Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

5645 + Y + Futaba PCM

Old 07-12-2005, 09:53 PM
daqfang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5645 + Y + Futaba PCM

I have new 5645's with a new 138 rx and a hobbico and or futaba Y Harness ( both ).
I can't seem to get these guys to work together. Seperate they work fine, but when 2-5645's
are plugged in... nothing. Resistance can be felt, but thats it. I have 8 of these servos and all exhibit the same symptoms. When coupled whith a standard servo it works fine. Hmm
Please advise.
Thanks
Old 07-12-2005, 10:43 PM
wolfcbr2003
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: 5645 + Y + Futaba PCM

I have the same problem with the 5645's and the 5945's. Hitech says that their stuff works with anything, well not in this case. They say it is a software problem with the 1.04 version software. I am kinda pissed that I spend over $700 worth of these servos and I can't get these things to work on a WYE connector. Hi-tech told me that you need an amplified WYE connector which cost $17 from JR. I have been waiting for a fix from Hi-tech for 3 months. I am about to loose faith in their answer.. By the way the servos with software version 1.03 work just fine on the WYE but the chips were dicontinued according to MARTY @ hitech. Thats is why there is the 1.04 software now.

Hope we both get results soon

Wolfcbr2003
Old 07-13-2005, 12:08 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Hitec can resolve this issue but we have to change a component in the V1.04 servos to do so.... that's the good news. The bad news is you will have to send them in to us to get it done.

All new servos will be compatible.

Mike.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:13 PM
daqfang

Hey Mike,
Will the Y harness with amplifier from JR get the job done. That is to say, fix the problem without creating a new potential problem?

Thanks for the quick reply.[8D]
Old 07-13-2005, 05:52 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: daqfang

Hey Mike,
Will the Y harness with amplifier from JR get the job done. That is to say, fix the problem without creating a new potential problem?

A JR amplified wye/extension will not work with anything but JR receivers, period! Amplified wyes/extensions are manufacturer specific; for Hitec/Futaba gear use a wye designed for same.

The original problem with the v1.04 Digitals and Futaba RX's is an OEM compatibility issue that was not recognized initially. The problem is realized when attempting to drive multiple ONLY Hitec v1.04 digitals from a single channel source of Futaba PCM RX's. Futaba PCM RX's are not able to provide the control signal "sinking current" required of multiple v1.04's servo. The work around until such time that a permanent fix is an amplified wye or extension designed specifically for Futaba radio gear.

As was mentioned above Hitec corrected the problem with the v1.04 digitals and this is no longer an issue with new stock. Hitec can update your v1.04 servos, simply ship them to Hitec Service and they'll be updated and returned free of any charges.

Yes, you can use a amplified wye and worry not if you like. Additionally those with other RX's do not realize the "sinking current" conundrum.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:56 PM
mglavin

ORIGINAL: daqfang

Hey Mike,

A JR amplified wye/extension will not work with anything but JR receivers, period! Amplified wyes/extensions are manufacturer specific; for Hitec/Futaba gear use a wye designed for same.

The original problem with the v1.04 Digitals and Futaba RX's is an OEM compatibility issue that was not recognized initially. The problem is realized when attempting to drive multiple ONLY Hitec v1.04 digitals from a single channel source of Futaba PCM RX's. Futaba PCM RX's are not able to provide the control signal "sinking current" required of multiple v1.04's servo. The work around until such time that a permanent fix is an amplified wye or extension designed specifically for Futaba radio gear. FWIW:The problem never was a software issue.

As was mentioned above Hitec corrected the problem with the v1.04 digitals as this is no longer an issue with new stock. Hitec will update your v1.04 servos, simply ship them to Hitec Service and they'll be updated and returned free of any charges.

Yes, you can use a amplified wye and worry not if you like. Additionally those with other RX's do not realize the "sinking current" conundrum.

Old 07-13-2005, 11:37 PM
LeeL
My Feedback: (1)

Is there any way to tell if the version 1.04 servos are the new ones that will work with the y's and futaba pcm short of hooking everything up and testing?
Old 07-14-2005, 12:22 AM
mglavin

ORIGINAL: LeeL

Is there any way to tell if the version 1.04 servos are the new ones that will work with the y's and futaba pcm short of hooking everything up and testing?
The date code on the side of the servo should tale the tell. I'll have to inquire on the correct date code. However unless the servos were recently purchased from NEW inventory its unlikely their updated servos. More likely than not, you have the original releases IMO.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:27 AM
wolfcbr2003
My Feedback: (18)

He is right about the JR WYE's. I just tried mine that a local hobby dealer said would work and guess what the JR wye's don't work. You were right!!!. He couldn't find any amplified wye's from Futaba... Sorry for that false info I thought they would work from what I was told, guess I get to return more stuff. Any idea on how long this will take to get done updated? I will be returning 14 servo's.

