Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Weird Optic 6 to Laser 4 Trainer cord Issue

Old 07-25-2005, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Optic 6 to Laser 4 Trainer cord Issue

Have just received the Hitec one way trainer cord, and hooked up the master end to my Hitec Optic 6 and the student end to my Hitec Laser 4. I have the spectra module in the Optic set to channel 24, (same as Laser 4, and FMA receiver on plane). Optic and Laser are both neg shift, like receiver. When I try to use Optic as master, and I pull trainer switch on Optic, to give control to Laser, moving Laser controls does nothing. Releasing trainer switch on Optic allows Optic to control plane with no problems.

When I reverse trainer cord, with Laser as master, and Optic (with Spectra module removed, as per instructions) as student, all works as expected: flipping trainer switch on Laser toggles control between Optic and Laser, and both transmitters work well with plane. Both transmitters work just fine alone by themselves without trainer cord controlling the plane (GWS SlowStick with FMA receiver).

Oh, also, in both cases, student xmitter was not powered, as per instructions.

What am I doing wrong?!
Old 07-25-2005, 08:01 PM
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Weird Optic 6 to Laser 4 Trainer cord Issue

From the Optic manual: Operating with a Taining chord

An optional training cord is available from your dealer. The cord may be used to help a beginning pilot learn to fly easily by allowing a second transmitter, operated by an experienced instructor, to be connected to this system. The instructor may override the beginning pilot at any time to bring the model back under safe control. For training, the transmitter may be connected to another Hitec FM system using the Hitec cord part # 58310.

To use the trainer cord:
1. Set up both the student's and instructor's transmitters to have identical trim and control motions. If the instructor's transmitter is on a different frequency than the student's, use the student's as the master transmitter and the other as the student's.

2. Collapse the student's antenna, and fully extend the instructor's antenna. If the student's transmitter has a removable RF module, remove it from the transmitter.

3. The Hitec cord is specifically marked at one end as the "master" the other end as "student". Plug it accordingly into each transmitter, with power switched off. The trainer jack is on the back of the transmitter. Turn the connector until its notches line up and it fits without having to be forced.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the point I was trying to make in my note, perhaps not too successfully, was that I did follow the instructions, as far as I can tell, and the system will only work if the Laser 4 is the Master, but not if the Optic 6 is the Master.

Strange.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:12 PM

Which is the student TX the Laser? Same frequency both TX's?
Old 07-26-2005, 08:27 PM

Laser 4 is the student, same freq, same shift.

I am UNsuccessful trying to use Optic 6 as master, Laser 4 as student;

I AM succesful using Laser 4 as master, Optic 6 as student.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:10 PM

Do you have a standard TX module that you could try?

Tony, what say yee?
Old 07-26-2005, 11:27 PM

No, all I have is the Spectra in the Optic.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:12 PM

Hmmm. Who is Tony? I have tried hooking every thing up again, same results. I think I read somewhere that a couple of the pins are shorted together in one end of the cord, would it make sense to ohm them out? Or could the fact that the Laser 4 works as a master point to a problem (yikes!) with the Spectra module?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:26 PM

I'll have Tony check in... Tony Ohm is the master at Hitec Service.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:43 PM

Well, it's been a while since any response, any luck with this issue? Should I send the cord back, the Optic 6 back, the Spectra module back, or...what?
Old 08-26-2005, 11:56 PM

I'll rattle Tony again, he's been out of the country of late.

Thanks for your patience.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:32 PM

Those two transmitters should work fine together. Try this, use the Optic as master, but turn the Laser on also. If this works, then there is a problem in the Laser trainer circuit.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:49 PM

Hello, sorry for the delay, within the same week I broke both lower leg bones, and had gall bladder attack, so have been recovering from surgeries on both, sheesh!

Any, I tried the setup with Optic as master and Laser as student with Laser power on...still will not work...sigh.

Any suggestions? I am at wits end with this trainer cord thing, tho I suppose I could just get used to using Laser as master.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:19 PM

I NEED HELP! Set up the plane with the new optic 6 transmitter. Got through setting up dual rates, expo, subtrims, etc. I'm running a y harness on the alerions and the dual servo (alivator) setup on the elevator. When I apply any alierion the elevator moves just like its connected by a programed mix. Left alieron/ up elevator, right alieron/down elevator. I've read and re-read the instruction manual a dozen times and cannot find out whats causing this or how to make it stop. Any ideas?
Old 09-26-2005, 09:06 PM

Here is a bit more info, I just set up the FMA simulator on my pc, and both Laser and Optic work just fine with it, at least for channels 1 through 4, which is all I tested.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:55 AM
My Feedback: (46)

I've got a similar problem. My Optic 6 with Spectra module will not allow my Flash 5X to act as student (no response). The same 5X will act as student with another 5X on the same trainer cord. The Optic 6 is set to the same shift, same mode, same ppm. I've tried every possible permutatioin and I can't make it work. Any ideas?

Ken.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:50 PM

Well, I haven't heard from Tony in a while, Tony, you still there? Out there in friendly Poway? Optic will not master, but will student!

Anyone have an Optic that will master?