Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Peculiar digtal servo failures.

Old 05-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Peculiar digtal servo failures.

I am a long time user of Hitec servos.....Hitec appears to give the purchaser "more bang for the buck." Now, having heard the horror stories over the last year or two surrounding the Hitec digitals....I am shying away from them altogether and sticking with the good old reliable analog types. I do have a giant scale Cub using 5600 series digitals, and although I have had no issues with them...yet...I am developing some worries. I am seeing a lot of the 5600 and 5900 series going up for sale on RCU.... Are folks just bailing out of them to avoid the apparent mid-air reprogramming tendency these things seem to display?
I wish I could develop more confidence in them, but there just seems to be too many otherwise unexplainable crashes publicized in the online threads.
Thanks in advance for whatever you can offer to calm the fears.
Jim
Old 05-21-2005, 04:56 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Peculiar digtal servo failures.

Jim

You'll find more satisfied users of the Hitec Digitals than not!

The problems related to the servos acting strangely in flight are not generally related to the servo in of itself. The most common problem centers around voltage degradation and or electrical losses experienced under load. What has been proven and is known to happen is the voltage falls below minimum requirements under load momentarily and this causes the Hitec Digital to reboot, thus the brief strange behavior.

Proper high quality wyes and extensions with gold plated connectors go along way to insure good results with any high power digital servo. An adequate power supply with a HD switching component is must IMO too.

Improper mechanical set-up affords binding which also contributes to unnecessary loads.

Improper TX and servo programming again contributes to binding and unnecessary laods.

For the record there have been some outright servo failures, it’s bound to happen once in a while. Service data suggests the Digitals actual problems verses purported problems are minimal and there is no cause for alarm. Hitec sells more Digitals than any other manufacturer, the more you sell equates to a higher percentage of problems and or purported equipment problems.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Michael. That is good sounding, straight forward advise. Just for the record...what is the minimum voltage requirement for the Hitec digital servos. It would be a worthwhile endevor for me to set up a test scenario with the plane on the bench, to monitor available servo voltage, as well as current draw, under an actual induced load.
The other potential issues can be dealt with utilizing care and skill in the set up and adjustment...but the voltage and current issue remains invisible until you actually go looking for it.
Thanks again very much for the quick response and valuable information.
Jim
Old 05-21-2005, 07:57 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim

If the voltage falls below 3.0V or so the servo will reboot. You’d be surprised how much the voltage will degrade at the end of a long extension with a high power servo, 1.0V is very common. Together with high impedance power supplies and or batteries you got big trouble. Some NiMH batteries are terrible. When five or six digitals are moving the load momentarily reaches 6.0Amps easily. Each digital has the potential to consume two amps stalled, but you’ll not likely ever stall a servo. It’s the starting and stopping the draws the most current.

You're spot on with the comment the other stuff can be easily addressed or worked around with sound equipment and installation skills. Unfortunately we see many problems which are self evident to those in the know. I think a lot of modelers graduate up into the digital and giant scale arena without the skills required to know the difference and subsequently have problems, blaming everything but the true culprit.