Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

HItec-HS5645MG smoked on me!!

Old 06-05-2005, 09:33 PM
madgti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HItec-HS5645MG smoked on me!!

I think i got a defective servo.

I still haven't driven the car yet. The controller i have is the JR XS3.

I am using this servo for throttle and brakes on an FG Monster Truck. I was just putting the lid for the radio box when i noticed smoke coming out of the servo i use for throttle. This is after i changed the end points to 40% throttle and 80% brakes. There is no obstruction with my linkages and i have no cut wires as everything is new and clean. I tested the reciever on all channels + failsafe and everything is still working but the smoked up servo.

What are my options? I don't want to send it out and pay out of my own expenses for a servo i have not used on the road yet + down time!!

The store i usually buy stuff froms often look the other way when it comes to deffective products.

Thanks

Peter
Old 06-05-2005, 11:34 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HItec-HS5645MG smoked on me!!

It’s possible you got a bad servo, return it to Hitec Service for warranty. There will be no return shipping expenses.

When you replace the servo make sure you’re not experiencing binding of any sort when the servo moves through its travel arc. Digital servos are very powerful and can burn themselves down when bound up. Simply setting your end-points to -40% thru 80% may not prevent binding at one extreme or the latter.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:02 AM
madgti

I installed the replacement one today and the servo worked for 30 minutes idling while i am breakin in the engine. Ther servo is not under load and i just don't get it.

Is there an upgrade i can do with this burnt out one?

I can plug my JR servos for a whole day to rule out electronics in my reciever and fail safe and nothing fried. All i can say is if this burnt servo had fried on me while i was driving i would get Hitec to buy me a new FG Monster Truck.

My end points on the throttle servo is set to 25% throttle and 80% brake.

BTW i am using a JR XS3 controller.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2005, 12:21 PM
tohm

I usually do not suggest using digital servos on the throttle channel. The reason for this is that most people tend to over drive the servo on the brake side. When this is done with a standard servo, the servo will usually go as far as it can and stop. A digital servo will try to continue the movement until it reaches the end point it was told to move to. This will stall it out and cause it to burn up.

If you're going to use a digital servo, make sure that you set the brake at a point where the car stops but the servo is not still trying to move. It takes some trial and error to get just right.

Send the damaged servo to the service department in California and we'll take care of it for you.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:03 PM
madgti

My end points were well adjusted and my servo burnt at idle as mentioned. There is nothing wrong with digital as long as the end points are set and also make you have your failsafe set properly soyou don't overdrive the servo. My questions is since my servo was a defect would Hitec Happily repair or replace my FG Monster Truck if it was a result of a defect in the throttle/brake servo?

Anyways mine is working fine and the hobby shop i got them from sends a few back every month i guess it could be that they sell enough of these to get a higher number of returns.

Anyways my thrid servo is still going "D
Old 06-15-2005, 01:36 PM
tohm

Though I personally would like to take care of any incidental damages that may occur, Hitec's policy is only to service our items. I wouldn't be able to assist with the truck.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:48 PM
madgti

Well lets hope the servo doesn't smoke on me while i am wide open throttle.