Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

225MG??

Old 05-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 225MG??

I just made an order to TH for a plane and a pair of engines and a bunch of Hitec servos. Now a couple guys are telling me to be cautious of the 225MG servos.

Here's what I had planned:
Hobbico Twinstar with OS46LA engines.
HS-81 servos on the throttles
HS-475 Karbonites on the Rudder(1)--ailerons(2)--and flaps(1)
HS-225MG on EACH elevator half.

I thought the 475s would be fine for the ailerons if I used one per wing. I figured the 475s would also work fine for the Rudder and one 475 for the flaps.

These guys are telling me that the 225MG servos have some pretty high failure rates recently. I was planning on running them at 6V with a 5.1V regulator.

The elevators on the Twinstar aren't that big. I thought I was making a good choice by getting one 225MG for each elevator half.

Do I need a bigger servo? Or will the 225MG work on each half?

I did a search and found a bunch of complaints about the 225 servo failing. Is this problem fixed--what was the problem?
Old 05-20-2005, 01:34 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 225MG??

We have had problems with gear-train failures of the 225 servos. Hitec has since replaced the primary gear with an M/P output gear. This may or may not solve all problems as many modelers are using these mid-size servos to replace standard size servos. Many of the models of today’s world have large oversized control surfaces which contribute to the abuse realized of these servos. Unfortunately the servo is small and powerful but lacks the gear strength of the standard size units...

Hitec Service suggested to me the failure rate of this servo has been negligible in the proper environment.

That said I would not be opposed to using a single 225 per elevator halve of the Twinstar.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:17 AM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 225MG??

ORIGINAL: mglavin

We have had problems with gear-train failures of the 225 servos. Hitec has since replaced the primary gear with an M/P output gear. This may or may not solve all problems
Well, based on the failures I experienced with 3 HS255 MGs, I'd say that using an MP gear won't make a bit of difference.

The reason for this is because it's the larger (outer) nylon part of the gear that strips so making the smaller (center) piece from metal won't help any.

What's more, it's the same set of nylon teeth that strip in both the regular 225 gearset and the metal one so it makes no sense at all to waste money on the metal-geared version because it's not in the least bit stronger than they nylon one.

If Hitec want to fix this servo they ought to make an MP gear with a metal outer and nylon inner gear -- that might help somewhat.