Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Question about elevon setup on a Flash 5X radio

Old 06-21-2005, 12:22 AM
ND_newbie
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about elevon setup on a Flash 5X radio

Hello, all. I'm working on setting on my Flash 5X radio & receiver on a combat gremlin airplane, and have run into a snag that I hope someone can help me with. The gremlin is a flying wing, with elevons. It is quite similar to a Zagi style wing, except that it has a glow powered pulling engine, rather than the electric push prop.

Here's what I've run into:
I'm using two servos, on channels 1 and 2, for the elevon control movements. Initially, I had the two servos configured with the servo arms pointing toward the wing tips, so that (from the rear of the aircraft), the servo on the right had its arm pointing to the right, and the servo on the left had its arm pointing to the left. Also, the servos were both mounted with the control arm end of the servos toward the front of the airplane. With this configuration, of course, when I apply up elevator, the servo on the right turns counter-clockwise, pulling its control horn, and the servo on the left turns clockwise, pulling its control horn. This worked perfectly. And the aileron mixing worked correctly, so everything was great. The servos were mounted on two rails running perpendicular to the fuselage, and were mounted with about a quarter-inch of each other, leaving maybe a quarter inch on the outside of each servo, so that the servo arms still fit inside the rain gutter style fuse.

Unfortunately, with the way the servos were mounted, there was no good place to mount the throttle servo. In a moment of inspiration, it occurred to me that if I turned both servos around, spread them apart, and mounted the control arms facing inward, I would then have room to mount my throttle servo between them. So I did that. Now the control arm ends of the servo are toward the rear of the fuse, the control arm of the right servo points inward (to the left), and the control arm of the left servo also points inward (to the right). So far, so good. When up elevator is applied, the control arm of the right servo must now move clockwise, and the control arm of the left servo must now move counter-clockwise. That works fine. However, when I apply left or right aileron, both elevons move in the opposite direction that they should.

I tried reversing the servos in the receiver, and I can get the elevator function working correctly, but I cannot seem to get the elevons to move in the correct direction, when applying left or right aileron.

Now that you know a little about how this is set up, can anyone here offer any advice? I didn't see anything in the Flash 5X manual about which servo should be plugged into which channel, but as I mentioned, swapping the servos in channels 1 and 2 doesn't seem to make much difference. I suppose it's possible that elevons can only be set up with the servos in the original configuration (i.e. control arms pointing outward), but that seems pretty restrictive. Can anyone offer any pointers here, such as the appropriate settings (beyond elevon mode, which is enabled) for the radio, with the two servos in my current configuration? These are HS425BB servos, which I know is irrelevant, but I include it here anyway. Again the two servos are mounted with the control arm ends of the servos to the rear, and the control arms pointing toward the center of the fuse.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I sincerely appreciate it!

Mitchell Schaff
Williston, North Dakota
Old 06-21-2005, 12:02 PM
tohm

Default RE: Question about elevon setup on a Flash 5X radio

Take a look at the FAQ on our website. It goes through setting up elevon mixing.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:42 PM
ND_newbie

Tony,

"Q. When I enable the ELEVON mix, my elevator behaves like a aileron and visa versa.
A. Because of the different types of servo installations, you will sometimes have to reverse one channel or the other. If by doing this, the ailerons then cause the plane to roll in the wrong direction, unplug the servos from the receiver and switch them. Then start the reverse process over again unitl the plane performs properly."

Is this the information you were referring me to? "Start the reverse process over again until the plane performs properly."????

This is a little like the IBM programming manuals I used to reference. One of the most common answers to an error in the program was "Probable user error. Correct and retry."

Seriously, I was hoping for a little more direct answer than this. But if trial and error is my only option, then I guess that's the route I'll have to take.

Mitchell Schaff
Williston, ND
Old 06-22-2005, 03:31 PM
tohm

Unfortunately, installations are different for every plane. Trial and error is the only way to solve the issue.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:20 PM
ND_newbie

I understand the complexities involved. That's why I tried to be as specific as possible. I have no idea how much time you, as reps, can devote to answering these questions. Especially given that there is no charge for the answers. So I'm grateful for the feedback. However, given that I've described EXACTLY how my servos are configured, and the exact problem that I'm encountering, I had hopes that you might do something like the following:

(1) pull out a Flash 5x transmitter
(2) set it for elevon mixing mode
(3) attach two servos to a receiver, and set them on a bench with the gears toward you (i.e. toward the tail of the plane), and their control arms pointing inward toward each other
(4) apply power to the servos and
(5) see if you had the same problem I'm having. Then,
(6a) If you have the same problem I do, you'd try to come up with a solution, and advise me what it was (i.e. which servo was plugged into which channel, and whether a given channel was reversed or not).
(6b) If you didn't have the problem I do, you'd describe the configuration of your 5X, and indicate which servo was plugged into which channel.

But as I mentioned above, prior to my "wish list", if you have only brief amounts of time to spend on answering questions, I can only thank you for the information provided above. With that in mind, thanks!

Mitchell Schaff
Williston, North Dakota