Wolfcbr2003
Old 07-20-2005, 06:52 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

I have a friend that just got in some of the new v 1.04 5955's. He's tried several times to get them to work with a y harness/futaba pcm receiver with no luck. He switched the y to a futaba ppm receiver and they worked fine........ He's going to run pcm though in his 40% so I guess he's just going to have to run 1 channel per servo. I have a couple of the v1.03 5995's and they definately don't work with a y. It seems strange that all of the earlier digital servos worked fine with y's then with the newer programming they've had problems. The only problem that I've run into with the earlier programming was when I tried using a servo extension with an amplifier built in. The 5945's didn't like that at all!!! The servos would move a little then sporatically stop and go.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:26 AM
mglavin

Jon

Suggest your friend return the servos to Hitec Service for the update to utilize them with a wye and Futaba PCM. Sounds like the servo are the first release v1.04's. As I've mentioned previously the problem is not software or program related it's a component that was changed of the amplifier on the first releases, your v1.03 5995's suffer the same problem as noted with the v1.04's.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:30 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Thanks, I'll let him know

Jon
Old 07-21-2005, 05:24 AM
Ruddermayhemcom
My Feedback: (23)

For all the $ we spend on Hitec servoes you would think Hitec would test this stuff once before they release it to there faithfull understanding customers.Whell my patience is getting thin!
It was inconvenent to send in my programer ,then my 40%er had to sit for 3 months waiting for Hitec to work out some issues with the 5955s and now that I have got them and installed all of them them in my plane ,Hitec wants me to send them in for updates too.Whell why did they hold them for 3 months,werent they suposed to be getting everything strait then?Prety soon winter will be upon us.Some great flight seison thanks to Hitec.[&o][&o][&o]
Old 07-21-2005, 09:19 AM
mglavin

Tavis

It’s unfortunate there were problems with the Hitec v1.04 Digitals, but it happens. I am aware of problems with other name brand manufacturers, requiring replacement parts and refitting and or upgrading of their servos too. OEM compatibility together with programmable architecture is a work in progress, thus the need to update your programmer’s software periodically. The decision to shelve the servos and or model was yours at know time has Hitec suggested the servos were unusable. Yes there were some problems that were addressed and we explained the pros/cons and provided information on use.

Are you using Futaba PCM RX’s?

The turn around for the servo update is approximately 7-10 days. The update is not required unless you want to use Futaba PCM RX’s and two or more servos on a wye driven from a single channel port/source. The 5955 servos have been working without issue for hundreds of modelers since their release. The Futaba conundrum is worked around by assigning the servos to single channel ports or using isolated or buffered wyes in lieu if standard stuff or you can have the servos updated.

All that said Hitec truly appreciates your patience and understanding.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:42 PM
daqfang

Update
If you want your 5645's to run on a wye and want to fly today...
Then get yourself some "Expert" brand reversing wyes and guess what friends... It works like a champ. The Expert reversing wyes cost about $6.50 ea. and I grabbed up 4 to run my plane.
The neat thing is that you can fine tune one servo on each wye. This configuration will only work with no more than one lead on the second wye, so I have used 2 on the ailerons, one on the rudder and one on the elevator.

Good luck All
daqfang [&:]
Old 08-15-2005, 09:13 AM
jeyre

I would like to thank all of you for the input here. While frustrating (I just spent most of last evening trying to troubleshoot this exact problem) I understand that software has "glitches", or as we say in the IT world "features". I applaud the efforts of Hitec to solve the problem, even though I am not quite prepared to send in my servos. I have 4 5645s purchased together and they all have this problem. I tested the reversing wye as part of my troublehsooting and it boggled my mind why it worked, now that I have read this thread it makes sense but last night it did not.

Anyway I just wanted to echo what Daqfang said on the Expert Reversing wye cable. It solves the problem, and based on MGlavin's response that the servos will work fine in this configuration I am going to do that instead of returning them.

I for one will continue to purchase Hitec servos, over all price and quality make them a great investment.

Thanks for all the help

John