some aftermarket “Smart wyes” that are not compatible with Hitec gear. Additionally the device should be specifically designed for Hitec/Futaba gear.

Why not run a dedicated extension form the RX to each servo and drive them with a mix? This is the best scenario and allows you to fine tune the setup with neutral and end-points while compensating for mechanical inconsistencies.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:48 AM
futaba7

Yes, I have switched the harness and everything looked good while setting up. Then a few days later i turn the switch on again and it's back to flappin. You mentioned that some after market
harness's are not compatible. The 1st one I tried was "expert brand" and the 2nd one was" MCI
brand". I have used them in smaller applications but this is the first time with digitals. Looking
to Maiden flight it Saturday so I appreciate the info.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very possible that the connectors are not very good between the ends of the Y and the servos.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:10 AM
mglavin

If you must use a wye, why not use a standard HD wye?

Again try switching the servo leads into the respective wye connectors and note if the problem follows the servo.

Have you considered NOT using a wye as I suggested above?
Old 05-19-2005, 10:15 AM
futaba7

thanks, Checked the connections/pins first thing.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:18 AM
futaba7

Looks like going direct will be the next step. I can just plug into #2 and #8. then set the mix
into the radio. But still wondering if there is some unwritten rule to not use the "Y' with digital
servos. Thanx for the input.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:35 AM
mglavin

I have used wyes many times on Digitals. HD quality components are a must. The only problems I am aware of are with low quality connectors and some wyes with electronic components, for reversing, isolating and or boosting signals. As I mentioned previously a Futaba/Hitec (verses JR) wye is a must in these cases and then we have seen some compatibility issues with aftermarket stuff.